Menu

I was reading a thread in K-8 and saw this math program recommended. I went to their site, and I like what I see as far as the questions they use for math placement - they appear very similar to what's on the SAT in their wording.

For anyone using this program, for level 3 or 4, how does it compare to Saxon in scope? Are the lesson problems word problems similar to the ones used on their placement tests? Do the workbooks have these type of word problems, or are they more basic to reinforce the concepts?

I guess what I'm asking or looking for, is to supplement Saxon with this program just for the word problems. Is there an easy way to do this?

TIA! :)

teachin'mine;1709093: i was reading a thread in k-8 and saw this math program recommended. I went to their site, and i like what i see as far as the questions they use for math placement - they appear very similar to what's on the sat in their wording. For anyone using this program, for level 3 or 4, how does it compare to saxon in scope?

I have not seen Saxon math beyond Algebra 1/2 so it is difficult for me to compare. Like Singapore math very few textbooks make their basic information such as table of contents and a sample topic pages available on their websites for the buyer to evaluate the book.

are the lesson problems word problems similar to the ones used on their placement tests?

Most of word problems in the placement test are comparable to those in New Elementary Math (NEM). In fact, majority of challenging problems from "Challenging Word Problems (CWP) - Primary 6" from Singapore Math are harder than SAT/ACT word problems if one has do them in limited time.
But
CWP is another book.

do the workbooks have these type of word problems, or are they more basic to reinforce the concepts?

There are many many problems in NEM so I have not used any additional NEM workbooks.

i guess what i'm asking or looking for, is to supplement saxon with this program just for the word problems. Is there an easy way to do this? tia! :)

NEM could be too much as supplement.

-------------------------------------------

NEM volume 3 & 4 are actually 4 separate books - 3A/3B and 4A/4B with respectively 220, 240, 129 and 255 pages (i.e. a total of almost 850 pages). 4B with 255 pages is entirely problems for practice covering almost all important elementary, middle and high school math. Along with Saxon say, Algebra 1/2 which requires one to do all 30 problems per lesson, the NEM as supplement could be lot of work. Currently, I am using Singapore Math for 6th grade for students with Saxon Algebra 1/2 as their regular curriculum and it is lot of work for them. Unless criterion of evaluation of curriculum effectiveness is known, choosing a curriculum is going to be rather subjective. One can choose any of the NATIONAL level standardized tests as criterion. Most colleges use them as criterion for admissions. So why not use test prep books as supplement? For example, A book titled "Real ACT prep guide" will give almost 180 math problems that once were on real ACT. Similarly, one can choose SAT prep books from College Board or from some other publisher.

Best regards.

MPCTutor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP Calculus, AP Physics, Singapore Math Grades 7-12

US Central Time: 10:18 AM 5/15/2010

Edited by mpcTutor
Nothing edited

I have not seen Saxon math beyond Algebra 1/2 so it is difficult for me to compare. Like Singapore math very few textbooks make their basic information such as table of contents and a sample topic pages available on their websites for the buyer to evaluate the book.

That's odd -- I was able to find the table of contents and sample pages for the Singapore books here:

Book 3A

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT3A&Show=TechSpecs

Book 3B

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT3B&Show=TechSpecs

Book 4A

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT4A&Show=TechSpecs

Book 4B

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT4B&Show=TechSpecs

If you were referring to the Saxon math books, then I would agree: I couldn't find similar info on their website.

Thank you MPC Tutor. We are using SAT prep books, and the SAT 2 Math prep books as well. And while these do explain how to go about solving the individual problems, I was looking for something that had challenging math word problems as part of its regular text and had the teaching of how to approach the problems along with that. She will be doing Advanced Math next year, and while the text looks very good, I'd still like to supplement with word problems.

I guess I'm wondering as well where Saxon Algebra II takes you up to in the Singapore series. After that, would you start with 3A, or somewhere else? Thank you again! :)

I don't think I've seen a "look inside" type of a thing for the Saxon books either, but I'm not sure.

Like Singapore math very few textbooks make their basic information such as table of contents and a sample topic pages available on their websites for the buyer to evaluate the book.
That's odd -- I was able to find the table of contents and sample pages for the Singapore books here:

Book 3A

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT3A&Show=TechSpecs

Book 3B

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT3B&Show=TechSpecs

Book 4A

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT4A&Show=TechSpecs

Book 4B

http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NEMT4B&Show=TechSpecs

If you were referring to the Saxon math books, then I would agree: I couldn't find similar info on their website.

Thanks
for the links in support.

Best regards.

MPCTutor

US Central Time: 9:46 AM 5/17/2010

Thank you MPC Tutor. We are using SAT prep books' date=' and the SAT 2 Math prep books as well. And while these do explain how to go about solving the individual problems, I was looking for something that had challenging math word problems as part of its regular text and had the teaching of how to approach the problems along with that. She will be doing Advanced Math next year, and while the text looks very good, I'd still like to supplement with word problems.[/quote']

Are you referring to Saxon textbook titled "
"? If so, then the commonly known "Challenging Word Problems (CWP) cannot be supplemental material to someone who is already at
stage since CWP are for the beginner who is learning to translate words into algebraic expressions. The Table of Contents of
shows 120 lessons with appendix on Mathematical Induction, it looks like it is a course work commonly known as "Pre-Calculus" and it may have its own set of sufficient problems (including some word problems) at the end of each chapter. As I said earlier I have not seen Saxon books beyond Algebra 1/2. If you already have SAT Math Level-2 prep books then for most students it would suffice as study material for preparing for SAT Math Level-2 test along with regular textbook such as

I guess I'm wondering as well where Saxon Algebra II takes you up to in the Singapore series. After that, would you start with 3A, or somewhere else? Thank you again! :)

Reference to Saxon algebra-II automatically assumes two more separate books as part of curriculum - i) Algebra-I and ii) Geometry. The switch from New Elementary Math (NEM) to Saxon is tricky unless one has already taught before the entire high school math including pre-calculus. The difficulty is due to Geometry/Co-Ordinate Geometry, Trigonometry and Algebra-II being covered all along in the NEM up to book 4A. On the other hand, NEM 1, 2, 3 and 4A should be more than adequate for ACT + SAT and sufficient for subjects tests SAT Math Levels 1 & 2.

I don't think I've seen a "look inside" type of a thing for the Saxon books either, but I'm not sure.

For a brief inside view of Saxon's
you may want to visit Amazon.

Best regards.

MPCTutor

US Central Time: 9:58 AM 5/17/2010

Thank you MPC Tutor. I already have the Advanced Math book which we'll be using next year. You assumed correctly that she's completed Saxon Algebra I and II and HM Geometry. I'd still be interested in a supplement which would provide additional challenging word problems, and NEM sounded interesting.

Thank you Eumyang for the links! It's hard to tell from the blurb they give about the contents, but it appears that it doesn't go beyond what's covered in Algebra II, and that may be right since they suggest 4B for 10th grade. I'll have to try to find one to flip through to get a better idea.