Menu

My children trying to talk with other kids about Hiostory

Today we took another child to swim practice with us. My son and this boy were talking, when my son excitedly started talking about Caesar, Hannibal, Sparta, Athens - you know....the usual Ancient History stuff that excites an 8 yr old boy. Whenever he would ask the little boy what he thought the little boy said he didn't know what my son was talking about. So, my son said, "Well, you know about the Roman and Greek myths don't you - there are some really great ones." Sadly, this boy had no clue. However, my son gave a breif ancient history lesson on the way to swim practice. It was so cute to hear him excitely tell about Sparta and Athens, about Hannibal's military tactics and a few Greek myths.

Both my children want to have a Roman feast b/c we've been studying Rome. They want to invite this little boy and some other friends. I think that's great, but I tried to explain to them that I think they might be a little disappointed. The children they want to invite won't have a clue about the time period. My children won't be able to talk with them about all they've been learning. (This is one time when I really miss being a part of some type of co-op.)

I know that by inviting other children, it may spark their sense of wonder. They may ask to know more. However, I'm selfishly thinking - if we go to all this work - they won't even have a clue as to why we're eating what we're eating, dressing the way we're dressing, etc...

I know I'm rambling - but I think I'm feeling sad that my children don't have alot of other children that are learning the same thing - so they don't have that ability to talk/share - except within the family.

Has anyone else felt a little lonely doing the WTM.

We do know 2 families who are doing TOG, but they are a year ahead of us. They are in a co-op, and I am a little jealous of that.

I did find another TOG co-op that is starting, but they are going to start with the ancients. I just don't think we could do another year of that. I really would like to stay on track b/c I have a 5th grader and 2nd grader. I think they might get a little bored redoing a year over.

Would love some feedback on how you deal with this issue.

Thanks,

Rachel

My son wanted to have a math party. I'm sure many children have heard of math but none that we knew at that time would associate it with any sort of party!

We have since met some kids who would actually enjoy a math party so maybe you will find some kindred spirits soon?

Today we took another child to swim practice with us. My son and this boy were talking, when my son excitedly started talking about Caesar, Hannibal, Sparta, Athens - you know....the usual Ancient History stuff that excites an 8 yr old boy. Whenever he would ask the little boy what he thought the little boy said he didn't know what my son was talking about. So, my son said, "Well, you know about the Roman and Greek myths don't you - there are some really great ones." Sadly, this boy had no clue. However, my son gave a breif ancient history lesson on the way to swim practice. It was so cute to hear him excitely tell about Sparta and Athens, about Hannibal's military tactics and a few Greek myths.

Both my children want to have a Roman feast b/c we've been studying Rome. They want to invite this little boy and some other friends. I think that's great, but I tried to explain to them that I think they might be a little disappointed. The children they want to invite won't have a clue about the time period. My children won't be able to talk with them about all they've been learning. (This is one time when I really miss being a part of some type of co-op.)

I know that by inviting other children, it may spark their sense of wonder. They may ask to know more. However, I'm selfishly thinking - if we go to all this work - they won't even have a clue as to why we're eating what we're eating, dressing the way we're dressing, etc...

I know I'm rambling - but I think I'm feeling sad that my children don't have alot of other children that are learning the same thing - so they don't have that ability to talk/share - except within the family.

Has anyone else felt a little lonely doing the WTM.

We do know 2 families who are doing TOG, but they are a year ahead of us. They are in a co-op, and I am a little jealous of that.

I did find another TOG co-op that is starting, but they are going to start with the ancients. I just don't think we could do another year of that. I really would like to stay on track b/c I have a 5th grader and 2nd grader. I think they might get a little bored redoing a year over.

Would love some feedback on how you deal with this issue.

Thanks,

Rachel

Are there any ancient fiction books that your ds really enjoyed? Maybe that could be an entry point if he shared them with the other boy. My sons like Thieves of Ostia, but there is probably a Magic Tree House set in Rome too.

Or maybe instead of a Roman banquet, you could have a Greek one and tell their friends that it is like Percy Jackson.

Or you could do the banquet as a sort of activity driven party, where you teach them some of what you've enjoyed and share with them your enthusiasm.

Otherwise, yeah, I know it's frustrating not to have like minded people on your journey, if only to share what excites you.

I'm planning on doing a Roman feast for the end of the first semester of Latin next year in co-op. Here are some links I found:

How to host a Roman Murder:

http://www.squidoo.com/roman-party

A homeschooling family's blog post about THEIR Roman feast:

http://counterculturalschool.blogspot.com/2009/08/roman-feast.html

Ancient Roman recipes:

http://www.squidoo.com/ancient-food-rome

I'm planning on doing a Roman feast for the end of the first semester of Latin next year in co-op. Here are some links I found:

Ancient Roman recipes:

Our TOG group is getting ready to have a Roman feast in two weeks! Thanks for a timely post; honestly, this is the most amazing information place...

To the OP, I'm sorry you feel lonely. This is the first year we have been involved in a co-op, and it has added unbelievable dimension. We only meet twice/unit, so it is not an overwhelming comittment. Don't know your situation, but if you are able to start something with a few families - it is worth it!

Edited by bookfiend

we did a Greek feast. I called it an ancient Olympic games feast. as most kids have a little idea about that. we didn't get dressed up, but we ate Greek food. all the guests brought a plate of ancient Greek food. We also had some Olympic activities, we did discus, shot put, and a marathon ( just around the block)

This reminds me of something that happened at a Cub Scout Pack event. There was some kind of technical difficulty with the event, so one of the den leaders was trying to keep the boys occupied by asking them trivia questions. He was asking them questions about Spongebob and other pop culture things, and lots of boys were waving their arms frantically to answer. The leader started running out of ideas for questions, and one little boy volunteered to take over for him. So, the little boy asked, "Who was Alexander the Great?" Total silence. Then he said, "Okay, let's try someone more modern. Who was Napoleon Bonaparte?" More silence, then fortunately for the boy, the event was ready to start. I looked over at my husband and said, "That kid must be homeschooled."

Ancient Roman recipes:

Thank you for these links!!!!!!

Our TOG group is getting ready to have a Roman feast in two weeks! Thanks for a timely post; honestly, this is the most amazing information place...

To the OP, I'm sorry you feel lonely. This is the first year we have been involved in a co-op, and it has added unbelievable dimension. We only meet twice/unit, so it is not an overwhelming comittment. Don't know your situation, but if you are able to start something with a few families - it is worth it!

Where did you meet the people you started your co-op with????? Most of the homeschoolers we know just don't school the way we do. I love homeschooling and I'm thankful we can do what we want - so I'm not judging them. I would just like to find a few who are doing the same thing as us. :)

This reminds me of something that happened at a Cub Scout Pack event. There was some kind of technical difficulty with the event, so one of the den leaders was trying to keep the boys occupied by asking them trivia questions. He was asking them questions about Spongebob and other pop culture things, and lots of boys were waving their arms frantically to answer. The leader started running out of ideas for questions, and one little boy volunteered to take over for him. So, the little boy asked, "Who was Alexander the Great?" Total silence. Then he said, "Okay, let's try someone more modern. Who was Napoleon Bonaparte?" More silence, then fortunately for the boy, the event was ready to start. I looked over at my husband and said, "That kid must be homeschooled."

:lol: That's funny.

I think you should go ahead and have the Roman feast party, and I think you should have your son be the "host" who explains, during the party, how each thing relates to Roman culture or history. That way, he can go into it with the expectation that the other kids won't have the knowledge he does but that they will have an understanding of what's going on based on his sharing of what he knows.

Tara

Where did you meet the people you started your co-op with????? Most of the homeschoolers we know just don't school the way we do. I love homeschooling and I'm thankful we can do what we want - so I'm not judging them. I would just like to find a few who are doing the same thing as us. :)

It was an amazing God thing as I was already friends with (4) these ladies and we each independently decided to switch curriculum to TOG. Then as we talked with more friends in our circle, they became curious and eventually converts to Tapestry! :001_smile:

Perhaps you can post on the Tapestry boards for someone in your area who is using Y2? At least, that is what I gathered from your post.

The co-op wouldn't necessary have to be TOG based. Just tossing out ideas here, but you could do Science and Latin together, IEW and Speech, a field trip based co-op.

I feel it is more important that a co-op supports your school and educational philosophy than matchs perfectly on every curriculum front. IMO, it is much more important to align youself with women of integrity, whom you admire, to spur one another forward in excellence and accountability. Sometimes, it just takes one person who is willing to assume a little bit of leadership and start the ball rolling.

good luck,

P.S. The TOG forum has free webinars on co-oping. I think a few have to do with virtual co-op, but there are still nuggets to be gleaned about setting guidelines and expectations.