Menu

Good history program and a question about sonlight

My son LOVES( X 10) to read. I thaught about just buying history books like sonlight and he can just read them and narrate them. He doesn't want teacher interaction he loves to just do his school and ask questions as needed. Will this work as a history program? Can you use sonlight without the instructers guide?is there another program that might work better? Or is there something similar to sonlight I can look at?

My son liked Beautiful Feet. I just turned him loose with all of the books. Most of the books have study questions in the guide (and answers), but some of the books are just read. We did Ancient, and US and World Civil War to present. A WTM equivalent would probably be to pick from the books recommended in WTM, but I came to WTM this past year and don't have experience with it. The US and World is boy friendly, they assign all five of the Marrin books on the Civil War, WW1, WW2, and Vietnam.

I'm sure that's very possible! They often learn more that way, than if they just read to answer the test questions!

I haven't done it in highschool, but when my boys were in 4th and 7th grades they were interested in the Civil War era. I was asking online for some program or something and doing research to find a curriculum. Meanwhile, they had read Library books, DK books, looked at maps, and had set up the whole Civil War with Army men in my oldest's room! They talked about it with each other, and with dh, who also loves history and knows a LOT about it. When I saw the army man set-up, it was surprised at how detailed it was. They had it mapped out, the names of the officers and places and people written down in a notebook, the wars and dates were written down too. I asked what is this? "Oh, that's Devil's Den, and proceeded to tell me what happened there. That summer we were able to go to Gettysburg, to the actual places they had studied and talked about. They learned more on their own and with that trip than any program I could've set up for them! That was a neat year!