Menu

English for Sophomore/grade 10 year questions (new)

I've bit the bullet and signed dd up for a formal writing course about half an hour from here. As long as it fills up, we're set for that. It will take about 3-4 hours per week between the class & the homework (I asked) and will go from mid-Sept until the end of May or thereabouts. Now comes the grueling part (other than the fact that I will be paying someone $10 per week to teach something my dd could easily learn if she weren't so stubbornly set against it;))--figuring out everything else.

My plans are in flux. She really doesn't need to do more grammar, so I'm planning to get one of those review type ones (is it AG? Can't remember, but I have notes somewhere.) If dd does this essay writing course, a grammar review, then I ought to be able to fill the rest of English 2 up with lit, right? She's going to do American lit next year because she'll be doing American history. How many books would you suggest for my science/math buff? Do you have any good recommendations?

Of course, if the essay class does not fill up, I'm in the soup again!

I never know what to suggest in terms of number. It really depends on what else is involved--papers? discussions?

But I thought I would mention that in addition to assigning fiction to your science girl, you might want to add some classic American non-fiction, something like Walden or A Sand County Almanac or perhaps even something more contemporary (Cod?).

Just an idea.

I never know what to suggest in terms of number. It really depends on what else is involved--papers? discussions?

But I thought I would mention that in addition to assigning fiction to your science girl, you might want to add some classic American non-fiction, something like Walden or A Sand County Almanac or perhaps even something more contemporary (Cod?).

Just an idea.

Good point. I didn't do a full course in American lit. What will be involved is reading and some writing. Sometimes just literary questions based on the various components of it, sometimes essays ideally, but I have to see how that essay writing course goes, since she'll have an assignment every week with that.