Menu

You can trade books at PaperBackSwap.com. I have been a member for years and it is legit. I have gotten some great books through it.

Book Samaritan accepts and gives away books, but they want to give books to people having hardship, as charity, so that may not be what you are looking for.

Maybe you could list what you have and what you are willing to trade for on the swap board. For instance, "I have Math World workbooks levels 1-7 and I am willing to trade them for Science Discovery 2,000 books A and F." Or you could list them as free and offer to pay the shipping too.

Most localities have a freecycle chapter. The thing you run into with Random Act of Kindness boards is that shipping can be PRICEY. There was a yahoo group started recently by a homeschoolreviews.com user, and I was all excited to send off books, UNTIL my first package set me back a good chunk of money. It is VERY low traffic, probably because everybody else realizes it costs money to send off free packages. Here's a link in case you want to join that.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSchoolRAK/join

Thus far I'm the only one to do it, but at our area WTM dinners, I bring stuff to give away. I've always gone home empty handed.

When you are reading threads, offer things to people who seem interested in that item or topic. I offer on the board, not in a PM because I'm trying to encourage others to do the same. Others may be doing that in PMs, but I don't know. So far everything I've offered here has been immediately accepted.

You have area WTM dinners?!

:::drools:::

I haven't been to many, but I did host one.

Kay brought some wonderful phonics stuff that I gave to a young homeschool family.

She also brought little kits of spices for everyone who attended. My family loved it, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

We really need to do that again...

We really need to do that again...

I haven't applied them, but I have located my thumbscrews for a certain poster nearer to me than to you. Perhaps I should offer to make half the food, as a pre-thumbscrew offering.

We've had a few mom's nights, but that night at your house when all the kids played was especially nice.

I haven't applied them, but I have located my thumbscrews for a certain poster nearer to me than to you. Perhaps I should offer to make half the food, as a pre-thumbscrew offering.

We've had a few mom's nights, but that night at your house when all the kids played was especially nice.

I agree. And I loved your garam masala!

I think the difficulty with "free" boards is that while most of us have great intentions, there are others out there who view such places as a great opportunity to pick up stuff to sell in other venues.

I (and quite a few others) got VERY burned by a woman on another, regular board a few months back by a woman with a huge sob story: child with special needs, no money for curriculum, bills, etc. Was looking for classic curriculum so that kid could "get the best education, etc. etc."

Well, lots of us sent great stuff to her. A month or so later, she was back trying to sell most of it, with the excuse "it wasn't really what she wanted, and her life situation had changed". She was "truly sorry, since it had been donated, but that's just how it was".

We had all paid to ship it to Canada.

We had sent this stuff in good faith. We could have sent it to someone who *really* needed it. Or sold it. Grrr.

I'm at the point that, if I end up with anything donate-able, I just send it to Martha. I know she is a good person and knows people in need.

asta