Menu

What is the funniest movie or tv show you have ever seen?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Dunham is really funny - you can catch some of his stuff on YouTube. He is so NOT politically correct, but dh and I laugh ourselves silly at his stuff.

Eddie Izzard, the guy who did Darth Vader at the cafeteria, is hysterical but his profanity is on the verge of out of control, IMO.

We love Monk & Psych, also. Psych, especially, is really funny.

Old Looney Tunes cartoons are the BEST! I love Kill the Wabbit, Beanstalk Bunny, Robin Hood Daffy, etc. I do like cartoons, though, and that's mostly what I watch with 3 young kids in the house. :D

Brian Regan is hysterical. All of my kids, from dd13 down to ds6 repeat the i before e rule as often as possible during school time! I also hear the phrase "many much moosen" quite a bit every day. :lol:

And MST3K is great! Boy, I wish I had thought of that!

:lol::lol:

...and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May. And you'll never be right no matter what you say!

BBC Absolutely Fabulous-Edwina is my alter ego.

Mel Brooks' film High Anxiety

Albert Brooks in Mother.

of course my favorite two center on the hypocrisy of the American version of holidays. The Ref with Denis Leary and Kevin Spacey is flawless due to the always brilliant Judy Davis. Home for the Holidays directed by Jodi Foster with Anne Bancroft, Charles Durning, Holly Hunter and Robert Downey Jr. dark,twisted and a must see prior to every Thanksgiving.

Psych is hysterical... as is Big Bang Theory (my dh loved Worst Week, but it didn't last long). My dad loves slapstick, but that doesn't rate on my funny meter as much. Maybe it's an age thing?

Older TV shows... Kids Say the Darndest Things is pretty funny (because they do!)

Arsenic and Old Lace (have to second that one).

Euro Trip also makes our cut

I'm talking laugh so hard you cry, gut-busting, peeing your pants funny stuff. I need some comedy therapy. :001_smile:

Just a silly movie is "The In-Laws" with Michael Douglas, Candace Bergen. The relationship of the 2 fathers of the bride and groom is hilarious....language could be improved though.:glare:

Oh! Just thought of another! Big Bang Theory=:lol:

Ds is an Aspie, so this is hilarious AND therapy for dh and I :001_smile:.

:iagree:

My current favorite show. My youngest wants to be Sheldon when he grows up and I think he has an excellent chance. :)

Kingdom Come with LL Cool J, Whoopi Goldberg, Jada Pinkett Smith... We laughed til we cried at that movie.

Forgot 'Move Over Darling' with James Garner and Doris Day. It's an oldie but a good one.

Edited by pdalley
forgot a movie

More fake documentaries from those same wacky guys:

A Mighty Wind

Waiting for Guffman

For Your Consideration

Also the movie Confetti.

I haven't read the other responses but my Dad loves Planes, Trains and Automobiles. He laughs the whole time.

:iagree:that is a funny movie!

Some I didn't see posted:

Wedding Crashers

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Mr. Wrong

Three Fugitives

Father of the Bride and Father of the Bride 2

Three Amigos

Pure Luck

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Wow guys! This is the best list ever! My Netflix cue is full of great stuff to keep me laughing for a month straight. Thanks!

"Liar, Liar" made me laugh so loudly that dh moved to another row in the theater!

This is exactly how hard I want to laugh. :001_smile:

Oh, and if I'm ever really in the need of some comedic therapy, like I'm feeling a little depressed, I go to www.rifftrax.com. It's by the guys who did Mystery Science Theater 3000. Basically they have where you can download them making fun of movies and play it with newer movies, like Twilight or Harry Potter. They are hilarious! But my favorite part is the little "trailers" they have. I just go through and watch several of them for an hour or so and feel better. Some of my favorites are for the shorts that they find. You know, the old educational films from like the 50s? It's amazing. I laugh every time.

Cute! Great idea too! DH and I used to love MST3000 and this idea is too funny. I'm getting nostalgic for that Dinner and a Movie show they used to run on TBS too. I think I'm going to start planning something like that for in-house dates.

I also love IT Crowd, I have it on my phone so I can laugh everywhere I go. :)

OOH! I just got an iPhone. Do tell how to put a show on it!

OOH! I just got an iPhone. Do tell how to put a show on it!

download it to your computer as either a .MP4 file or a .AVI file (if the later, you'll have to convert the .AVI into a .NP4)

import into itunes and then synch your phone

I have no idea what any of that means, my husband just told me what to type. :D

I don't want to harp here but if you like BBC shows, and you don't mind adult humor, check out Peep Show and Inbetweeners as well. These totally have "pee your pants, gut busting" moments. You can watch a lot of them on youtube, season 1 is called series 1.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
download it to your computer as either a .MP4 file or a .AVI file (if the later, you'll have to convert the .AVI into a .NP4)

import into itunes and then synch your phone

I have no idea what any of that means, my husband just told me what to type. :D

:lol: Well, that's a relief because when I read how to do it, I was pretty confused. I'll leave it to DH too but it's nice to know it can be done.

I don't want to harp here but if you like BBC shows, and you don't mind adult humor, check out Peep Show and Inbetweeners as well. These totally have "pee your pants, gut busting" moments. You can watch a lot of them on youtube, season 1 is called series 1.

Don't mind at all. It may sound odd but I think part of the reason I need the comedy is to have something just for me, as an adult...some inappropriate for children time. They're on my queue.

Thanks to everyone!

• 3 months later...

Guilty Pleasures aka TV Shows (I started watching both series late in their history):

The Office - preserved my sanity while we built a house. The stapler in Jello? Oh, my! (US version, have never seen the original UK version) Agreeing w/ the others, older shows are better. Jim and Dwight? They kill me!

Big Bang Theory - just got into this in the last month, have much to catch up on

Old Sit-Coms:

Dharma & Greg (someone else mentioned this. I'm not alone!)

This obscure sit-com (if you see it on dvd, please let me know. I think I was the only person who watched it.):

Almost Perfect about a TV producer and her DA boyfriend

Favorite episode: when he has a case w/ a woman who killed her DH w/a shovel.

Comedians:

Agreeing w/ all references to Brian Regan (had to tell ds NOT to do the little league routine at little league this year) and Tim Hawkins (that guy would be in an insane assylum if not for his career as a stand-up comic!)

Also, Bill Engvall w/ Dorkfish. This was *before* the Blue Comedy stuff. I loved him back then.

Movies:

Well, I'm making a list from this thread. :)

Variety show skits:

SNL's debate b/t Bush and Gore when the term "lock box" was used repeatedly, roflol

SNL: Eddie Murphy talking about George Washington Carver

Now? That Pips skit! My dc thought I was choking and dying I was laughing so hard. They came running in to see what was wrong.

I really love the movie "Best in Show"

I always say it is my favorite movie, but noone ever understands why, lol. I think it is hiliarious. I love this cast and all of their movies.

Christina

That is one our favorite movies!!! We have shown to several friends and honestly, they don't get it but I think it is sooo funny! Modern Family and The Middle are sort of like it in a way. GREAT MOVIE!!! If you liked it, you should check out "The Mighty Wind"...it is about bluegrass music and has the same cast actors.

The Office makes me laugh like that on a regular basis--the older seasons are better.

Yes! My two favorite episodes are: the one where Dwight sets an office fire for a safety drill and the one where Michael decides to play Survivor Man.

Don't know what it is, but those two make me laugh just thinking about 'em.

I really love the movie "Best in Show"

I always say it is my favorite movie, but noone ever understands why, lol. I think it is hiliarious. I love this cast and all of their movies.

Christina

I LOVE this movie!

I also loved Rat Race, but it's really, really inappropriate (they go to the Barbie museum, for example, because the youngest dd wants to, but then find out it's the Klaus Barbie museum...stuff like that, and potty humor). It was so funny to my husband, tho--my son said Dad laughed so hard, he showed his teeth! Ringing endorsement.

I like the parrot sketch from Monty Python and also Monty Python's Holy Grail (hence my avatar).

I don't like slapstick, really, and I can only handle a little of people being incredibly awkward--I do like The Office, tho (earlier ones).

Oh, and Little Miss Sunshine--GREAT movie--absolutely a favorite.

TV show Freaks and Geeks. I mean, I laugh so hard that tears run down my face. The dodge ball scene in the first episode had me laughing so hard my stomach was in pain.

There aren't many movies where I laugh out loud. I might smile or chuckle, but a full laugh is tough to come by.

I think I have laughed pretty hard at some I Love Lucy episodes. And I think I used to laugh at The Bernie Mac show, but I haven't seen that one in a long time.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

How did you all know I needed more laughter? :D

Thanks for reviving the old thread! Getting my Netflix page up and taking notes...

Others have said it, but DH and I love The Big Bang Theory.

Our favorite episode is The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis...it is so laugh out loud funny... especially the last 5 minutes (which can be found on Youtube). Dr Sheldon Cooper is my favorite tv character of all time... and I think Jim Parsons just won an emmy last night for his role.

The hardest I've laughed was while watching Coupling (the British version) but it's definitely not clean humor.

Arrested Development has made me laugh more overall, though, and the writing is excellent. There are so many running gags I've watched all 3 seasson twice and found so many new things. IMHO the best American TV show written in the last 15 years. The portrayal of the mother is priceless.

And I don't know why, but I find Golden Girls very funny. (I'm typing in small font to represent my secret guilty pleasure.)

ETA: Caddyshack. 'Nuff said.

Edited by idnib

I'm talking laugh so hard you cry, gut-busting, peeing your pants funny stuff. I need some comedy therapy. :001_smile:

The Disorderly Orderly. It's a Jerry Lewis film. My brother borrowed it for me after I had a severe car wreck and was bedridden with broken bones and several bruised ribs. I alternately laughed and cried (from the rib pain) through the whole thing. It was just what I needed to get me out of my funk, and stands out as my favorite comedy ever. I wonder if it would be today, though? I just saw it the one time. :001_smile:

Monty Python is one of my favorites. Lots of adult humor so I lock myself in my bedroom for that one when I need it.

Waiting on God is an older British comedy that I can't get enough of. Nursing home residents causing chaos LOL!

Dh laughs like crazy whenever he watches Mad, Mad World from the 60s. And as someone said before, O Brother Where Art Though is hysterical.

Carol Burnett is a favorite here too.

I love old Danny Kaye movies. Ma and Pa Kettle. Adam's Rib, The Egg and I. The Marx Brothers.

My dad loves slapstick, but that doesn't rate on my funny meter as much. Maybe it's an age thing?

Maybe it's just a guy thing. My dh loves slapstick . . . and now my ds's do, too. It's just not that funny to me. :tongue_smilie:

Cinder