Menu

What is the funniest movie or tv show you have ever seen?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Bang Theory is the only show that makes me laugh aloud in a long time.

Most of the newer comedy movies just leaving me going "huh?" but I do like Adam Sandler - Happy Gilmore and Zoolander are funny. Dodgeball is funny but there are some inappropriate scenes. If you like slightly inappropriate movies - There's Something About Mary and The Sweetest Thing are hilarious.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
If you have Netflix, the first five seasons of The Office (American version) are hilarious

Oh perfect! We just got our disc that lets us watch Netflix on our tv too! I have only seen a few episodes of The Office (and loved them). DH didn't ever want to watch it because we saw the British version and loved it. He didn't think anything else could compare. I remember being physically uncomfortable watching the British one. I mean, it was funny, funny, funny but I actually felt sooooo bad for the guy that I squirmed in my seat. Maybe the American version will let me relax more. :lol:

I love Steve Carell too. DH and I had a date night last week and saw Date Night. Loved it!

I've seen some funny Youtube videos as well. Nerdfighters comes to mind, and a Legos Star Wars video where Vader visits the Death Star Canteen (cafeteria) makes me cry every time.

OK, that was hysterical but I'm sooooo glad I didn't show it to the dc!

If you don't mind something a bit naughty, I'd highly recommend the British series Coupling -- all four series are available in the US.

DH and I watched this years ago and loved it. We were sad it didn't have more seasons. I might have to watch it again though.

I also like "So I Married an Axe Murderer". I really enjoy Mike Meyers.

Oh! A blast from the past! DH and I watched this one during our first year of dating! We just saw it on the instantly available list from Netflix so I'll give it a go this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for some great suggestions! I would say I have very eclectic tastes so let's take no shame in admitting what we like. ;) I'm making up a long queue right now (Netflix and YouTube) so any other suggestions are welcome.

:001_smile:

I agree with Soapdish and So I Married An Axe Murderer - both are quoted here fairly frequently, especially since our dc have big heads!

Dh and I LOVE the movie Oscar with Sylvester Stallone! We find it side-splittingly funny every time we watch it. However, no one else ever finds it funny for some reason. So I don't know if you will like it or not.

:iagree: Coupling is pretty funny.

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorites, PEEP SHOW!! It's hilarious.

I love Peep Show. :D I think two series of That Mitchell and Webb Look are available in the US as well.

Dh and I are big fans of The Office. I also find myself laughing out loud when watching Glee.

Not appropriate for everyone but I recently saw The Hangover and thought it was one of the funniest movies I'd seen in a long time. I expected to think it was stupid but it really had me laughing.

The one TV show episode that I still laugh about 25 (yikes!) years later is the Moonlighting (Bruce Willis, Cybill Sheppard) parody of The Taming of the Shrew. Now, that I'm thinking about it, I might have to go buy it.

Darth Vader visits the Death Star canteen is from a comedy routine by Eddie Izzard. I find Eddie Izzard hilarious, but that is not a recommendation! He's not clean at all, he dresses in drag, and he mocks my religion sometimes more than I can take. That said, I still love the Dress to Kill DVD. I saw it in high school with my parents and younger brother.

I also love Brian Regan and Jeff Dunham's older routines.

There was an old SNL skit called Rockers Help Explain Whitewater that I wish I could see again. I remember it as being roll on the floor funny, but it's been so long since I've seen it.

That's all I'm admitting to right now. :tongue_smilie:

The one TV show episode that I still laugh about 25 (yikes!) years later is the Moonlighting (Bruce Willis, Cybill Sheppard) parody of The Taming of the Shrew. Now, that I'm thinking about it, I might have to go buy it.

I remember that one too - "I've never met a man with pianist envy!"

for current tv, I have to pick "Big Bang Theory" as well. Those guys just kill me!

I also love all the Carol Burnett stuff (is anything funnier than Tim Conway?) and we bought my mom the old Dean Martin dvd's and they are funny too.

The thing that probably had me laughing the hardest ever in a movie was a scene in "The Ugly Truth" with Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl. Okay, the whole movie was cute and funny (NOT kid appropriate, and probably not some adult appropriate), but the restaurant scene (those who have seen it KNOW what I'm talking about) had me about to pee in my pants laughing. Of course, one would probably have to have a tolerance for fairly crude humor to enjoy this movie.

"Liar, Liar" made me laugh so loudly that dh moved to another row in the theater!

Several Carol Burnett episodes make me laugh until I cry. This sketch is one of them. ;-) The part at about 2 minutes still makes me laugh out loud.

Google "Carol Burnett" outtakes on youtube, if you want to waste some time and have a few laughs.

I like Best in Show and all of those fake documentaries also. Very funny :001_smile:

More fake documentaries from those same wacky guys:

A Mighty Wind

Waiting for Guffman

For Your Consideration

I don't know that I've ever laughed so hard, though, as waiting Waiting for Guffman.

Current shows:

Glee really makes me laugh, but so does Fringe (Walter is one of the funniest characters EVER created for TV, I think!...though not a comedy, for sure).

Older The Office episodes are much funnier than the current ones.

Older episodes of The Simpsons

Older shows/movies:

Seinfeld

Cosby

Raymond

Napoleon Dynamite

Wayne's World

So I Married an Axe Murderer (we still say, "Look at that giant heeeed!" and make up our own beat poetry al a "Woman")

Fletch

Dumb & Dumber "Pull over!!!!" "No, this isn't a pullover, it's a cardigan."

Stupid Chris Farley movies: "Black Sheep", "Tommy Boy"

Chris Farley on SNL

TV - 30 Rock, Carol Burnett (any skit with Tim Conway and Harvey Korman in it!!!) Black Adder, Fawlty Towers

(Not so much Monty Python anymore as I have seen it too much!!!)

Film - Gods Must Be Crazy, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Great Race ("Press the button, Max!")

Has to be 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Modern Family, and Community. Those may be slightly questionable to some people, though.

The Valentine's Day episodes of 30 Rock are probably my favorite. It doesn't matter which season. But you may have to understand the characters to enjoy it as much.

Oh, and if I'm ever really in the need of some comedic therapy, like I'm feeling a little depressed, I go to http://www.rifftrax.com. It's by the guys who did Mystery Science Theater 3000. Basically they have where you can download them making fun of movies and play it with newer movies, like Twilight or Harry Potter. They are hilarious! But my favorite part is the little "trailers" they have. I just go through and watch several of them for an hour or so and feel better. Some of my favorites are for the shorts that they find. You know, the old educational films from like the 50s? It's amazing. I laugh every time.

I can't believe this hasn't been recommended yet... Flight of the Conchords has to be the funniest show I've ever seen! It's not family appropriate at all, but here are two of my favourite song clips:

and
Again, NOT family appropriate! But oh man... so funny!

"You're so beautiful... you could be an air hostess in the 60s.

You're so beautiful... you could be a part time model."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Two comedians:

Jim Gaffigan - Beyond the Pale and King Baby

Gaffigan is famous for his bit on "Hot Pockets" - really, his food jokes are brilliantly funny!

Sinbad ( I know, really?) He just put out a new special and it has been showing on Comedy Central lately - can't remember the name of it, but it is hilarious! dh and I had tears rolling down our faces most of the show we were laughing so hard!

Inbetweeners! You have to like crude humor for this one though. I love this show.

:iagree: I love it! It really has to be one of the most true to life depictions of awkward teenage BOY that I have ever seen....at least the boys I knew (and the one I ended up marrying :)).

I like crude humor, like the Inbetweeners, but I'm not a huge fan of movies like The Hangover, etc. Movies are just too long and seem to lose steam in the humor department. The Inbetweeners is great b/c it's only a half hour!

:iagree: I love it! It really has to be one of the most true to life depictions of awkward teenage BOY that I have ever seen....at least the boys I knew (and the one I ended up marrying :)).

I like crude humor, like the Inbetweeners, but I'm not a huge fan of movies like The Hangover, etc. Movies are just too long and seem to lose steam in the humor department. The Inbetweeners is great b/c it's only a half hour!

Have you tried Peep Show? If not, start from season one, (series 1) it's very funny.

Funniest simply for their laugh per minute...

The famous You Tube videos "

&2";

same writers/producers I believe also did

& 2".

These are not happy go lucky, family comedy. They are definitely off color so if you go searching, feel forewarned. I have no idea what category of humor they go in, or if they are just so bazaar, there are no words.

For anyone who has seen LIH1.."My stomache makes the rumblies ....that only hands can satisfy" lllllololololol

There is a hotel that does swimming with dolphins and other sea life. One of the fish is a unicornhorn fish named Charlie:

There is one scene in "The Gods Must be Crazy" that had me laughing for a loonng time as the movie kept going on. I found it was funnier in a movie theater. There is something about a dark theater that directs your attention and makes funny scenes funnier.

That movie...I watched it in high school and DIED laughing. It's just SO Stupid that it's funny as anything.

My recent died laughing was THE HANGOVER but that may be too R for you. I had tears rolling down my face and couldn't talk.

"Liar, Liar" made me laugh so loudly that dh moved to another row in the theater!

Several Carol Burnett episodes make me laugh until I cry. This sketch is one of them. ;-) The part at about 2 minutes still makes me laugh out loud.

Google "Carol Burnett" outtakes on youtube, if you want to waste some time and have a few laughs.

Yes! This one! Genius. THey have to look away immediately they're laughing so hard. Absolutely. And so is Bill Cosby.

I've never successfully found a copy, but the week Gladys Knight and the Pips broke-up, Saturday Night Live booked " the Pips."

And they sang their back-parts to "Midnight Train to Georgia" completly "straight."

World.

Mine.

His.

Whoo whoo.

For some reason I found this to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Bill

I also love the Carol Burnett show! As for movies, I haven't seen 2 of our all-time faves mentioned - so, I am worried that dh and I just have really bad taste, LOL. We LOVED Little Miss Sunshine! We both cracked up all through that one. Also, Parenthood with Steve Martin, is truly a classic that you can't thoroughly enjoy until you are a parent. I love it!

I've never successfully found a copy, but the week Gladys Knight and the Pips broke-up, Saturday Night Live booked " the Pips."

And they sang their back-parts to "Midnight Train to Georgia" completly "straight."

World.

Mine.

His.

Whoo whoo.

For some reason I found this to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Bill

It was actually from the Richard Pryor Show:

:lol:

It was actually from the Richard Pryor Show:

:lol:

Nope. Somebody (Pryor) ripped-off a hysterical moment in television history, but lightining does NOT strike twice ;) :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
I forgot the NOT which does affect the meaning

Comedian Jim Gaffigan really tickles my funny bone. I tried to watch his show "Beyond the Pale" through Netflix streaming on my laptop while I waited for a plane at the airport. I finally had to give up because I looked like I was going into convulsions trying to stifle the laughter.

Erica in OR

Nope. Somebody (Pryor) ripped-off a hysterical moment in television history, but lightining does strike twice ;) :D

Bill

I'm not saying you're wrong (I was too young to watch most of the early seasons of SNL the first time around, and was 5 when the appearance on the Pryor show took place), but you can see SNL hosts and musical guests here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Saturday_Night_Live_episodes . :D

And it's not mentioned on their wiki page, whereas the Pryor appearance is (that's how I then found the video)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys_Knight_&_the_Pips#Later_years