Menu

Is it gross/unsanitary to combine kitchen towels with sock & underwear in the washer?

Is it gross/unsanitary to combine kitchen towels with socks & underwear in the washer  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is it gross/unsanitary to combine kitchen towels with socks & underwear in the washer

• Yes
    • No
    • Obligatory Other

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought twice about it- I mean we use hot water and bleach and detergent to kill any germs on either.

:iagree:Us too. I didn't know it was controversial.

That's how my Mom did laundry, that's how I do it . . . we're all still alive.:D Apparently not as clean as we should be ;) but alive.

I've actually thought about this a lot. If your washing machine is not working well enough to clean your underwear in the first place, you shouldn't be putting them back on your body. I mean, wildly icky to do that, especially after they've sat there for a few days in the hamper with the family's dirty socks, kwim? And the same thing applies to those towels - whether for body or dishes. So, I have come to the determination that yes, if your machine, detergent, etc works properly, it is okay. If not, well, then don't and get your machine fixed.

I don't think it's unsanitary as long as the right settings and cleaning products are used, but I NEVER do it! :lol:

I also don't think it's unsanitary but I don't do it because all my kitchen towels and washclothes are microfiber and get washed by themselves.

That's how my Mom did laundry, that's how I do it . . . we're all still alive.:D Apparently not as clean as we should be ;) but alive.

:iagree:

Oh, this reminded me that I had a roommate years ago whom I caught washing her toilet scrubber and bathroom trashcan in the dishwasher with our dishes.

Ew! I fasted for a week, after that one.

I know, I know. Perhaps it's just an American thing, but one I'm totally guilty of. Not very green of me.

I wasn't thinking of environmental factors. I was wondering why you want to pay to heat water to wash clothes when cold water will wash them! Ah well, I now have a new tip to put on the frugality threads :lol:

Rosie

You people wash with hot water?

:confused:

Rosie

I don't. I do tend to wash on warm/rinse on cold (the default on my machine) but if I think about it before hand, I'll switch it to cold.

Well I do it all the time and we're not dead yet. And I refuse to use clorox, so my germometer prolly just flew off. :D

:iagree: I don't use bleach, I don't use the sanitary cycle, and I don't wash on hot. But I do combine. There are not enough hours in the day for me to keep up with the regular clothes laundry, the sheets, the towels, the kitchen laundry, *and* the baseball laundry to separate. :tongue_smilie:

It never crossed my mind that it could be considered unsanitary. They are all getting washed, aren't they? I don't typically wash other items with my daughter's cloth diapers though.
Cloth diapers were the only thing that I ever washed separately. Otherwise, I only separate by colors - and in my house, that's two options: white or colors. I can't get into darks, perm-press, etc. ;) Everything comes out clean, and most the time, it gets to its proper drawer/closet before being worn again.

I've actually thought about this a lot. If your washing machine is not working well enough to clean your underwear in the first place, you shouldn't be putting them back on your body. I mean, wildly icky to do that, especially after they've sat there for a few days in the hamper with the family's dirty socks, kwim? And the same thing applies to those towels - whether for body or dishes. So, I have come to the determination that yes, if your machine, detergent, etc works properly, it is okay. If not, well, then don't and get your machine fixed.

:lol: This is my exact thought process on the matter.

:iagree:

Love the last part about maybe not being as clean as we should be, but alive. I guess we're in the same boat. I don't even have a front loader anymore (don't get me started on the lemon I had) but use my Fisher Paykel Top loader on a hot wash with detergent and consider it good.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I guess y'all won't be visiting me.;-)

I wash towels and and underwear/whites and lights together often. I don't use bleach, and I use a warm water wash/cold rinse.

They get dried in the drier in winter and outside once the weather gets warmer.

I wash everything else with cold water.

I guess we are gross and unsanitary.

I guess y'all won't be visiting me.;-)

I wash towels and and underwear/whites and lights together often. I don't use bleach, and I use a warm water wash/cold rinse.

They get dried in the drier in winter and outside once the weather gets warmer.

I wash everything else with cold water.

I guess we are gross and unsanitary.

I guess many of you wouldn't want to come visit me! I throw it all together, wash on cold, and hang them to dry. Am I gross?

:lol: Great minds think alike, I guess!!! Hey - we could visit each other!!!

I should also add that I never use bleach.

Oh, this reminded me that I had a roommate years ago whom I caught washing her toilet scrubber and bathroom trashcan in the dishwasher with our dishes.

Ew! I fasted for a week, after that one.

Okay, that makes me :ack2::ack2::ack2::ack2:.

:ack2: Sorry, that needed one more.

I guess for me it's kind of like the "5 second rule" for eating food that has fallen on the floor :). Probably not too sanitary, but oh well, I doubt it ever made anyone sick. I've also been known to leave food out a bit longer than advisable, and perhaps eating leftovers a little older than ideal. Hasn't hurt any of us. I am encouraged by the studies that have shown that our modern "over-clean" and "sanitized" environment can be detrimental, that all kids need a little dirt and germs (that's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it ;).)

Theoretically, if I had enough laundry to warrant more specific load divisions, or a particularly small washer, ie: need to do 2 loads of whites anyway, then I would probably divide along those lines: towels alone, undies alone. Since this is not the case, I don't give it a second thought, and throw them all in. We have darks, mediums and whites, and sometimes a pink/red load if there are enough to separate.

Incidentally, I wash on warm, rinse on cold, and use a dryer. I expect the extreme heat of the dryer kills anything the water and soap missed. Oh yes, and I never use bleach (don't want the stuff in my house), but I put white vinegar in every load, which I once read kills germs equally as well as bleach, without the danger to non-whites and to accidental ingestion or skin irritation.

Those of you who are disgusted by the thought of combining, do you have separate hampers so a pair of undies never touches a dish towel?

I have a basket for towels only - I change out my kitchen hand towel and dishrag daily so they don't get smelly (and bathroom hand towels about every other day), and often will hang them over the edge of the basket so they can dry a little and not mildew (which they would if I put them in the hamper with the rest of the clothes). I end up with enough towels at the end of the week that it's a full load of just kitchen and bathroom hand towels and dishrags.

ETA: My kids each have their own hampers, and dh and I have one, in addition to the towel basket.

Edited by KH_

Due to some plumbing issues we've found it's easier to do most of our laundry at the laundromat. This has forced me to think about how I do laundry more than it ever has since I've been married, and this very poll question has crossed my mind.

I actually do wash our underwear and our towels together, but only in hot water. I don't take bleach because I want one less thing to carry. A load of laundry costs me the same whether I wash it on hot or cold, so I definitely use hot for its germ-killing properties (and I have read articles suggesting to do this) for my combined underwear/towel load but warm and cold for my other loads.

Before I had to take my laundry elsewhere I would have run smaller separate loads but when you just want to get in and get out, you find your standards of cleanliness drop. You are able to stomach much more.

I wasn't thinking of environmental factors. I was wondering why you want to pay to heat water to wash clothes when cold water will wash them! Ah well, I now have a new tip to put on the frugality threads :lol:

Rosie

Because cold water will not sanatize the blood on my underwear, poop on kids, discharge etc. I wash some things on cold, but underwear is on sanitary.

Christine

Wow, I had no idea this was an issue for anybody either lol, I never ever thought about. I still think nothing of it, though.

I don't separate anything. Unless it's something that's new and black/red and I'm afraid it will run in the initial washing, it all gets thrown in together, no matter what laundry article it is, and no matter what color it is, and no matter who it belongs to, and it gets washed with cold water and laundry detergent.

It then gets thrown in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet, folded, and handed to the appropriate individual to put away in their own rooms.

Because cold water will not sanatize the blood on my underwear, poop on kids, discharge etc. I wash some things on cold, but underwear is on sanitary.

Christine

In light of this post, I should point out that while I do combine everything, some things do occasionally require some sort of pretreatment.

I can't imagine washing them together! Like someone else mentioned, I keep a separate hamper for the kitchen rags and towels. The thought of body hair and other things on my kitchen rags and towels completely grosses me out.

Those of you who are disgusted by the thought of combining, do you have separate hampers so a pair of undies never touches a dish towel?

Yes I do. I have a hamper (actually a laundry basket) in the laundry room for all my dish towels, rags, and tea towels. I have a hamper in each bathroom for towels. I have a hamper in the linen closet for all our dirty sheets and blankets. I have a hamper for each kid for their dirty clothes.

I do wash seperately because all the sheets are enough for 1 load and I can't add anything to the load ... there's no more room. All the towels are another load for the same reason and all the rags are yet another load for yet the same reason. I would love to do away with the bleach except for the fact that I have two boys that are still too young to know how to keep themselves clean.:glare:

:iagree: I probably would not wash them with diapers, though. :D