Menu

S/O Strangest Name You Ever Heard:

Jadzia is a common Polish name. It's the short, familiar, version of the woman's name Jadwiga. Queen Jadwiga ruled Poland in the late 1300's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadwiga_of_Poland

The English version of Jadwiga is Hedwig.

:)

Ha ha. My SCA persona's patron saint. Jadwiga is so much nicer sounding than Hedwig.

Rosie- who realises she's not contributing anything here, but she's impatiently waiting for her hubby to get home for the week.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of a friend's daughter is named Dasani. Yes, like the water.

Of course, we named my DD after a Tolkien elf, so I don't really have room to talk (it's not even a name Tolkien borrowed from somewhere else, but a whole-cloth made up Elvish name). It's not the most out-there Tolkien name a real person has (I met an Elbereth Githoniel once).

If I ever have twins I'm going to have a field day naming them. I've got names picked out from my favorite literature and mythology for twin girls (Lapis Lazuli and Lorelei Lee), twin boys (Elladan and Elrohir), and fraternal twins (Sigurd and Signy).

The first thing I asked my DD when I heard the name she'd chosen for her firstborn was "North or South?" And for her second, I asked her if he was going to be a hellraiser (She named him Dante). My best childhood friend has a daughter named for the Little Mermaid (the Disney one) and one for a Star Wars character (though to appease her husband they used a Biblical spelling).

I like interesting names. I have another friend whose kids are Thomas, Alexander, and Michael. She deliberately goes for boring, solid names.

One summer I worked for a Gandalf. I hadn't read LOTR yet and thought his name was Dan Golf. After calling him Dan for an hour he patiently and explained to me that his folks were hippies. I'm sure he got tired of that. It was my introduction to Tolkien though.

My parents were hippies, and my name reflects that. My name is... None Yo Business! Okay, not really, but still, I'm not tellin.' My brother lucked out though. Mom wanted to name him Terin Bree, which sounds more Okie than hippy to me (Mom was both), but my dad changed his mind and insisted on naming the baby after himself.

My dh has had lots of students with very unusual names. My favorites are the Indian names. Guneet (Goo-neat), Punit (Poo-neat), and Ishmeet are three former students. Two are sisters and one is their cousin (can't remember who is what to whom). He had a student teacher last year named Gagandeep, which isn't too strange, but she went by "Gagan" (Gaggin').

And then there's the lady at the grocery store that I posted about on the other name thread. She and her dh just had a bouncing baby boy, and decided to ensure a life of torment by naming him Beige. Even my dh has never had a student named Beige. Maybe they spell it Baaishj, but I don't think thats going to help him.

Edited by Mamabegood
Typo--of course!

Rilla of Ingleside (LM Montgomery) - short for Marilla. I love that name.

Love the Anne series, but every time I hear or see "Marilla" I think "Marilla the Vanilla Gorilla". :lol:

Unusual names I've seen/heard...

Dick Boring (a friend of my dad's)

Sunny Day (a coworker of an ex-boyfriend)

Aquanetta (from my old job)

Rotunda (an acquaintance in college)

Isis (a girl I taught; her mom pronounced it ah-SEES)

Someone with the last name Peoples who named their son Tanner

And a few branches back on the family tree...

Twin boys named Colburn and Colquitt

B/G twins named Edna and Edgar

There is also a gynecologist in town named Dr. Rippy. Ouch!

I've met a woman named Jingle Bell. Really and truly. Her son is considering naming his first child Pacha, so that he/she would be Pacha Bell. He's also threatened Adora, Dumb, and Audi (so it'd sound like "audible")

My husband encountered a guy named Harry Colon once.

I also had the odd incident of encountering 3 other Annabelles in a teeny mountain town in Colorado one week. And I mean teeny! Population of 73. We didn't all spell it the same way, but other than that week I've never met another Annabelle over the age of 2.

:)

I had an English teacher named Dixie Winn (married name). Winn Dixie is a grocery-store chain in the south. When she filled out applications, people thought she was joking. I think she ended up hyphenating her last name.

I've personally known kids named Maverick and Towns.

My father-in-law's brother married a lady named Dixie. Dixie Wynn - except in the phone book it's Wynn, Dixie. (pronounced win)

FIL also had a grandmother named Merler, which was meant to be Marilyn, but spelled incorrectly.

My bff's brother is Maverick, and at our first duty station, a guy named Tiger and his wife had a baby boy and named him Maverick, too. So that name isn't odd at all to me.

I remember a kid who went to my grandfather's church named Dink.

And a friend of a friend in my hometown was named Suni, got married to a man with the last name Friday (promise, she's on facebook.)

On another msg board I belong to, there's a lady with twin girls, Summer and Winter- I believe their last name is Summers.

Isis (a girl I taught; her mom pronounced it ah-SEES)

I worked with a baby whose name was Eyesis...pronounced exactly like it looks. I don't think her mom knew how to spell Isis when she had her because she told me she named her after the goddess.

My friend Sara married a man whose last name is Sera. So her name is Sara Sera, both pronounced like "Sara." :)

I was thinking it would be funny if your friend Sara was actually going by her middle name and that her true first name was Kay. (Sing it now ... Kay Sara Sera.)

I thought of another few names. The father of one of my daughter's friends is Merlyn.

I heard of two brothers recently named McKenzie and Willamette; they're named for a pair of rivers in Oregon and go by Will and Mack.

Regards,

Kareni

Emile (boy)

That's a very common French name for men. :confused:

cf for eg. Emile Zola & the title character in Rousseau's Emile.

I dunno. This is a strange thread for me. In Canada now we are much more multicultural and people don't always 'anglicise' (I can't think what the French equivalent of this would be....) their names.

There are lots of people with Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Hindu & Punjabi names, as well as all the European ones..... Our former Attorney General for BC (& a current sitting MP in the federal government) is Ujjal Dosanjh for example. I wouldn't call that strange.

Many Vietnamese women I met when working with the refugee boat people are called Bich.

One young girl immigrating from Hong Kong had an anglicised name but her parents had picked an unfortunate one. She had a Chinese name, and then her English name: Pussy. Right on her passport. & I cannot believe that nobody in HK, which was at that time still a British territory & she was travelling on a UK passport had not pointed it out to her. "Kitty" was extremely popular among the young girls immigrating at the time so I can only guess that that's what they were going for but wanted something different.....

Thai names are challenging for me because of their length.

Nature names to me are evocative of both native peoples and hippies. They can be quite beautiful, I think.

There's something in this thread that's troublesome b/e a number of the names identified are in rooted in certain cultural/social/economic backgrounds. Identifying these names as 'strange' is I think a kind of finger pointing - you're not one of us.

At best, it's a sign of a very limited, self-centered viewpoint. At worst, it's a prejudice.

I dunno. This is a strange thread for me. In Canada now we are much more multicultural and people don't always 'anglicise' (I can't think what the French equivalent of this would be....) their names.

There are lots of people with Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Hindu & Punjabi names, as well as all the European ones..... Our former Attorney General for BC (& a current sitting MP in the federal government) is Ujjal Dosanjh for example. I wouldn't call that strange.

Many Vietnamese women I met when working with the refugee boat people are called Bich.

One young girl immigrating from Hong Kong had an anglicised name but her parents had picked an unfortunate one. She had a Chinese name, and then her English name: Pussy. Right on her passport. & I cannot believe that nobody in HK, which was at that time still a British territory & she was travelling on a UK passport had not pointed it out to her. "Kitty" was extremely popular among the young girls immigrating at the time so I can only guess that that's what they were going for but wanted something different.....

Nature names to me are evocative of both native peoples and hippies. They can be quite beautiful, I think.

There's something in this thread that's troublesome b/e a number of the names identified are in rooted in certain cultural/social/economic backgrounds. Identifying these names as 'strange' is I think a kind of finger pointing - you're not one of us.

At best, it's a sign of a very limited, self-centered viewpoint. At worst, it's a prejudice.

So which one was it when you mentioned the names Bich and Pussy? I think foreign names seem strange when they have a different connotation in another language, and those are the types of examples people gave in this thread.

True. If I started listing all those "strange" French names that I see and hear every day, it would take me the rest of the week.

Funny how the dominant paradigm always finds a way to marginalize anyone not like them. :glare:

I don't get how you think Rebekah is ugly, but not Rebecca. I have an Aunt Rebekah... it sounds almost the same. Reebecca, Rebecca... ??? Do you just not like the spelling?

I hope no one on here has named their kids any of the names you said are ugly!

That was my point Jinnah. I was being satirical -- turning the tables, so to speak. The undertone of so many of these posts is not that "certain" names are really "strange" or "funny," but that the cultural contexts of them are undesirable.

Hornblower laid it out there much better than I.

I heard a story that happened before I started working on this particular unit. A woman had not decided what to name her baby so she was leaving the hospital with an incomplete birth certificate. On the line for "name," the hospital staff wrote BG (which stood for baby girl). The woman thought the staff had named the baby for her and she kept it - BG. This was many years ago....I don't know if they even let you leave the hospital without a bona fide name on the birth certificate. I always wondered if they had it changed legally at some point.....:001_smile:

Blessings,

Julie

We didn't have a name for a 2nd son (3rd baby) for 2 weeks.

I named the first 2, DH was responsible for #3...:glare: