Menu

S/O Strangest Name You Ever Heard:

My Mom was called Honey until she started Kindergarten. Her family, friends, and church family called her Honey until she was 25 and moved away from home. Her family (including my cousins who never lived near her) still refer to her as Hon or Honey and she is pushing 70. She has the same name as her mother and that is the nickname that stuck.:)

Regarding Faith and Hope:

My sister's family lived with my parents for awhile after they moved back from Spain. My niece, age 7, named two of the cats Faith and Hope, but she didn't know what to name a third one. My mom suggested Charity. Dn thought about that a minute and said, "I know, I could do fruits of the Spirit." A couple of days later, mom heard her talking about Self-control. Yep, she needed a boy name for the tomcat. Self-control.:lol:

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dh was listening to a radio sports-talk show once & the dense host was being snarky about getting an e-mail from Jesus. Obviously, he didn't live in a very Hispanic area since he didn't know that's a very common man's name (pronounced Hay-Zeus.)

Or grow up in the hey-day of the Alou brothers, Manny, Mattie and Jesus, IIRC.

:001_rolleyes:

:lol: Nicknames are a whole different ball of wax. Middle names too for that matter ;)

Middle names in my immediate family:

Alias (my brother is the third) - and yes, this does cause plenty of 'Who's on First' type conversations.

Osais (family name, Luke's middle name)

Ermil (family name, Drew's middle name)

Melville (my uncle)

Dorcus (my aunt)

My gramma and I were both called Lavi (lovey) for some time, because of our middle name. I'm not telling though, just in case I have another girl.

My older sister's middle name is Dorcas. Well, it was Dorcas. When she got married, she dropped it, and kept her maiden name as her middle name.

I've read it in a few books. It's like Melville, not an unheard of name, but I can't help razzing my uncle that he is his own town.

My uncle and Grandpa are both named Wonderful-they are the 6th and 7th generation to have that name. My uncle swore that the name Wonderful would stop with him and he'd NEVER name is son that. Thankfully, he had 3 girls!!

Also, my neighbors have 2 kids- a girl named Liberty and a boy named Justice.

I also went to school with a girl named London Bridge.

My best friend was horrified when her niece named her son, Uilliam. It's pronounced just like William but with a "you" at the beginning instead of the "w". They call him Liam, but it was days before anyone dared to tell the great-grandma the real name. Liam is such a good name - but I just shudder thinking about the poor kid walking across the stage at graduation!

:lol: Nicknames are a whole different ball of wax. Middle names too for that matter ;)

Middle names in my immediate family:

Alias (my brother is the third) - and yes, this does cause plenty of 'Who's on First' type conversations.

Osais (family name, Luke's middle name)

Ermil (family name, Drew's middle name)

Melville (my uncle)

Dorcus (my aunt)

My gramma and I were both called Lavi (lovey) for some time, because of our middle name. I'm not telling though, just in case I have another girl.

My older sister's middle name is Dorcas. Well, it was Dorcas. When she got married, she dropped it, and kept her maiden name as her middle name.

I don't think Dorcas is that weird, it's just an older Biblical name and has fallen out of use (probably because of dork), but I don't think it's weird. One of the girls in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is names Dorcas.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
curse you, typo!

Growing up in south-central TX, I knew plenty of grown men named Angel. They, however, pronounced it just like we normally read it.

Actually, it is still the same name just pronounced in English. It happens, especially with second generation. What was weird was a girl named Angel, since we were both of Mexican decent, and Angel is historically a boys name.

Mrs. Mungo, you make a great point. A lot of these names may have come from the hippie era. My cousin, Hunter of the Valley, was named by my aunt who was a hippie.:D

I don't think Dorcas is that weird, it's just an older Biblical name and has fallen out of use (probably because of dork), but I don't think it's weird. One of the girls in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is names Dorcas.

She is a Christian saint from the Bible. I go to church with a lovely older woman named Dorcas.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Stange, odd names from the Bible. . Zebadiah, Ezekiel, Rebekah (spelled with an H!!). I knew a couple boys with those names and they had the hardest time spelling them. Names like Tiffany, Destiny, and Brandi always get a chuckle from me, too. I'd like to add Chinese names I've heard, but I can't remember how to spell them.

She is a Christian saint from the Bible. I go to church with a lovely older woman named Dorcas.

Zebediah, Ezekiel, Rebekah, and Dorcas? I have never before heard anyone say that biblical names were strange or odd.

I really love the name Dorcas but couldn't bring myself to name either of my daughters that since I knew it would be shortened to Dork - not by her friends and acquaintances perhaps, but most certainly by one of their three brothers.:D

The passage in the Bible (Acts 9:36-42) that refers to her always brings tears of joy to my eyes - she was a dear lady and very much loved .

Although it is wrong for me to smile at the names of documented saints of the Church, sometimes we (my family) succumb to mild amusement anyway. Some years ago, my eldest was compiling a list of genuine saints names, and threatening to name all of his future children from the list. Among the candidate names were Habib (a deacon martyr), Bean, and Dodo. Those last two names, I could not endure attached to any of my grandchildren, I admit !

Zebediah, Ezekiel, Rebekah, and Dorcas? I have never before heard anyone say that biblical names were strange or odd.

I think a lot of biblical names are strange sounding, and most of them are, IMO, ugly like the ones above.

I like Rebecca, though. I've known nice Rebeccas.

I named my mini poodle mix that I used to have Ezekiel. We called him "Zekie". That is actually what I do with strange names I like- use them on my pets. I used to have a cat I named Tsareenie Nktaschi. SHe was a beautiful Shaded Silver with black rimmed green eyes.

Hmm, I don't know, some of these names are pretty cool! I guess I like unusual names. DD has a friend named Jupiter.:D I wasn't that bold with my own choices --DD's name, unfortunately, became pretty popular after a TV character gave her baby the same name; and DS's is not particularly unusual either. I love the name Damien, and not just because I'm married to one. :D My neighbor growing up was actually a Damien as well, but a girl. In both cases they were named after Catholic saints.

I agree in thinking that the Oranjello/Lemonjello thing is probably urban legend!

I think a lot of biblical names are strange sounding, and most of them are, IMO, ugly like the ones above.

I like Rebecca, though. I've known nice Rebeccas.

Naomi. My cousin's dds are Rachel and Naomi, she is Elizabeth and her sisters are Rebecca and Sarah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Damien Christian - first and middle name of a friend's son. I know they aren't strange, but together they make me giggle.

Regan - another not so strange girl's name. Friends of ours named their oldest this. No one thought to mention The Exorcist until after she was born... We thought they knew!

Regan's sister is Skylar, Sky for short. Another name I like, but don't hear anywhere else ;)

The strangest I ever heard I can't even say on here but one that was really sad was the child of a Mexican mother named Female (pronounced in a Spanish way). When asked how the baby got the name the mother said the nurses had named her...."Female ______" on the isolet tag.

Well, Igor conjures up an image of the hunchback assistant in horror films. And when I think of Boris, I think of Boris Karloff who acted in many horror films. At least that's what everyone in our small town thought of when I was young.... does this make me old? lol!

Ah! Gotcha.

They're common Russian names. I've heard them so often that I don't have any particular reference come to mind when I hear them.

I met a woman at MOPS some years ago; her name was Kelly Jo _______. Come to find out, she had married a man whose name was....Kelly Joe. I don't think I'd like sharing my WHOLE name with my husband! :tongue_smilie:

Ds (first name is same as his dad) is good friends with a girl name Julia. Julia is a hser, goes to the same church, &tc. Her mom likes to joke that one day we'll be like sisters. So, Andrew and Juliana would be the parents to Andrew and Julia................................. :lol:

Jovi. They got the name from the movie Elf. Jovi was the girl Buddy worked with at the department store--the one who was singing "Baby, It's Cold Outside" in the shower.

It's a cute name, not really strange, but I'd never heard it before.

]

Like "Bon?" :tongue_smilie:

and a friend who named their son Yly. It was pronounced "Eli."

Well, I'll be! That's one my mother missed. My son's name is Eli, just three letters: E.L.I., and my mother has spelled it every imaginable way (Eliah, Elias, Ely, Elihu) -- except this one!

Harry Peters (my mom's friend when I was a child)

My OB/GYN was Dr. Box

My son's best friend in early grade school was named Johnquel - which is not weird in an of itself...it was just weird when my son came home calling him "John Twelve." We wondered where in the Bible he was located. LOL

hahaha...My Ob-Gyn was for my first was named Dr. Arm. I sould have know better!!!

I met a woman at MOPS some years ago; her name was Kelly Jo _______. Come to find out, she had married a man whose name was....Kelly Joe. I don't think I'd like sharing my WHOLE name with my husband! :tongue_smilie:

I knew a Jamie (female) and a Jamie (male) who married each other.

In our church daycare there was a little girl whose parents called her phat phat. It was a nick-name, I believe. I still thought it was horrible though. I saw it written on her bins and diapers when I was passing through that area. It was enough to make me stop and ask "Do you pronounce that fat fat?!" The teacher didn't seem to think it was that strange:001_huh:.

Her given name is Apocalypsis.

The result of an unplanned pregnancy, perhaps?

:D

I don't think my daughter had the nerve to ask!

On hearing the name, I immediately thought of disaster; however, the Greek translation is more along the lines of unveiling or revelation.

My grandmother's name was Rilla and her sister's name was Parrill. I don't think I have ever heard those names before. Has anyone else?

The author of Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery, also wrote a book entitled Rilla of Ingleside.

Regards,

Kareni

A friend of a friend's daughter is named Dasani. Yes, like the water.

Of course, we named my DD after a Tolkien elf, so I don't really have room to talk (it's not even a name Tolkien borrowed from somewhere else, but a whole-cloth made up Elvish name). It's not the most out-there Tolkien name a real person has (I met an Elbereth Githoniel once).

If I ever have twins I'm going to have a field day naming them. I've got names picked out from my favorite literature and mythology for twin girls (Lapis Lazuli and Lorelei Lee), twin boys (Elladan and Elrohir), and fraternal twins (Sigurd and Signy).

The first thing I asked my DD when I heard the name she'd chosen for her firstborn was "North or South?" And for her second, I asked her if he was going to be a hellraiser (She named him Dante). My best childhood friend has a daughter named for the Little Mermaid (the Disney one) and one for a Star Wars character (though to appease her husband they used a Biblical spelling).

I like interesting names. I have another friend whose kids are Thomas, Alexander, and Michael. She deliberately goes for boring, solid names.

I love elf names. I love Scottish or Irish names, hippy names, and traditional. Its rare that I don't like a unique name. I don't like super popular names, although my kids names are pretty common now (not when I named them). Mine are more traditional because dh couldn't take my hippy names. I think names after nature are great, not dh.