Menu

MFW 1 or HOD BLHFHG

samnem

I am trying to decide between My Father's World and Heart of Dakota for first grade for my daughter. She did Abeka kindergarten this year which is phonics based. She is starting to read pretty well. Has anyone used both of these for first grade and which one do you like better and why? If my daughter already knows phonics and is reading, would MFW be challenging enough for her?

Phonics is included in MFW 1st as part of the curriculum. A major part, if you ask me. It very quickly reviews what was taught in MFW K and then moves very quickly into silent 'e' and more advanced phonics. If your dd is already reading, it would be review most likely. With BLHFHG, phonics is NOT included. You choose your own program...if you need it. There are spelling lists that are included (going from memory) which would also probably be review if she is reading well. But, you could just skip them. The 2 programs are so very different. The Bible portion in 1st takes them through the Bible from Genesis to Revelations. BLHFHG the History is American History. I am/was doing MFW 1st this year. We sort of got off track but I'm trying to pick it back up minus the phonics since we do Phonics Road. I like MFW 1st a lot. I have not done Beyond yet. But, I love the samples and can't wait to get to it!

I don't know about the response time. I have called the office and gotten a better response. Also, Crystal (cbollin) on this board, is a wealth of info. on MFW having used it for many, many years. She might be able to give you a good answer to any questions you have. PM her...she is very helpful. If you post on the MFW board, you will also get good advice. Crystal is "mfwrocks" on that board. :)

Call the office. MFW is swamped at this time of year doing conventions but there is usually someone at the office answering calls.

All three of mine were reading by the time we did MFW1 and it was a great review. We love MFW1 for the math, science and Bible. I just added in other readers.

I think both programs are great.

Do you have other children?

IMO- if your goal is too eventually be able to combine kids MFW is a better fit.

I have 2 kids - 2 years apart... they have completely different learning styles and interests. HOD works great for us.

We are just finishing BLHFHG, and I will be doing LHFHG and BHFHG next fall.

I haven't used MFW, but a good friend does. In Beyond my ds wasn't ready for the emerging readers at the start... but we continued to review the A Beka phonics and by November he was ready them, and will have read through them all by next month. He turns 7 in July.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Emilylou