Menu

Anyone here using Simply Charlotte Mason?

Blueridge

This is the month of curriculum planning madness around here. :D I've been all over the place, but I keep feeling pulled toward SCM. Anyone here use those schedules or history handbooks? I would love some feedback (good, bad, and especially the ugly!) Thanks~

Guest Cindie2dds

I liked her booklist since her choices of classics are from the well-known and well-loved, not read because you should. If I followed the SCM book list, I wouldn't need to preread as much, she errs on the side of gentle.

Her DVDs are well worth the money, especially the All-Day Seminar. It's a great resource on how to teach each subject.

I wanted to love her guides, but there was something I couldn't put my finger on as to why I didn't like it. To be fair, I only have the Ancients guide. I couldn't speak for the others.

All in all I think it's a great resource, but I felt like all I was doing was planning our daily schedule and certain subjects were slipping through my hands; art, music, science, mostly.

If nothing else I've given you a friendly bump. :D

I will be using the SCM Mod. 4 guide for the first time this fall (August). I love the look of the handbooks and of the history modules themselves, which can be used without the hand book. I like that they leave enough room for you to add things if you desire. I also love the fact that my kids will be on the same history cycle, and that substituting a book is not a major problem if you want/have to. As the other poster said the All Day Seminar is great and so is the planning your CM Education DVD's and book.

Thanks, ladies! I bought her All-Day CM Seminar last year and really got inspired. She is going to be at the NC conference in a few weeks, and (knowing myself the way I do :D) I will make a run for her table and relieve her of a lot of inventory! But, as much as I wrestle with the correct curriculum choices to make, I usually end up with some lovely, but sadly unused, curriculum by November. I am really hoping that I will love this...and that I won't kill myself trying to plan perfect CM school weeks. I am such an over-planner!

I had to respond-i have used every "modern" curriculum that has charlotte mason "flavor" HOD-MFW-SL to name a few. I have also tried, briefly to plan my own using the guide from SCM. After nearly 7 years of trying it all, i am coming back to CM. I too have been planning like crazy and know that i still have some more ahead of me. I ordered several items from SCM and will look through some more books. Anyways, i have never been able to stick with the box curriculum idea for long-while it always feels like a relief to have someone do the planning and book choice, i find it more stressful to use their schedules and books. SO.... i am trying again to go back to my original thoughts of homeschooling and going back to CM-

hope you find the right path for you

pam

... Anyways, i have never been able to stick with the box curriculum idea for long-while it always feels like a relief to have someone do the planning and book choice, i find it more stressful to use their schedules and books...

This is *exactly* the way I feel. Maybe I am intrigued with SCM because it seems as though the skeleton planning has been done for me, but will still allow a good deal of flexibility for me to choose and plan a uniquely made schedule for our family. Blessings~

I wanted to love her guides, but there was something I couldn't put my finger on as to why I didn't like it. To be fair, I only have the Ancients guide. I couldn't speak for the others.

I own Matthew - Acts & Ancient Rome. I was going to use it, but it's not exactly what I thought it would be. As Cindie said, I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just not for me.

As a side note, I do LOVE 106 Days of Creation Studies.

I own Matthew - Acts & Ancient Rome. I was going to use it, but it's not exactly what I thought it would be. As Cindie said, I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just not for me...

Oh, y'all are killing me here! :scared: Try hard now to put your fingers on it for me before I blow a wad of cash...was it the small amount of discussion guidance included? Was her narrative boring? The types of spine books she used? The expense of acquiring all those books? That history was over in 10 minutes a day? Too much Bible/not enough Bible? Oh my. I appreciate any thoughts you would care to share!

Oh, y'all are killing me here! :scared: Try hard now to put your fingers on it for me before I blow a wad of cash...

I'll try... I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into words so bear with me.

I don't really care for the Famous Men books, but that was minor.

The handbooks seem to be mostly a reading schedule. To me, it's not worth the money I spent for just a schedule.

I thought that the Bible/History/Geography would be more integrated. The schedule is that the Gospels are read Mon & Tue, Geography is Wed, History reading Thu & Fri. So we start off by reading about the birth of Jesus at the same time as the founding of Rome.

Does any of that make sense? Does it help any??

I'll try... I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into words so bear with me.

I don't really care for the Famous Men books, but that was minor.

The handbooks seem to be mostly a reading schedule. To me, it's not worth the money I spent for just a schedule.

I thought that the Bible/History/Geography would be more integrated. The schedule is that the Gospels are read Mon & Tue, Geography is Wed, History reading Thu & Fri. So we start off by reading about the birth of Jesus at the same time as the founding of Rome.

Yes, Audrey, it helps very much!

Guest Cindie2dds

I'm sorry to leave you hanging, Ginger. I wasn't quite sure myself. I remember after doing a couple of weeks both me and my daughter were left feeling like :001_huh:. I kind of expected it to be a little more integrated as Audrey put it. Her All-Day Charlotte Mason Seminar is phenomenal, so I guess I was expecting to love the guide books too. I still use the curriculum guide when I substitute a book from OM or AO.

Agreeing with Audrey again. I adore the 106 Days of Creation. It's a great general Science program. When I got into it, I liked it so much that we shelved it so we could enjoy the experiments and books with Mater. She's too young right now and I would feel like we were shooing her away. We are going to wait a couple of years, but we will do this study.

One caveat: 106 Days of Creation uses some out of print/and or difficult to get/expensive books. It was the same for the first edition of the Ancients guide, but she rewrote that and changed the book list so you didn't go on a wild goose chase for a $75 out of print picture book.

I hope that makes it clearer.

I haven't used any of her other materials (we are not looking for a Christian-based program), but we are using the Your Business Math course, which I think is a brilliant concept. My 9 yo daughter chose the bookstore option and is really enjoying it so far. It is fitting in nicely to give real world application of percents, decimals, etc.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Hi, I have the 1st two History Modules. I think my major problem with the Genesis Through Deut. was that it wasn't enough. You are only reading 2 books a week most weeks. History is done in 10 minutes. I have the older version and the newer. I almost like the older better due to the book choices. I think though that you should consider doing the 1st two modules together. Finish the 1st module by November and start the 2nd. The Joshua through Malachi study is much more involved than the Genesis study. I like it much better.

I'm sorry to leave you hanging, Ginger. I wasn't quite sure myself. I remember after doing a couple of weeks both me and my daughter were left feeling like :001_huh:...

Oh my, I have had that same sinking feeling so many times!

I haven't used any of her other materials (we are not looking for a Christian-based program), but we are using the Your Business Math course, which I think is a brilliant concept. My 9 yo daughter chose the bookstore option and is really enjoying it so far. It is fitting in nicely to give real world application of percents, decimals, etc.

Thank you. I am considering this for my 10dd, who is really struggling with TT this year.

Hi, I have the 1st two History Modules. I think my major problem with the Genesis Through Deut. was that it wasn't enough. You are only reading 2 books a week most weeks. History is done in 10 minutes. I have the older version and the newer. I almost like the older better due to the book choices. I think though that you should consider doing the 1st two modules together. Finish the 1st module by November and start the 2nd. The Joshua through Malachi study is much more involved than the Genesis study. I like it much better.

I was concerned about the daily lessons being so short. I will consider making it a semester long instead of an entire year.

Again, ladies, thank you so much!

Ginger,

I am currently trying to figure out which direction I want to go for history next year as well. I have been considering using the SCM guides (Egypt, Greece, Rome) in a one year study. I know there are some posts from gals who have done this over on the SCM forums. Here is one link to get you started. Maybe this would help you in your decision. Happy planning!

Michelle

We are using SCM's Free Curriculum Guide with Module 1. We are loving it! I like that it gives me so much freedom. It is an easy schedule to follow that I can add onto or use as is. It is very Bible bases/focused and that is what I wanted.

We are doing Mods. 1-3 in 2 yrs. I am doing this by using the Vos. Children's Story Bible which combines some of the chapters in the Bible. Once in a while I use the Bible for things that I want to cover more thoroughly. Also, instead of reading "Letters from Egypt" for Geography (too much for my 1st & 3rd grader). We are just doing the Geo. exercises along side the next lesson in the schedule. These thing will get us through the 3 Mods. in 2 yrs. without rushing.

ETA: I like that the lessons are short. It really make our school day stress free. I don't believe that doing more means that your child is learning more, IMHO. Remember short lessons help build the power of attention.

Edited by coralloyd

Ginger,

I am currently trying to figure out which direction I want to go for history next year as well. I have been considering using the SCM guides (Egypt, Greece, Rome) in a one year study. I know there are some posts from gals who have done this over on the SCM forums. Here is one link to get you started. Maybe this would help you in your decision. Happy planning!

Michelle

Thank you for that helpful thread. I can't remember every using a curriculum guide exactly as it was written. :bored:

We are using SCM's Free Curriculum Guide with Module 1. We are loving it! I like that it gives me so much freedom. It is an easy schedule to follow that I can add onto or use as is. It is very Bible bases/focused and that is what I wanted.

We are doing Mods. 1-3 in 2 yrs. I am doing this by using the Vos. Children's Story Bible which combines some of the chapters in the Bible. Once in a while I use the Bible for things that I want to cover more thoroughly. Also, instead of reading "Letters from Egypt" for Geography (too much for my 1st & 3rd grader). We are just doing the Geo. exercises along side the next lesson in the schedule. These thing will get us through the 3 Mods. in 2 yrs. without rushing.

ETA: I like that the lessons are short. It really make our school day stress free. I don't believe that doing more means that your child is learning more, IMHO. Remember short lessons help build the power of attention.

This was very encouraging, and bringing me back to my original hopes for SCM. It's funny that I always seem to complicate my life with way.too.much. wonderful stuff, and then start peeling those layers away toward the end of the school year. I am truly exhausted by May.

Blessings and continued thanks to all!