Menu

AAS or SWO?

mommy4ever

I have started dd6 in AAS 1 and she is doing extremely well.

I'm still figuring out dd11 in terms of LA. I have AAS 5 coming for her, but WTM suggests SWO, so I'm wondering if one is better for the other?

I know everyone has spoken highly of one or the other. I know the tiles can be tedious at times, when dd6 is bored of them, we do something different, but fun. But the same principles used.

DD11 has loved listening in on lessons while I'm working with dd6. So I don't know. Do I stay with what I am comfortable with and see how it goes?

She seems to be a pretty decent speller. We haven't done a tremendous amount of writing yet. So I am on the fence :tongue_smilie:

You say your dd11 is a pretty decent speller? SWO might be more like "busywork" if your dd is already a pretty solid speller, IMO. I used SWO for my dd, who was a pretty natural speller. She did the work with no problem (she didn't mind workbooks) but I noticed that she really didn't learn anything new. You could go with AAS 5 if she already likes to listen in on what you are doing with your younger dd. However, you might want to look at How to Teach Any Child to Spell by Gayle Graham. She basically teaches you how to use your child's everyday writing assignments/journals/narrations, etc. as their "spelling list" and then sort each misspelled word into lists based on rules. I'm not explaining it well. But, there is a book that goes along with it called Tricks of the Trade that has all the spelling rules and then places underneath to fill in the words your child misspells. Does that make sense? I'm using it for my ds12.