Menu

Right Brain Phonics by Dianne Craft?

Tabrett

I have this book. I pull it out and use it from time to time. We just go over the pages of the phonics sound that we are working on at the time.

It does not teach you how to teach exactly. You just go over the lists of words. She explains a bit in a handout how to use the book. I've found it to be helpful. Especially in the beginning when ds1 really need the extra practice. You can also you the word lists for spelling if you choose.

It would be fairly simple to make similar word lists, but I like having it all there done for me because I'd probably never get around to doing it thoroughly. I found that the different color letters for the sounds that your child is working on to be really helpful to ds1.

Hope this helps!

I have this book. I pull it out and use it from time to time. We just go over the pages of the phonics sound that we are working on at the time.

It does not teach you how to teach exactly. You just go over the lists of words. She explains a bit in a handout how to use the book. I've found it to be helpful. Especially in the beginning when ds1 really need the extra practice. You can also you the word lists for spelling if you choose.

It would be fairly simple to make similar word lists, but I like having it all there done for me because I'd probably never get around to doing it thoroughly. I found that the different color letters for the sounds that your child is working on to be really helpful to ds1.

Hope this helps!

So, it is just a list of words with the phonogram in a different color? How do the flash cards tie in?

I haven't used that specifically, but I would be concerned about the different color letters--those are very distracting for most of my struggling readers, and they also distract my daughter who is a good reader! They make things more clear for ESL adults and may help some children, but so far for my students the programs I have with colored letters have been a bust. The outlined letters in PP are fine.

So, I would print out some words with different colored letters and see how that goes over before buying.

So, it is just a list of words with the phonogram in a different color? How do the flash cards tie in?

I'm sorry, I can't comment on the flash cards, I didn't buy them. They are supposed to be especially helpful for visual learners because of the pictures.

Yes, it is mostly word lists. It works for ds1 because there is not much else he can get distracted with and the highlighted color of the new sound really does help him retain the "look" of the word. I currently use ElizabethB's and Don Potter's Blend phonics along with it. We usually do one lesson in blend phonics and then read the page that correlates to the new sound in the RBP book as extra practice.