Menu

Formal vs. Material Logic

I have the pleasure of gleaning from these boards, so thanks to an earlier thread, I see the differences in the two; which begs the question, will students who lean "literature" fare better with Memoria Pres Traditional Logic by Cothran and those leaning "math" fair better with LOGOS Intro. to Logic by Nance?

Am I to understand that essentially, although rooted differently, that a student will get a solid understanding of logic coming from either direction? I have one of each (leaning children ;) ), and would like to approach accordingly.

Where does Socratic Logic, by Kreeft, fit in the lit. vs. math paradigm? Or A Concise Intro. to Logic by Hurley?

Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge with me. What a pleasure and a gold mine you all are!

Tina,

Here is a thread on the Memoria Press forum in which Martin Cothran talks about the differences between the two programs. I wouldn't assume that a mathy student would automatically prefer or do better with one or the other. My mathy dd started with Nance, but has done great with Trad. Logic I/II.

Wish I could add to your question on later logic. We will probably only make it through TL I/II and Material Logic. Outside possibility that ds2 will continue on, but we just haven't gotten that far yet.

Lisa