Menu

11th grade grammar curriculum

A Beka Grammar for 11th grade is a much smaller book. I'm not sure if there are samples online for you to look at. How much formal grammar have you had? (I ask because I didn't have any when I went to school, and I wouldn't have been able to do A Beka or BJU without review).

I did about a month last year in 9th grade, a little unit. I was miserable. He went very fast and just left me staring with my mouth agape.

I found one but it is no where near as informational as BJU.

Applications of Grammar book 5

http://www.christianbook.com/applications-grammar-book-developing-communication-skills/annie-sloan/9781930367319/pd/0109200?event=BB&bookbag=1&item_code=WW

Anyone have any experience with this? I plan on taking it next year as well so the fact that it doesn't go so in-depth as BJU isn't much of a big deal. It just has 90 lessons with worksheets and there are also worksheets online I am sure I could find.

Has anyone had any experience with this curriculum?

I have done BJU for years. It is very good. My son was able to do it without the dvds, my daughter needs a little more help. There is plenty of instruction in the workbook. You don't need the tests, just the workbook and Teacher's edition for the workbook. If you get stuck, just look at the teachers edition, then you can learn by seeing the answers.

I am considering letting up on the grammar because my daughter ends up just doing the grammar and not enough writing (she enjoys tearing up sentences more than writing her own..).

If you are not needing a credit, but just a quick review, look to trade books rather than curriculum:

The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

It has quizzes and the answer key is in the back. I think you could blow through it over the summer if this is just to help get you ready for American Lit.

OR: Painless Grammar

For sentence diagramming (if you feel it would help you).

Rex Barks

ABeka, BJUP, and R&S all include much more than grammar, so if grammar is all you want, I wouldn't recommend one of those three.

If you want only grammar, then Easy Grammar Plus would be my recommendation. No twaddle, straightforward and to the point.

Some of the other suggestions may have given you your answer? But if you still haven't decided, I want to make a suggestion re: Applications of Grammar -- that you look over the scope and sequence of the different levels of that program before making a decision. I read Cathy Duffy's reviews on AoG and she mentioned that the higher levels are quite difficult (I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't equate to a good source for review).

If you are up to printing out lessons from online, check out this site of free archived grammar lessons:

http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.shtml

Also, I do believe Harvey's Grammar might be helpful for you. I've never used it, per se, but I've heard little blurbs here and there about it. It is available free on books.google.com (search: Harvey's Grammar; look for the one that is a full preview).

HTH!

~cocoa

I think I am going to get Harvey's Grammar. Cheap, good reviews, and I like the way it is written. It looks like it has everything BJU has, also. Thanks :D
Is it Harvey's Revised English Grammar that you're using? I've seen that but haven't really researched it.

Is it Harvey's Revised English Grammar that you're using? I've seen that but haven't really researched it.

Yeah. There is a full preview of it on Google Books, like cocoabean mentioned. There's exercises built into the lessons. They aren't on worksheets, but written in the book. It's kind of hard to explain. If you go on Google books, and then go to the contents page and click on one of the links that says exercises, you'll see what I mean.