Menu

What are you reading? What are you reading aloud?

I've been going back through James Herriot's series. I'm supposed to be reading Mere Christianity. :001_smile: Dd6 has just finished Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and we're doing Little House in the Big Woods as read-loud for dd6 and dd3.

I find myself treating dd's books the same way books were treated in my family growing up: whoever has the book in his/her hands has the right to read it. IOW, if you put it down, you're likely to lose it. For awhile, anyway. :)

It took dh some time to understand that when he first started hanging out with my family way back when . . .

Mama Anna

by Sue Monk Kidd and her grown daughter. It was interesting as I recently reread two of her earlier books in prep for DD's 9th grade summer reading coming up. I also just finished a book by an ex-Roman Catholic who is now an evangelical pastor--Holy Ground--which was excellent. I also just read "Sacred Hearts", about life in a convent in Italy around the time of the Council of Trent--very good. Highly recommended.

I'm not sure what to read next!

DD is reading books about Medieval France to get background for an upcoming report.

I'm reading "The Cross and The Switchblade" to DD right now. DH is enjoying it, too.

I'm hoping for a very inspirational book to pop up for me! I am feeling happy and exuberant and want something that will support my mood!

I am reading "The Queen's Fool" by Philippa Gregory.

Current readalouds are:

"On The Banks Of Plum Creek" from the Little House series- although we've sort of taken a break from that to start reading other things instead.

"In The Face Of Danger" by Jean Lowery Nixon- this is the third book in the Orphan Train series/quartet. We read the first one as some suggested extra reading through our Oak Meadow curriculum after learning about the orphan trains. We found the book interesting so we continued with the series.

"World Myths And Legends, Native American"- this is our current "assigned reading" book through Oak Meadow. (And our last one for the year).

And my 9 y/o daughter is currently reading "How To Train Your Dragon" to herself- after seeing and enjoying the movie, she wanted to read the book.

We still need to get back to our Little House series- oh, and I took the first Mary Poppins book out of the library after reading a thread about it here, and that will become a read-aloud here soon.... yeah way too many books going on at once lol.

Self: 3rd edition WTM and second half of Liping Ma's book. A night I'm browsing through Hering's Dictionary of Classical and Modern Cookery.

Here is an entry:

Goose

---Vise Style: a la mode de Vise: boiled in white stock with the giblets and garlic, cut in pieces and kept warm with the degreased stock fat; covered with veloute prepared with the stock, thickened with egg yolks and finished off with sweet cream and puree of garlic cooked in milk.

Aloud:The Cartoon History of the Universe III (and I'm learning a lot).

I'm finishing up teaching a class on the High Middle Ages, and at home we're actually finishing up the Renaissance and Reformation, so the many little tidbits in this have been very timely and amusing for me to read! I've been able to regale my students with some interesting stories, but there are many I can't tell them!

I just finished the section on medicine this afternoone - gaaaack!!!!! And I'm into the legal system right now...... It has actually been eye opening. I thought that after the Magna Carta, especially with all the royal courts Henry VIII instituted (and Philip, in France), that things became more fair. I guess they were perhaps a little more fair, but it hardly seems to matter whether you're being hanged then beheaded and quartered, or quartered then beheaded, etc., ya know? I don't think I've read anywhere else that people could tattle on others before they were tried (or killed), and that those others would be dragged in and tried solely on that basis. Wow........

Guest Cindie2dds

I just finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Hard to get through, but well worth the ride.

Dh is reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Current Read Alouds are basically Ambleside Year 0 with Oak Meadow; however, we are also reading Kindergarten Gems and A Bear Called Paddington.

I'm shirking my self-ed list to re-read The Constant Princess, by Phillipa Gregory.

We're reading Treasure Island and The Little Princess aloud. I'm also reading Ivy and Bean (candy) to my dd6. Ds8 is reading himself The Lightning Thief, and recently started Taggerung (sp?), which is a Brian Jacques novel (Redwall).

I'm trying to get into Diana Gabaldon's latest - The Echo in the Bone. In between, I'm reading Tools of the Mind, after seeing it in the book NurtureShock.

I'm reading Little Pear with the kids, and we've also been reading Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones as well as the Toot & Puddle books and Stone Soup.

Hmmm...

Read aloud to 6y/o is Buster Bear from the Burgess Books.

6 y/o is reading Courage of Sarah Noble to me.

Read aloud to 10y/o was Toothpaste Millionaire (we finished today).

10y/o is reading R&S 4 Reading stories (Bible) aloud to me

10 y/o is reading The Red Pyramid in his spare time

I am doing a Bible study in a book called The Frazzled Female right now and, sadly, that is all I am really reading at the moment. I am waiting on The Book Thief from the library.

Edited by Tree House Academy

Me: "The Murder of King Tut: The Plot to Kill the Child King" by James Patterson, "The Lightning Thief" by Riordan, and "Bones to Ashes" by Kathy Reichs

DS8: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," "Magic Treehouse Resource Guide: Ancient Rome and Pompeii," and various other books on Rome (history) and the Solar System (solar)

Readaloud: "The Witches" by Roald Dahl

Way too many things...

I just finished, "Why French Women Don't Get Fat." I hate the title LOL but it was a pretty good read.

I'm currently reading, "The Knowledge of the Holy", "Stepping Heavenward", "The Pelican Brief", and "The Friday Night Knitting Club".

Our current read aloud is "Mary Jones and her Bible".

I'm reading:

The Drama of American History series by the Colliers

The World in Ancient Times series

I, Claudius

Read Alouds:

Mysterious Island (Wesleyan edition... fantastic translation)

The Hotel Cat (Jenny and the Cat Club)

Mary Poppins in the Park

We are reading through the Narnia series together aloud. We are on Dawn Treader with the Family Guide to Narnia.

Both girls are reading through the Harry Potters.

I am in the midst of a review of British Lit so Beowulf at the moment as well as Sig Hansen's new biography and The Alton Gift. (huge Darkover fan)

Reading aloud with youngest, "The Kidnapped Prince" for history.

Just finished reading aloud Island of The Blue Dolphins. Pollyanna before that.

Dd just finished Anne of Avonlea for fun. She read a Lewis and Clark book for school last week.

I'm slowly going thru SWB's History of The Medieval World. Just finished Twilight Children by my favorite author, who writes about her work with special needs kids.

Dd is tired of historical fiction, but I want to read Lyddie to her, about a girl who goes to work in a mill in the 1800's.

Kinda limping along in my own readings.

I'm reading Out of Africa. I just started, so I can't comment yet. I've purchased Honey for a Woman's Heart, and decided to choose 2 books out of every chapter, then recycling and going through again.

Our current read aloud is Granny Han's Breakfast and Grain of Rice.

I'm currently reading The Witch's Coin, The Inner Temple of Witchcraft, the third book in the Dresden Files series and Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish.

My daughter (7yo) is reading Sunwing. (Started as a read-aloud with Daddy, but apparently she wants to finish it herself!)

Our current read-alounds are The Lightening Thief (me) and an Enola Holmes mystery (Daddy).

What we're reading:

dd10: King of the Wind and Ginger Pye:hurray:

ds13: The Hobbit (third time thru)

dd16: All Things Bright and Beautiful

me: plowing my way thru The Pilgrim's Progress

current read alouds: The Saturdays and Castaways of the Flying Dutchman:thumbup:

Dorothy Sayers-The Nine Tailors

I had started it, then put it in a bad and forgot about it. I just decided to finish it.

DS15-I don't think he is reading much other than his Bible and a study guide right now. He is trying to catch up to a group he joined in church. For public highschool he is reading To Kill a Mockingbird.

DD11 just finished a book and I believe (I can't remember the title). She is starting The Name if This Book is Secret.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I am reading The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson. I happened upon it in the new section at the library and since we are hoping to see the King Tut exhibit in NYC this summer I picked it up....not to mention we are studying the ancients this year! I need to learn too!! Its really interesting.

We are reading The Cricket in Times Square as our chapter book read aloud and lots about ancient Rome as well. The last one was You Wouldn't Want to be a Roman Gladiator.

I recently finished Man of Constant Sorrow - The Life and Times of Ralph Stanley.

Bought it at a local concert we attended (went for DH- thought I would hate it but it was great). Not well written but very interesting.

Now reading Der Fuehrer that I found in a local thrift shop. Also interesting but jumbled and heavy Imo.

Our read aloud is Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson