Menu

How do you know when your kid is ready for college courses

I want to sign dd up for an online college biology class (this class is specifically for high schoolers looking for duel credit). Dd will be 15 in the fall and starting 11th grade (yes, I know she is young, but she has two brothers one year older and has always kept up w/ them). She has already taken Physics and Chemistry and "hated" both. although did fine with them. She wants to be a Vet (which I'm not sure can happen w/o a love of chem and science in general).

She is hesitant, and I don't know how to know if she is ready for this. She is very smart, and self disciplined, but hormonal. I would not be able to help her much as science was never my forte. I'm assuming the class moves quickly (it is scheduled like a college class) and she would have to write papers (she writes well, but tends to use overly basic vocabulary - like the fast food teeny bopper books she reads in her spare time).

Any ideas?

Biology today is not the subject that I studied when I was in high school. Generations of yore were not introduced to biochemistry until college whereas today's high school students see this material.

My son took AP Biology as a 10th grader. It was a tough first AP test. Will your daughter's course be AP?

For dual enrollment, I suspect that the text used is either Campbell or Miller or something similar. Have your daughter look at the book. Read the course syllabus to see how much of the book is covered and what the pace of the course will be. Then see if your daughter will make the commitment. You cannot make it for her.

Good luck,

Jane

I want to sign dd up for an online college biology class (this class is specifically for high schoolers looking for duel credit). Dd will be 15 in the fall and starting 11th grade (yes, I know she is young, but she has two brothers one year older and has always kept up w/ them). She has already taken Physics and Chemistry and "hated" both. although did fine with them. She wants to be a Vet (which I'm not sure can happen w/o a love of chem and science in general).

She is hesitant, and I don't know how to know if she is ready for this. She is very smart, and self disciplined, but hormonal. I would not be able to help her much as science was never my forte. I'm assuming the class moves quickly (it is scheduled like a college class) and she would have to write papers (she writes well, but tends to use overly basic vocabulary - like the fast food teeny bopper books she reads in her spare time).

Any ideas?

If she's already had physics and Chemistry and did well, I think she'd intellectually be able to do the course. The hormonal and other stuff you mentioned are variables that we couldn't answer.

Best wishes!:001_smile:

Interesting. It's specifically for high schoolers? I would think that would make it a good way to try a college class.

My kids started w/online classes at age 14/15. Online is a great way to go because you, ie. Mom, can check on things such as grades, due dates, etc from home. However we also started out with easier classes they were interested in, to reduce the chance of bombing.

Maybe you can find out specifically what the class will require in the way of papers/assignments and that may help you make the decision.

I would take the clue from your daughter - she's hesitant. Since it will be her junior year, why not do a rigorous high school biology, maybe aiming to take the AP, and then plan on doing the cc class next year. If she's going to be pre-med, her college will probably require that she takes their biology again anyway, but you can always check with them first.