Menu

Circle time... I was so excited. What was I thinking?

We have a scripture to read, then sing the song based on it. Then I do reading reflex type exercises with both kids because Jake has speech delay and Emily is balking at sounding out anything. Then we do a US map, labeling the few states that we have already learned. End with felt board rhymes. It was a perfect plan. Both kids learning together. Who was I kidding? Apparently myself. From the get go DD was hesitant to cooperate and giving me attitude, so reading the scripture took twice as long as it should have, involving three prayers for forgiveness and patience. DS was excited at first, holding his own song book, but soon lost interest and wrapped his hand up in a helium balloon, which had to be untangled and then fetched from our 18 foot high ceiling.

Move on to the white board for phonics/auditory processing. DS is out of sight of the board trying to open a board game and complaining loudly. Emily is having attitude at sounding out and using sounds instead of letters. "Well then I won't be doing it with you." I explain that this is to help Jake with his speech. "Well, he isn't even paying attention, and I am not either."

Okay, we will move on to mapping then. Emily labels two states. We can't find our book with the master map to see if the third one is correct. I open the board game for Jake who is still fussing about it and put it on the table, knocking over a glass of milk.

We are done with circle time for today. Don't worry. I am not giving up. If I go through the motions everyday for a week maybe the kids will catch on.

:grouphug:

Keep going! Although you might try only a couple of those activities instead of all of them for awhile until the kids get used to the idea of circle time.

But don't give up! Mom is in charge regardless of the 7 year-old's attitude! (At least that's what I keep telling myself with ds7:tongue_smilie:).

I'm going through a similar time. We're starting a new curriculum this July. Right now I'm trying to get them to sit for some readings and I'm struggling with my middle two (and my oldest can use some work too). They constantly interrupt, fidget, and sometimes get up. I'm hoping they'll be used to this by July, and save me much trouble then. I figure it's a new habit they need to learn and am trying to use lots of patience and consistency.

We do Circle Time and it has taken months to get everyone to come ungrudgingly and they don't always sit like I would prefer, *but* they have learned a *ton* during CT and they improve every week. I do let them bring a favorite blanket and/or doll to hold. We still have big big frustrations, I don't want you to think it is/has been easy. It isn't and really hasn't been.

Several things I have learned (and am learning) ... mix read alouds, memory work, singing, and some sort of physical activity throughout the time (ours started 30 minutes and our stretch to 1 hour has been painful ... the moving helps); move before starting (we start our day with Circle Time) ... if we take a walk, or do an exercise video, or ride bikes for half an hour first, it is sooooo better; my attitude is the biggest influence on CT - take a deep breath, examine my attitude, pray, smile, and be excited!

Kendra at Preschoolers and Peace has an eBook that I found very helpful: Circle Time: Plan the Best Part of Your Day. It is normally $10, but I picked it up during one of the CurrClick freebie weeks.

Kendra at Preschoolers and Peace has an eBook that I found very helpful: Circle Time: Plan the Best Part of Your Day. It is normally $10, but I picked it up during one of the CurrClick freebie weeks.
I have it!
I love the three prayers for forgiveness and patience. You made me smile.
It was the only thing I could do that was a good example. ;)
Do you think maybe a little workbox stlye set up might help? Maybe give ds something to do other than whatever mischief he can find himself?
Maybe if I use his leap frog letters for the auditory processing that will make it more exciting for him. I am thinking of singing the song, then auditory processing, then scripture, that way the important parts for him are out of the way before the boring stuff begins. Edited by Lovedtodeath

Oh the monday back after long breaks :grouphug: Maybe you should slowly add your circle time activities in? Maybe adding 1-2 a day until they are back into the routine? (or if this is new for them, so they get into a good routine?)

I am planning on doing something similar in K in the fall. Doing a big classroom calendar for the day of the week, month, weather, do our character building book, story time, then we will move to math and phonics, then we will take a break, then we will read a book about science (his choice) then play our money game, the read one of the historical books I have picked out, (and it WILL go that smoothly too-- so dont tell me it wont :lol:):D

So fun (and yet not so at the same time sometimes) being a homeschooler!!!

ETA: We will be including LOTS of playdoh into our daily schedule, for letters, and blends, and math and whatever else I can use it for-- my boys are addicted to it LOL

Oh the monday back after long breaks :grouphug: Maybe you should slowly add your circle time activities in? Maybe adding 1-2 a day until they are back into the routine? (or if this is new for them, so they get into a good routine?)

I am planning on doing something similar in K in the fall. Doing a big classroom calendar for the day of the week, month, weather, do our character building book, story time, then we will move to math and phonics, then we will take a break, then we will read a book about science (his choice) then play our money game, the read one of the historical books I have picked out, (and it WILL go that smoothly too-- so dont tell me it wont :lol:):D

LOL! I plan to add math facts and character (from Boys and Girls of Colonial Days with the guide from Beautiful Feet) in later. Then after our feet are wet for a while, we are starting HOD!:scared:

LOL! I plan to add math facts and character (from Boys and Girls of Colonial Days with the guide from Beautiful Feet) in later. Then after our feet are wet for a while, we are starting HOD!:scared:

I haven't heard of that one. We are using A Childs Book of Character Building by Ron and Rebekah Coriell. I like it. I am going through and getting activity ideas to go along with it. Going to attempt lots of artsy things for them! That might get difficult for the creative challenged such as myself!:glare:

I tried circle time with my kids when they were five and four. I tried for six weeks. It never worked. They hated it.

Honestly, I think circle time really only works when you have enough kids to form a circle (read: peer pressure).

Tara

Guest Cindie2dds

We had never heard of it until we bought Oak Meadow. :blushing: Sometimes it's just me and my oldest, but it's an amazing fun time. We don't do it every day, probably just a couple times a week. We won't give it up for a long time. :)

We are in the same boat. Maybe it is only a homeschooling myth this whole sitting at a table attentively without fighting or making burping noises. hmmmm....

I have a 4 and 7 year old and it is difficult for us as well. Our goal this summer is to get a circle time routine going so that when we start back in with a full school schedule it will go smoothly. Do you think 2 months will be enough?? I don't know if I will last that long.

We are going to learn the days of the week!!! In order!! and the difference between yesterday and today!!!! We are starting small with low expectations:)

Keep us updated about your circle time experiment.....

Can I ask a sincere ? Why do you do circle time? I guess I'm not understanding what's involved. We do morning drill and recitation - is that what this is, just a different name?
In my mind Yes... some call it that when it is something that all of the children are involved in, instead of being taught separately.