Menu

Do you have a website, blog, or no publicity for your "homeschool"?

Publicity or privacy?  

1. 1. Publicity or privacy?

• Have a public website for our homeschool
    • Would if I could
    • Have a public blog for admissions
    • Have a private blog for friends/acquaintances
    • Prefer privacy

I'm wondering how many have made an actual website for your homeschool which could then be referenced by a college admissions office?

Some might like to but don't have any experience setting up a website...

Some prefer to be completely anonymous....(I have in years past) but am wondering if it would be good for college apps, if I don't get that umbrella school started...

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Joan

I'm also wondering if websites toward the end of a family's educating times, with info on successes, etc. would be helpful in educating the public....

(Though I'm thinking that the websites would not include addresses to avoid any kind of targeting).

All these successful homeschoolers who then just disappear into the mass of college students just become numbers in some statistics.

This type of thing might be the answer to the "need hard data" thread OP...instead of cold info like 5 kids to MIT, etc. Pictures of volunteer work, contests, college successes, etc which can put a face on the stats might help dispell common misconceptions.

Just wondering...

Joan

Ds isn't to high school yet, but I wonder if that could be a benefit to my blog. Currently our blog is mainly for family, which all live hundreds of miles away. I do think about colleges (or potential employers) viewing the blog down the road and, to an extent, it colors what I blog. I view it more as a newsletter.

I did think of having ds create a blog in high school, strictly for school related stuff. I'll be interested to see if others have done this and if it had benefit.

Publishing details of children's success for the world to see -- with the wisdom of hindsight, I am NOW reluctant to do that.

I called the local newspaper about something one of my children did a few years ago. The something was a nice achievement, but now and into the foreseeable future, when you google this child's name that newspaper article appears. It's not a bad article, but the info in it is now available to any and all acquaintances forever. Yikes!

In hindsight, I would not have made that information public. Things on the web can't just be erased.