Menu

Can anyone compare for me these two curriculums? We are looking at the Ancient History volume for both.

This would be for my 10th grade dd, who is a Wiggly Willy by Cathy Duffy's definition. She has used a combination of TOG classic and BJU in the past.

And does anyone know where we can see a sample of KONOS? I can not find it on the website.

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

Biggest difference? Planning

I am not really familiar with KONOS, having only looked at their main volume, but I have used MFW. You will have less hands-on with MFW than with KONOS.

May I suggest two more to look at.

Heart of Dakota, Creation to the Cross is AWESOME. It is all planned out for you.

or

Diana Waring's History Alive Ancient Civilizations. THis one requires your planning, but it has tons of ideas well organized.

Both cover al learning learning styles.

Michelle

My dd's using MFW AHL, and she does it almost completely independently. There's virtually NO prep time with this program, and Mom's time is minimal, too. I'm available to answer questions and have brief discussions throughout the week *as* she's studying, but then we have a sit-down time once a week to go over everything and work on any questionable areas, grade papers, etc.

AHL will give your dd 1 full credit each in Bible, History, and English/Lit.

HOD has more hands-on than MFW, BUT, HOD's program for this time period is intended for elementary students, so that makes a difference, too. (MFW also has an elementary program for this time period with more hands-on.) Carrie of HOD has given suggestions on the boards for how you can beef up the HOD Creation to Christ for an older student, but resources for high school level credit don't come with the program... you'll have to add those on your own. I have no idea how you'd apply high school credits for this, as it would depend on which resources you add to the program.

I have no experience with KONOS or Diana Waring's stuff.

Thanks bunches....Think I am going to stick with my original idea to go with MFW. I have another child that is graduating and I know I need to simplify for next year with the others. OH! But the price! AUGH! :w00t:

The price does seem steep until you realize that it covers 3 full subjects for the year. ;) You won't need to add *anything* in Bible, History or Lit/English unless your child is weak in a particular area. For example, my dd needed some more grammar reinforcement, so she's doing Easy Grammar Plus. But grammar is included in the program, too, and if you stay with MFW through high school, there will be more grammar included in the future. So you might not need to supplement at all. We maybe could've gotten by without it, in fact. I just felt more secure for HER knowing she was getting that extra bit of reinforcement. I shan't imagine we'll need to supplement again at all after this year.

Do you have any younger children that may use the program when they reach h.s.? If so, that'll be a cost savings, too. There are only 6 pieces out of the whole program that you'd need to replace for a subsequent student, and only 5 if you choose to copy the lesson plan grid for your student to mark up instead of letting her write in the book. You can also have her NOT write in the OT Challenge Book if you want to save it for another child. (She writes the answers out in a separate notebook, but my dd tends to mark things up like I do and makes notes to herself in books, and then she wants to keep them for life. :lol: )