Menu

Autodidacticism? Intellectual curiosity?

How can I instill this in my children? Or can I?

I remember reading a lot, lot, lot as a child. My identical twin and I were very advanced for our age. I got stacks of library books about whatever subject was interesting; Tudor England, Native Americans, or anything. I still played outside and had a lot of friends too. I don't remember much about school academics until my AP classes. Many of my childhood memories though were about books and things I learned about. I was a National Merit finalist and received a scholarship to a private college. My parents were not involved whatsoever in academics or college apps - they didn't go to college themselves. They never cared about our schoolwork, just took it for granted we made good grades but didn't care either way.

But, I'm lost in how to impart a love of learning to my children. They get so much more out of homeschool than I did out of public school. We cover soooo much in history that maybe there isn't much left to self-research and learn? They do know a lot about history and science. They do well in their core subjects. But after school, they would always choose physical activity or chatting with us or friends over reading. I'm a little concerned that they aren't getting their reading speed up enough to tackle the harder works or building a base of vocabulary that comes from regular rigorous reading. My daughter has read lots of smaller books for history this year, we read several noteable classics aloud, and she read 40 Mandie series books. But, she doesn't choose challenging works on her own. My son has read Homer Price, Boxcar books, lot of smaller history books but I'm concerned he's not reading many chapter books beyond that.

Any advice???

Can anyone relate?

Edited by LNC

Two things I do:

1. I keep a notepad where I jot down those little "wonderings" that we have sometimes while reading our history or science. It might be something like "Was Robin Hood based on a real person?" or "Pictures of Paramecium". Then every now and then we take a day off of scheduled school for rabbit trails. I get my notepad and we google (actually I do the googling and then call the kids over when I actually find something). We've found some really neat sites with all sorts of interesting information. The kids are intensely interested because I am. I've found that my older child (almost 13) now asks for permission to search for some of these wonderings on his own after school now. I just make sure that his search terms are not ones that would likely bring up smutty stuff.

Just so you know these rabbit trail days are also called "dot our i's and cross our t's days" because while I'm googling, the kids are correcting and filling in those assignments that somehow got lost in the shuffle. Or their doing that science experiment that got shoved off to the side etc.

2. When we go to the library I will choose a slightly more challenging fiction or interesting non-fiction book to add to their pile. I only do this about once a month. It stretches them just a little bit without making it a chore for them.

How can I instill this in my children? Or can I?

I remember reading a lot, lot, lot as a child. My identical twin and I were very advanced for our age. I got stacks of library books about whatever subject was interesting; Tudor England, Native Americans, or anything. I still played outside and had a lot of friends too. I don't remember much about school academics until my AP classes. Many of my childhood memories though were about books and things I learned about. I was a National Merit finalist and received a scholarship to a private college. My parents were not involved whatsoever in academics or college apps - they didn't go to college themselves. They never cared about our schoolwork, just took it for granted we made good grades but didn't care either way.

But, I'm lost in how to impart a love of learning to my children. They get so much more out of homeschool than I did out of public school. We cover soooo much in history that maybe there isn't much left to self-research and learn? They do know a lot about history and science. They do well in their core subjects. But after school, they would always choose physical activity or chatting with us or friends over reading. I'm a little concerned that they aren't getting their reading speed up enough to tackle the harder works or building a base of vocabulary that comes from regular rigorous reading. My daughter has read lots of smaller books for history this year, we read several noteable classics aloud, and she read 40 Mandie series books. But, she doesn't choose challenging works on her own. My son has read Homer Price, Boxcar books, lot of smaller history books but I'm concerned he's not reading many chapter books beyond that.

Any advice???

Can anyone relate?

I was re-reading my copy of TWTM a few weeks back and one of the things that caught my eye was Jesse Wise' recollection of how she required her kids to check out several books each week from the library. I think that the breakdown was history, biography, poetry, science, handicraft.

I have gotten great mileage out of summer reading programs that log pages or books read. Sometimes I use what the library is running. Sometimes I create my own incentive program.

I did create a good books reading list that I asked my kids to read from. No tests or written work on them, although I did ask the boys to tell me about the book and what they liked or didn't like about it. They seemed to really enjoy the project and I will probably put together a second list for the summer time. These were mosty what our family calls crackin' good yarns - just good stories that might be old enough that they aren't promoted in Scholastic fliers or connected to upcoming movies.

I've also found that our family's reading habit is inversely related to the hours that the tv is on. We're not tv teetotalers, but I can't ignore the connection.

Charlotte mason used to provide time for masterly inactivity.

We do this by having unstructured time. We have no TV anyway, so we also have a computer free day every now and again, and also computer free, school free time.

If your kids are required to read challenging stuff for school they may choose lighter stuff for free time. After all we all need 'time off'!

I'm not suggesting not challenging them during school time, but do they have free time as well. If you nag them during free time, or worse, require them to document everything they read during free reading they are not going to choose to read, any more than you would if your dh required a list of all you had read with dates started and finished!

I think what i am saying....your kids are young, they need time chatting to friends, time outside, time playing board games. they will read if the TV is not on and if they have time, space and freedom to do it! maybe just not all the time...

...that some of it is just the type of kid. I have two older children (teens) that are a little more than a year apart, have been brought up the same, and one of them is definitely more intellectually curious than the other. (According to my definition of it, that is.)

Charlotte mason used to provide time for masterly inactivity.

We do this by having unstructured time. We have no TV anyway, so we also have a computer free day every now and again, and also computer free, school free time

We do have a tv, but since there are so many of us, lol, we have to budget time for it. Same with the computer. It's not open for free reign, because we all have to share. I really believe in stocking the house the same way I believe in stocking the pantry; some fluff, but mostly stuff you want them ingesting (both mentally and physically). If they can't watch something, or mess around on the computer, then they'll pick up a book, some legos, or art materials.

If your kids are required to read challenging stuff for school they may choose lighter stuff for free time. After all we all need 'time off'!

I'm not suggesting not challenging them during school time, but do they have free time as well. If you nag them during free time, or worse, require them to document everything they read during free reading they are not going to choose to read, any more than you would if your dh required a list of all you had read with dates started and finished!

Again...I agree. I take my kids to the library regularly, and let them check out...mostly whatever they want. Seriously. Sometimes the older kids have things they need for assignments, but the younger kids are there to get books and videos that interest them. Sometimes it's books about wolves, or firemen/policemen, sometimes it's a book that tells you how to play poker. (Yes, my 8yo looked up "poker" and checked out a book about it. For real.) All I'm trying to do is reinforce the idea that the library is where you go to research...and sometimes get fluff, too.

But going back to my first point; all kids are different. I think that there are things you can do to provide an environment that makes it easier for a child's intellectual curiosity to bloom...but there are some kids who are more likely to respond.

I think you also have to be comfortable with letting them explore, even if you don't see a value in it. There are things that can spark discussions or interests that you might not expect. A video game can pique a child's curiosity about a classic work of literature, or a grotesque movie that you have to be talked into letting a teen see can spark discussions about the Spanish Civil War, the influence of myth, and the work of Francisco de Goya.

There are teachable moments that spring from a lot of "free time" activities, if you're simply engaging in a conversational way of life, keeping an eye out for your children's (more worthwhile) interests, and looking for ways to whet appetites.

Everyone has had amazingly wonderful comments I'm printing out to keep for myself. But I wanted to add one thing: even in 5th grade many kids are still acquiring reading stamina and will read at a fairly easy level in order to gradually sustain the time they are able to spend on books. I had forgotten that many books right around grades five or six change type size -- the print becomes smaller and the pages more crowded. It takes some kids (like my daughter) time to become adjusted to that, and comfortable with it physically.

When my daughter made the switch, she turned from kids' chapter books to adult fantasy and fiction almost overnight. Once she hit adult books she began making the connections I had thought she never would, finding references to Shakespeare, or commenting on the style of specific sentences, or noting what types of openings were characteristic of a particular author. That just didn't happen when she was younger and wanted the intensity of experiencing the story, not information.

So, along with what everyone else has said, some of it is simply age and reading stamina.

(Jean, we did a wondering book too for many years; it's a great tool.)

Thanks so much! Anyone else please chime in!

They don't watch tv except for 3-4 movies per year or educational documentaries and have minimal computer time - 30-40 min. per week. Their special needs 12yo brother watches shows like Little Bear and Thomas after school, but they don't watch it. We don't have video games.

They really enjoy their many friends on the street (a mix of school and homeschool kids, all great kids), and they are very active playing sports or board games together. Also, my daughter has ballet for 2 hrs 3x a week and my son has team sports practice and games 2x a week. I think that is part of it, I never had any organized activity to go to.

Getting to a level where they do well on the SATS, AP courses, get a possible scholarship seems so unreal to me. I don't have any idea how I did it - except for my memories of reading all the time about unusual things!

Thanks again for sharing!

Be a good example.

I don't think it is that easy. Or maybe I just need to wait longer. My oldest (never hs) started really researching, reading, and studying for himself after about age 12. He's in high school, now, though, and doesn't have time for his own pursuits as much.

Maybe my younger ones will come around.

I think you can try things, but in the end...your kids, all of our kids, are their own people, and they may not turn out like us. They may have different values, they may have different bents. We highly value intellectual pursuits and reading...they may not be here for that. We can give them a good education...to a certain extent...but in the end, they may be heading in other directions. They may be more practical, more arty, more social, less academic that we are.

I too was a big time reader and studier. I never stopped. I dont think there has been a time since I could read, that I didnt have at least once book next to my bed, and I read daily, every single day.

My kids have been good readers....but lately, they aren't so interested in reading in their own time. I am disappointed. I am disappointed they choose to play on their ipods in the evenings, or chat with their friends online, and aren't always in the middle of a good book.

But..what can I do? I assign reading, they enjoy it, I read aloud, they enjoy it....they don't choose to read in their own time at the moment....I think I just need to accept them- they are teenagers. Its their free time. Its not free if I make them read.

I think we are often the type that choose to homeschool. We are attracted to it. But our kids may have different directions.

Meanwhile..while they are young...limit access to crappy books and keep them on a steady diet of fantastic children's literature. Build the foundation. What they do with it after a point is up to them...we can't control it all, and they need to feel we accept them if they choose to run around being sporty instead of reading quietly.

I've posted this before, but...

In no particular order, thoughts on creating lifelong learners and/or children who love to learn:

1. Fill your home with books. Good books that your children are allowed to sleep with, play with, wear out, etc. (get them cheap if this will make your wallet hurt.) Oh, and *good* art supplies that they are allowed to use whenever. And good music.

2. Show your children that you value education by how you spend your own free time. Research shows a high correlation between boys' fathers' reading and their own, for example. They need to see that you don't just make them learn, you have a passion for it, too. Get rid of your TV, read classic books, spend your free time learning....

3. Spend family time learning. Play games, visit museums, discuss things. Show them by example how delightful learning can be. Plan vacations around historical landmarks and learn enough about them ahead to be an interesting guide to them.

4. Show them through your money and time that you value their interests. If they are interested in something, buy them what they need, take them where they need to go, listen when they talk about it. If they don't have an interest/passion, throw some at them until one sticks, and then guide them through it until they learn to do it on their own.

5. Start "school" with them really young. A few minutes a day for the first few years, gradually building up (my goal is an hour in K) so that they never have the shock of, "Okay, now you are 5 1/2 and you have to sit and do this." Make it a treat/reward to sit at the table with the big kids, if they are a little sibling.

6. Seek out others who love topics and let your children see them in action. Praise these people in front of your children, showing them that this is a trait to be admired.

7. Give them the tools and uninterrupted hours needed. To get in hours of uninterrupted free study time and a rigorous school schedule, you might have to cut out other things. Do it.

8. Even when they are older, still treat "school time" as a privilege to be desired. Explain it as you taking your valuable time to teach them something you, in your more advanced years, are pretty sure they will need in life.

9. Don't make them do dumb stuff for school time. They can smell twaddle, busy work, whatever you call it. (Charlotte Mason is great on this topic.) Focus on things that are important and tell them frequently why they are important.

10. Success in something breeds a desire to do it. Give them the basic skills they need to learn, so that they may feel successful. Use a good, solid phonics/reading program and math program, so that they have the building blocks to even be able to pursue topics that interest them later. Spend the early years on this and character formation instead of trying to cover every little topic under the sun.

It sounds like you are doing many of them. You may just need to help them along in developing an area of interest.

We control what dc read. I have classics on the shelf, and that is all they have access to for the first few years that they are reading independently. We do a half hour to an hour of "you can read or sleep" each night. They almost always choose to read, so they get through a LOT of good books. I talk to them about the challenge of the vocabulary and give them strategies (context clues, Latin roots, dictionary, ask mom) to figure out the words.

Playing with their friends and sports are good pursuits, too. Maybe they take all the time that could be spent on learning to love reading and ideas, though. I would just make sure to have one or two nights a week where they were home to pursue individual interests.

I think you can try things, but in the end...your kids, all of our kids, are their own people, and they may not turn out like us.

:iagree:and it make take time. I didn't develop my parent's love of opera until I was in my 40's, but they both liked it from an early age.