Menu

What's your favorite memory of something your Mom did?

Anytime I was sick we would snuggle up in the rocking chair. She would drop everything and spend all day with me in that chair if need be. And so it is every time I need her. She will drop everything to be there. That's my Mom!

My mom read aloud to us (me and 4 sisters). She had an amazing talent for making the stories come alive and could do accents! She knew just when to stop to keep us begging for more. Even though my three older sisters are 5, 6 and 7 years older than I, she read to all of us so I got to listen to wonderful stories far above my ability to read. Many of my favorite books are ones she introduced me to as a child on those cozy evenings or afternoons. :)

My mom always made sure there was a way I could take classes/do things I had an interest in, even though we were pretty poor for most of my childhood (she was a single mom and money was tight). I don't recall her ever saying "we can't afford that" even though I now know she really couldn't afford those things most of the time.

She cooked good simple food, with lots of veggies, that was delicious, and had the table done up in linen and china and silver. She combed the barns of the midwest, and brought home beautiful walnut antiques. She needlepointed the seat cushions for the antique chairs. Our garden was full of iris and hollyhocks and tomatoes.

Her eye and ear for beauty and good taste was unfailing, and she had a sharp wit. I remember driving by a cow nursing 2 very hungry calves. The cow was bellowing. My mother rolled down the window, leaned out, and shouted "That'll learn you!"

She was beautiful. I take after my dad, so I can brag: she was half Ingrid Bergman-half Katherine Hepburn. I remember looking up from a Brownies meeting and she was such a shining star in the back.

She was a generally serious work-a-holic, always busy in the house or garden, but when she laughed, she tipped over in giggles, speechless. She was fearless, and I once saw her face down a huge snarling dog with just a broom. I always got sound advice from her, and felt treasured and loved by her. Years back she translated an entire cookbook from the German for me.

I really appreciated how she didn't have to sugar-coat things. She could love a child, but be very honest about his/her failings. A criticism from her was a demonstration of her regard for you, not an attack.

My last memory of her was how calm and cheerful she was her last few days, petting her cat, and being her honest self until she lapsed into unconsciousness.

Edited by kalanamak

My mother was very wise, loving and accepting. She was always supportive, and I could always obtain an honest assessment of things from her. I miss her deeply.

During her last few days, one poignant thing she told me was that "Sometimes you just have to leave things up to God." She taught me that it's okay to let go, and that was a true gift.

My parents both worked through my entire childhood, so in a way, I practically raised myself. My parents loved me and I always knew that, but they weren't the cuddly, reading-before-bed, special-trips-and-outings, let's-bake-together types. They didn't have a lot left over after all the responsibilities were taken care of, and I get that and don't resent it. However, my mom spent the last seven years taking care of my girls two to three days a week, in spite of how much stress it created for her, because I had to work until we could get to a place where I could quit my job. She intentionally only had one child, so helping to parent two--especially in a very different manner than she raised me--was not easy for her. I will always be supremely grateful to her for that, and for the special relationship she has with my girls for that reason. I'm thankful that she is still so young (only 55), and that she'll likely still have a long time with us to watch them grow into women.

Edited by melissel

My mom was a single mom and worked her tail off to make sure we had everything we needed as well as a lot of "wants". Like a pp said, she always made sure we were able to do the activities we wanted and only grumbled a little. :001_smile:

Mom loves me with a fierce love. Even when I was a rude, disgusting, horrible teenager and ran away and did awful things, she always came to get me and let me know she still loved me.

A favorite memory of her: she called me from work one day to let me know she'd scheduled an appointment for me to get a perm. I had wanted that perm f.o.r.e.v.e.r! I was so excited! :D

I was an adult. She came to Arizona to visit me and the kids. She and Dad attended the Homeschool Conference with me (xh did not :lol:) and followed me around the curriculum fair asking "Would you like that? I'll buy it."

Her support, both emotional and financial, was an incredible gift.

Talk, talk, talk, and talk with me some more! I raced to tell her when I got my first kiss, and she answered every uncomfortable question with honesty. Nothing was off-limits, and it built tremendous trust. She's still my favorite person to talk with.

When I was very young I used to get the most excruciatingly painful ear infections. My mother worked full time and had six children to raise, but I remember that she would hold me, patting my back and sometimes singing to me, pacing up and down the hall until I stopped crying and was able to fall back asleep.

I vividly remember understanding even at such a young age what a big deal that was, since I knew she was tired and needed the rest.

Wow. :glare:

I'm seriously jealous.

Not my FAVOURITE memory, but the most prominent is being told REPEATEDLY that "if abortion woulda' been legal I would have had an abortion when I found out I was pregnant with you".

:001_huh:

Can ya FEEL the love?

This may be why I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to tell my kids their own stories about how, "We wanted, not just any baby,.....we wanted YOU and we were SO EXCITED when we were finally able to meet you!!!" :001_wub:

I'm so jealous. I read all of these descriptions and I hope to be the kind of mother that you all have. My mom wasn't bad, but she never taught me anything, never wanted to spend time with me and always said the wrong things. She didn't deliberately screw me up....it was all by mistake, so I don't blame her much but I still wish I'd had a good childhood.

Childhood: My mom read to us all the time. That is my greatest memory. Plus, she didn't hate Candy Land, and if she did, she never let on. ;) She helped us make the playdough recipe that used to be on the salt container. I remember that very well. LOL She was a working mom (I appreciate that she respects my current decision to be home); she always had something interesting to share with us at dinner. She was also a good cook! And oh! We used to love love to snuggle with her on her bed on cold or rainy Sunday afternoons to watch old B & W movies on Channel 56. LOL That was so wonderful.

Edited by LibraryLover

When I was a kid, my mom rallied a neighborhood (next to the Montessori School she taught at) to protest the cutting down of a beautiful old tree. She got out there and protected a little piece of local history, I admired her so much for that. I still do.

I'm seriously jealous.

Not my FAVOURITE memory, but the most prominent is being told REPEATEDLY that "if abortion woulda' been legal I would have had an abortion when I found out I was pregnant with you".

:001_huh:

Can ya FEEL the love?

This may be why I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to tell my kids their own stories about how, "We wanted, not just any baby,.....we wanted YOU and we were SO EXCITED when we were finally able to meet you!!!" :001_wub:

Wow - I'm sorry. Know that you are building a different heritage for your beloveds.

My mother was very ill when I was small, and passed away shortly after my 6th birthday. Some of my most vivid memories of her were of her letting my sister and me "do" her hair in the way only 3 & 5 year olds can. lol I distinctly remember at least one occasion where we had done so, complete with about ten barrettes and four or five ponytails with those old yarn hair ribbons, and she left it as it was not only around the house but when we later left the house to run errands that day.

She was also very musical and would allow us to bang away on her piano to our hearts' delight, and let us play with her clarinet too.

One of my earliest memories of my mom is a picture I saw of her and Clint Eastwood from the early 60's. She was a model and got to be at some photo shoot with both him and Jimmy Stewart. I remember thinking how beautiful she was and that I wanted to look just like her.

My favorite memories are of her teaching me (trying to) how to sew. She had an old sewing machine and we would head out to the adjacent building on our property that was used as an office/storage/craft room We'd build a big fire in the wood stove and turn on old movies and she would teach me how to sew.

She worked full time all my life and dealt with a horribly controlling husband (my dad) but always made me feel important and cared for.

She's over 1000 miles away today and I miss her terribly!

I was raised by my single Mom with no help at all from my Dad. The warmest memory I have from my childhood is that Mom used to get up really early every morning (4 AM or so). In that time, she would clean, do laundry etc and she was always singing. She had this one gospel album that she loved to sing along to and at Christmas time, it was always Nat King Cole or Elvis Christmas album. I would lay in my bed in the mornings after waking and just listen to her sing. Whenever I hear any of that music, I feel all warm inside.

We just lost my mom in February. So many good memories. My mom gave me a love of learning. We would travel and stop at historical sites, go to Florida and get guidebooks to find the names of all the shells, make sea shell crafts and all kinds of other things. She cooked great meals, made hard candy and easter candy, baked, etc. She kept the house clean, had fresh vegetables in the garden and worked as a nurse on top of it all. She had a wonderful dry sense of humor that never left her even with alzheimer's disease. Out of the blue she would tease a visitor or a nurse and they often talked about her sense of humor. She loved kids and animals and passed that on to both kids and grandchildren. She was a fierce advocate for my rights, always there when I needed her and always thought the best of me. I'm grateful that she is now in her heavenly home with her new mind and body and I look forward to seeing her again.

She'd stand over the stove cooking while helping me memorize Scripture that I was certain was way too long to *ever* be memorized. She would write ridiculous lymerics to help me remember other things, like taking my science book to school w/ me.

But since growing up? She finally read something I wrote & said it was good. So good, she cried, printed it, & mailed it to her mom. It sounds silly, but I've been writing for 20 yrs. She just did that a couple of mos ago.

When I was about 18, I was sick and at that point was spending most of my time at my boyfriend's house (dh now) . My mom brought me a goodie bag of soup, 7-up, my favorite popcicles, and some medicine. I hadn't asked her to, nor had I complained, she just heard I was sick and showed up with it.

It was the last bit of mothering she would probably ever do for me.

My mother passed away almost four years ago, but I have many wonderful memories of her and like to recall those.:001_smile: She was very funny and silly and we had many great times laughing and acting crazy in public together. She was also my biggest supporter and truly felt that I was the best mother/wife/friend/daughter/etc...whatever I did, she was so proud of me. I still carry her love and support in my heart and in everything I do for and with my kids, there are strands of her woven in.:001_smile:

My mom would "do magic" with my dolls during the night when I was around six or seven. I'd spend hours wrapping presents from around the house for them, setting out meals of cereal and cookies, etc. In the morning the food would be gone but for crumbs, the packages opened, and the dolls "caught" by morning light in the midst of their adventures.

It's just about impossible to say how much I loved this. I did it for my daughter when she was little, too.

I'm so jealous. I read all of these descriptions and I hope to be the kind of mother that you all have. My mom wasn't bad, but she never taught me anything, never wanted to spend time with me and always said the wrong things. She didn't deliberately screw me up....it was all by mistake, so I don't blame her much but I still wish I'd had a good childhood.

That about sums it up. My mother wasn't abusive and I know she loved me and wanted me (and my brother). She did everything for us, came to every game, every performance, paid for my college, is a great MomMom to my kids, put up with my father, made sure we were clothed and fed, etc. I love her dearly. But I grieve the mother I needed, wanted and didn't have...the warm, affectionate, compassionate woman whom I could say anything to, talk to about anything, get a reassuring hug from when I felt down or scared or vulnerable or whatever. I needed that and still do sometimes. I forgive her for her shortcomings in that area and praise her for all the rest she did well. But "grief" is a tough thing...

That about sums it up. My mother wasn't abusive and I know she loved me and wanted me (and my brother). She did everything for us, came to every game, every performance, paid for my college, is a great MomMom to my kids, put up with my father, made sure we were clothed and fed, etc. I love her dearly. But I grieve the mother I needed, wanted and didn't have...the warm, affectionate, compassionate woman whom I could say anything to, talk to about anything, get a reassuring hug from when I felt down or scared or vulnerable or whatever. I needed that and still do sometimes. I forgive her for her shortcomings in that area and praise her for all the rest she did well. But "grief" is a tough thing...

Aw, Sue. Don't assume that a good memory--or even a cache of them--means that we don't have bad ones, too.

The things that are wrong w/ my mom break my heart, but that makes it that much more important for me to remember all the moments & things for which I'm so grateful.

I know there are exceptions, but w/ most people, we can see the good if we really try. Sometimes I think the pedastal that comes w/ the term "mom" is just too much for anyone to have to live up to. When you remove expectations & realize that the women who gave birth to us are just people, no different in their struggles than we are, it's easier, imo, to respect the things they got right. When it comes to parenting, I think getting *anything* right is pretty heroic.

:grouphug:

I have many, many wonderful memories of my mom. As a child, she read to me night after night, until I could read by myself. (Later, she read to my children at night when my parents came and spent the winters with us.)

When she found out I was pregnant with my first child, she held a garage sale and gave me all the money for the baby. $600. At the time, we didn't have two nickels to rub together. I got to pick out a crib at the baby store instead of a yard sale! Then she sent me $50 a month for a year for diapers.

Mom didn't hesitate to tell me what she thought, and we didn't always agree. But when I needed her, she was always there. I lost my mom 11 months ago yesterday and I miss her so very much. The good memories, though, sustain me. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I miss you!

So many good memories . . .

--teaching me to play jacks and sitting on the floor endlessly playing jacks with me

--scrimping to secretly buy me my first game (Cootie) and hiding it for six months so I would have a gift for Christmas

--saying she wasn't hungry or that she had already eaten when I asked why she wasn't eating with me (there wasn't enough food for both of us)

--teaching me my lessons the year before I started school so I would be comfortable in this new adventure

--diligently taking me to church and giving me my first knowledge of God

--reading to me and passing on that wonderful love of reading, for you're never without a friend if you have a book

--making up number games and word games to play to pass the time while we waited for my alcoholic father to emerge from some bar

--protecting me

--being steadfast in very difficult circumstances, and being very brave when those circumstances mandated major life changes

--always encouraging me

--always believing in me

--always reminding me that she always wanted a girl, she always wanted ME, that she knew from the outset I was a girl -- and this shy momma actually telling her doctor in no uncertain terms to his repeated assertion that I was a boy - that NO I was a girl and her name is --- (the doctor was admittedly shocked when I was not a boy)

--taking very long walks together

--always being there for me, and later for me and my family

--not ever making me feel guilty for anything, but assuring me that I had a good head on my shoulders and I could make good decisions

--being understanding and wise in ways that I don't think I will ever reach

--the very short note she left me to find after she passed away - it means everything to me

This list could go on and on and on . . . No, Mom wasn't perfect - none of us are - but she was the best mother this girl could ever have had. This is my first Mother's Day without her and I almost made it through without crying - until now . . .

I'm seriously jealous.

I think we had the same mother. I heard those same words. And, I honestly can not think of one good memory of my childhood involving my mother. My dad? Yes. Grandparents? Yes. Mother? No.

My mum did some great craft activities with my brother and I, such as baked enamel jewellery- I still have a piece I made with her. She also did things like paper flowers, and pottery with us. It was rare, but it meant a lot to me.

Nowadays she is very, very creative. She is a master weaver and spinner.

Mmm, makes you wonder what memories we are creating with our kids, eh? Nagging to get their work done all day? :glare:

Oh ok, I guess I do do some fun things...but I am often so exhausted from homeschooling, I just want to escape into my own world and let the kids do their own thing a lot.

My mom died in 2004, and some of my most precious memories are of her and her Bible study. She couldn't get enough. She loved her Bible and her Savior! Her appetite was insatiable, and I love that about her.

We also laughed so hard together--the kind of laughing where you can hardly breathe and then have to burp. :lol:

She was my best friend.