Menu

Do you have alot of pets?

this is THE misconception that bothers me. I think most people automatically assume that with as many animals as we have that our house probably isn't clean. BUT, it's SPOTLESS when we have people over. If I want it spotless all the time, I just have to vacuum twice per day instead of once.

The kids are the ones that make the house dirty. ;)

I don't know that it's a misconception. It's not as if everyone who has pets has an immaculate house, but wild stereotypes out there label pet-owners as being slobs.

I think we all know people with pets whose homes are nasty, as well as people without pets whose homes are nasty.

It's just that I like a *clean* house, and having no pets makes it much easier to keep a clean house. :)

Ya all of our pets are from rescues except for the lizards. (Does the frog and salamander from the garage count as a rescue?) Ok the dogs and cat were from pet rescues. We have decided we can not go there "just to look" anymore:001_huh: We have a decent sized house and a big yard, but still I think we are at our limit ;)

Mine are all rescues, too! In fact, I've driven to PA and upstate NY (I live in NH) to bring animals in need of a good home back to my "sanctuary." I consider our place to be our own self funded rescue. LOVE IT here.

I don't know that it's a misconception. It's not as if everyone who has pets has an immaculate house, but wild stereotypes out there label pet-owners as being slobs.

I think we all know people with pets whose homes are nasty, as well as people without pets whose homes are nasty.

It's just that I like a *clean* house, and having no pets makes it much easier to keep a clean house. :)

I do think it's a misconception because of remarks people make when they come here. "My, your house is SO clean!" "Wow, it doesn't smell in here!" and the like. People assume animals = dirty home. :glare: In my house, no kids would equal a clean home. :D We wipe animal paws before they come inside. We do have to vacuum more, but I don't mind.

I do like the idea of an air purifier. TONS of dust here. Not sure if it's the animals or the dirt road/farm, but we definitely have TONS of dust.

We have a total of five dogs, one cat and four young chickens. Two of our dogs are large enough that people who drive up are generally reluctant to leave their car with out asking if it is safe. One of the large dogs is (we think) a Bloodhound/Golden Retriever cross that weighs about 100 pounds. The other is a Belgian Malinois that weighs about 80 pounds. One of the three small dogs is a Miniature Dachshund that is a paraplegic. Another is a healthy Miniature Dachshund. And the final dog is a Miniature Dachshund/Pomeranian cross. Both large dogs are rescues. The Miniature Dachshund/Pomeranian cross was born after his mother was rescued but she was pregnant when she was rescued.

3 cats

4 frogs

6 fish

pill bugs every summer (we keep them until they have babies)

triops every couple years (we're on this year)

plus whatever we decide to observe of the course of the summer

rats, but not currently

I currently have two dog and five cats in the house and I am not even animal person. One dog and one cat are visitors. I also have a 50 gallon aquarium that will soon house some more fish. I think that my 13 year old will be aquiring another dog within the next years as well.

We currently have one dog, 5 horses, 4 chickens, and 10 geckos.

(RIP "Splat" the treefrog.)

Jackie

ETA: DD7 says I need to include all the baby daddy-long-legs she hatched this year in her little critter tank, which have taken up residence all over the house. So add 100 or so extra "pets" to the 20 above. :D

3 cats here. I agree with those who say there may be some correlation because we're at home and have the time to care for pets. We just got our third cat a week ago. She's a tiny kitten and I can't imagine leaving her here all day alone to fend for herself. Or perhaps I feel that way because my mom never let us get a new pet during the school year when we were kids. She was a teacher and preferred to get the new puppy or kitten when she'd be home to get it trained properly.

We don't have a lot at the moment. Right now we have 1 dog and 2 cats. In the past, we have had hamsters, guinea pigs, frogs, fish, lizards, and more cats. We are considering adding another cat or dog soon, but the costs are a bit prohibitive right now. I can keep animals and kids alive, but not plants.

WE have one cat, one dog, two hermit crabs, one hamster, one 50 gallon aquarium, and just for a few weeks, 12 eggs that we are incubating. The only definitely permanent members of the household are the dog and the cat since we will most likely give away all the others when we are PCSed again.

Mmmmmm Then we must be messy since we have a lot of dogs. :glare:

Add to the stray cat relocation service here also- two arrived last summer when I guess folks were losing their homes and decided our creek and long driveway were the perfect dumping spot.

Laying hens and ducks also.

We only have a puppy who prefers to live next door at my SIL's house, so we maybe see him once a day, if we're lucky.

BUT... I was homeschooled as a child (K through 12). We had, at varying times:

a dog

a cat

4 hermit crabs

4 fish that lived

a whole slew of fish that died

4 gerbils

3-4 litters of gerbil babies

5 hamsters

3 litters of hamster babies

3 guinea pigs

3 litters of guinea pig babies (notice a pattern? I liked rodent babies...)

We also occasionally had toad eggs/tadpoles, toads, frog eggs/tadpoles, and salamanders.

My Mum always refers to my place as a menagerie.

LOL We are not alone!

You don't JUST have pets: you have early career training! :D

We also have a dd who has expressed interest in veterinary medicine (and lots of practice subjects!).

:D

this is THE misconception that bothers me. I think most people automatically assume that with as many animals as we have that our house probably isn't clean. BUT, it's SPOTLESS when we have people over. If I want it spotless all the time, I just have to vacuum twice per day instead of once.

The kids are the ones that make the house dirty.

:iagree:

Mine are all rescues, too!.

I am convinced, when you go in just to look, they have something in the air that makes you leave with that cute, big sad eyed something in your arms :D

In my house, no kids would equal a clean home. We wipe animal paws before they come inside. We do have to vacuum more, but I don't mind.

I do like the idea of an air purifier. TONS of dust here. Not sure if it's the animals or the dirt road/farm, but we definitely have TONS of dust.

LOL We do too! We are going air purifier shopping this weekend and I cant wait! Though we live on a dirt road to, so who knows what it is. I should buy stock in Pledge though :lol:

AMEN SISTER

That and the big kid- the DH

:iagree::iagree:

We have 2 dogs (although they should count as more than 1 each based on size - Great Dane and Great Pyrenees) and 3 cats. For a while it was 3 dogs (another Pyr) when my Mum was with us. We would love some fish and the kids would love some lizards, but DH will NOT have any rodents in the house. DS6 would love some chickens.

I guess I could call them science projects.....

We have no pets. None.

We used to have a snail and a beta fish once. But when they died we never replaced them.

I like a clean house. :D

We are also a pet free home. It's all I can do to keep the place neat with DH and the two kids without having to worry about pet hair and whatnot. Two of us have allergies also and I don't like the thought of having to medicate just so we can have a dog or cat.

Like an early poster said we also love the flexibility to get up and go without having to find someone to look after the animals. We take our little "wild animals" with us on trips. :001_smile:

I can't leave a stray anywhere, and neither can any of my kids!

Right now we have (as probably indicated in the signature, but I think we have actually acquired a couple since):

7 dogs (although one of the small ones lives at my mom's next door)

Australian Shepherd, lab mix 1, lab mix 2, 2 chihuahuas, pom, pom/yorkie

6 cats (all rescues - only most recently rescued teeny kitten lives inside)

1 hermit crab

11 hens

1 rooster

2 mini pot-bellied pigs

3 goats (at least 2 of which are pregnant)

1 horse (she has retired to my sister's so she could be with other horses)

Oh ya, house is very clean, I am a neat freak:glare:unfortunately, but that is one reason I am looking for an air purifier, too much dust. I dust every other day and it still could probably use it more:001_huh: So next weekend we are going to get an air purifier to help with the dust.

Get a Field Controls UV 1500 (or the smaller UV 500) They are AWESOME!!!!)

I actually post regular "critter counts" since our managerie keeps changing. :D Right now we have:

1 outdoor cat

2 tree frogs (2 diff. species)

1 millipede

1 land frog

1 mud turtle

1 hamster

a constantly rotating collection of insects

We have too many pets according to Dh -LOL.

We have

110 lb Akita,

cat (outside a lot),

4 guinea pigs,

1 rat,

1 hamster,

several fish.

My mom also has two little dogs (but she is moving to a senior assistant home in June).

For a moment there I thought it said that you had 110 Akitas. That's even more than 101 Dalmatians!

For a moment there I thought it said that you had 110 Akitas. That's even more than 101 Dalmatians!

LOL, with his shedding it looks like there are 110 Akitas all over my house!!!! I swear I vacuum up enough hair every day that I would expect him to be bald and this is with the kids brushing him regularly!!!!!

We live in the country...with a barn. What's the point of that without animals? :)

I agree!! We'll soon be moving (Lord willing, lol) to a home with twice the acreage, a barn and a couple of other outbuildings. We WILL be getting more animals (probably not until next summer though). I need to clean out the barn first, lol.

Currently, we have 2 dogs and one fish. I would LOVE to get a puppy this summer though. Either a Boxer or an Olde English Bulldogge. I can't decide. Oh, yes, we'll be getting a couple of kittens too! Next summer we plan on getting chickens, cows (2) and possibly a couple of horses and MAYBE pygmy goats, lol.