Menu

Do you have alot of pets?

I ran into an old aquaintance (you know the kind that knows everything) So we got to talking about homeschooling (I try to aviod it at all costs with this person) and he made a comment that I really had a hard time not laughing at. He said "So why is it all homeschoolers have way to many pets?" Now, yes, for US that is true (Life Science anybody??:001_smile:) But he has no way of knowing that as we are strictly aquaintances from a friend of a friend that saw him at a few homeschool playdays. (but one that always has to stop and have HUGE conversations) So I am asking you. Do you have alot of pets?

We have a menagerie of pets-- I mean life science exhibits:D. We have 2 lizards, a bearded dragon and a double crested green basilisk. We have 2 guinea pigs-- I was over ruled on those by dh:001_huh:. My son has a salamander and a frog that he found in our garage last summer. He also has an outside cat. 3 dogs, a pug (my baby:)) a golden retriever and a bull mastiff. Sea monkeys.

Sop glad we dont have allergies and my dd is planning on being a vet :lol:

3 cats, one dog, all inside beasts, er, pets.

It all started when dd wanted a kitten. Got her a kitten and when we took her to to have her spay incision checked (the kitten, not dd), we saw another kitten who needed me. She really did. She said so. Thus, we had 2 kittens. Then, ds felt he needed a kitten, too. Enter kitten #3. FF a few years. We move and I decide we need a dog to bark and alert would-be thieves that we have a dog. At this point, we're (I'm) feeling a bit over-loaded in the pet dept. I decide that we're beyond capacity for pets and if we lose any, they'd not be replaced. Then, my beloved Pixie died and I just needed a kitten again. Enter yet another kitten. And we're back to 3 cats and one dog.

*sigh*

One (old) horse, one dog, nine hens and one rooster. We used to have sea monkeys too but I fear they have all swum across the great divide...haven't seen anything move in the small tank for some time.

Edited by Liz CA

I like a clean house. :D

Oh ya, house is very clean, I am a neat freak:glare:unfortunately, but that is one reason I am looking for an air purifier, too much dust. I dust every other day and it still could probably use it more:001_huh: So next weekend we are going to get an air purifier to help with the dust.

3 cats, one dog, all inside beasts, er, pets.

It all started when dd wanted a kitten. Got her a kitten and when we took her to to have her spay incision checked (the kitten, not dd), we saw another kitten who needed me. She really did. She said so. Thus, we had 2 kittens. Then, ds felt he needed a kitten, too. Enter kitten #3. FF a few years. We move and I decide we need a dog to bark and alert would-be thieves that we have a dog. At this point, we're (I'm) feeling a bit over-loaded in the pet dept. I decide that we're beyond capacity for pets and if we lose any, they'd not be replaced. Then, my beloved Pixie died and I just needed a kitten again. Enter yet another kitten. And we're back to 3 cats and one dog.

*sigh*

Ya all of our pets are from rescues except for the lizards. (Does the frog and salamander from the garage count as a rescue?) Ok the dogs and cat were from pet rescues. We have decided we can not go there "just to look" anymore:001_huh: We have a decent sized house and a big yard, but still I think we are at our limit ;)

No, we only have one aquatic frog.

I know lots of homeschoolers who don't have any pets but.....

The families that I know who have lots of pets, especially those with large variety, are almost all homeschoolers. LOL By lots of pets I am thinking 5 or more furry creatures and many more of varying forms (ie iguanas, geckos, ducks, geese, birds etc). I am not counting farms as these are families on city lots in city limits.

We have one dog, and no plans to add any pets. In the past, we have had fish, garter snakes, a tarantula, and 3 mummified chickens. We bought the chickens at the grocery store, don't worry. Our live pets were never mummified.

I am under strict orders from DH not to feed any animal that does not already bear our last name.

Last month, my sister fed a stray, pregnant cat who gave birth to seven kittens. In addition, 3 or 4 of the stray's pals came to dinner and never left. She now has 13 cats and 1 dog.

Gosh, her life sounds like a math word problem!

Edited by RoughCollie

We have 3 horses, one dog, (we recently buried our other dog), 3 cats (one is pregnant), one salamander, a bakers dozen of chickens, and anything else my animal-loving daughter might care to bring home with her. Maybe the animals is a country thing?

We have one cat. We had two, but we lost one about a year ago. We've had as many as four cats, but that was before we were homeschoolers. :)

A homeschooling friend has 3 (or 4?) dogs and 2 cats. I'm going to have to let her know it's not because her DH has "sucker" written across his forehead. It's because they're a homeschooling family! LOL

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats (in a small house), but we got them before homeschooling. ;)

I love animals. We all want more (except for dh :tongue_smilie:), but small animals have to wait until the kids get some control over their disgusting rooms. Livestock has to wait until we save up to move, as do any additional cats or dogs.

Oh yes we have lots of pets. Outside we have 11 hens, 1 dog, and 1 cat a strange put out. Inside we have 3 cats.

My brother whom did not homeschool has lots of pets. He has about 7 dogs, about 6 rats, several cats, a pet pig, a dozen chickens, a bird, and fish. He may have more that I forgot to count, he has also had goats in the past. His family truely loves animals. He was behind on the rabies shots on a few animals. A neighbor called several times because the dog barked when they rode the hore past his place. The police made several visits. The neighor kept on calling, and the last time they checked and took some dogs because their shots were not up to date. Since that, they ended up finding more dogs so they have plenty again. All his animals are sweet too. I stay away from the rats, I hate rats, no matter how sweet they are.

I would say that we have more pets than most because we are at home. I've worked at home for years, and prior to hs'ing I had quite a collection. Most of us have more than one child too! LOL Perhaps it is a personality thing. :)

4 dogs inside, 1 dog halfin/halfout, 1 cat, 1 bunny - sea monkeys in a box still with the butterflies!

We have:

2 dogs

5 hamsters

2 guinea pigs

50 gallon fish tank--I think we have a dozen or so fish.

Our hermit crab died a month or so ago, and we had a lizard that died a couple of months ago.

We also have a huge black widow that lives in the window well in the basement playroom, but I refuse to acknowledge it as a pet, even though they've named it after the spider in Lord of the Rings.

my dd is planning on being a vet :lol:

You don't JUST have pets: you have early career training! :D

We also have a dd who has expressed interest in veterinary medicine (and lots of practice subjects!).

a dog

a cockatiel

a parakeet

2 rabbits

3 dairy goats

4 alpacas

9 guinea fowl

4 roosters

45 hens (most are layers, but some are pets)

Right now, we have a large saltwater aquarium, I think it's like 90 gallons and it's home to a bunch of coral and various saltwater fish.

We have two betta fish, in separate containers. One my daughter picked out after a "Petco Animal Responsibility Tour" and the other my husband's friend, who works at a small pet shop, randomly gave us.

We have two turtles (river cooter and PA cooter) which used to be no bigger than quarters and are now probably about the size of the palm of my hand.

We have a parakeet.

And we have a gecko.

Right now we just have one dog. That's about all I can handle at the moment. We have, in the past had as many as 7 at one time.

Our past pets have been:

2 leopard geckos (hey, we also have two wild ones that live on our back porch right now, does that count?)

4 guinea pigs

1 rabbit

2 rats :ack2:

2 dogs (at the same time, we've had several over the years...we have a knack for dogs dying on us)

several hamsters

and a ferret :ack2:

If we ever get a house with a little land, I'm sure we'll have chickens, goats, etc..lol.

We have no pets. None.

We used to have a snail and a beta fish once. But when they died we never replaced them.

This is me. I don't do pet hair. We have a beautiful fantail goldfish in a 20 gallon tank.

I ran into an old aquaintance (you know the kind that knows everything) So we got to talking about homeschooling (I try to aviod it at all costs with this person) and he made a comment that I really had a hard time not laughing at. He said "So why is it all homeschoolers have way to many pets?" Now, yes, for US that is true (Life Science anybody??:001_smile:) But he has no way of knowing that as we are strictly aquaintances from a friend of a friend that saw him at a few homeschool playdays. (but one that always has to stop and have HUGE conversations) So I am asking you. Do you have alot of pets?

We have a menagerie of pets-- I mean life science exhibits:D. We have 2 lizards, a bearded dragon and a double crested green basilisk. We have 2 guinea pigs-- I was over ruled on those by dh:001_huh:. My son has a salamander and a frog that he found in our garage last summer. He also has an outside cat. 3 dogs, a pug (my baby:)) a golden retriever and a bull mastiff. Sea monkeys.

Sop glad we dont have allergies and my dd is planning on being a vet :lol:

All of a sudden...once again...too many.

One dog, one cat, one bunny, one guinea pig, one box turtle, and we will be pet sitting dd's bunny and bearded dragon for the next few weeks.

lotsa cages and poop

We don't have room for a lot of pets, but we share 900 sq feet with 2 adults, 3 kids, 1 guinea pig and 2 dogs. So, I think for the area we have available, we have a lot of pets.

We're in a similar boat...1200 square feet with 2 adults, 4 kids, a 55 lb dog, and 4 cats. We used to have 2 dogs and 5 cats but we are slowly downsizing. The cats think we have an overcrowding issue.

We have no pets. None.

We used to have a snail and a beta fish once. But when they died we never replaced them.

Hey, us too :lol: I love animals, but DH is allergic and we like the freedom of not having to be tied to the house, so we have none.

I could see many HSers having lots of pets simply because our more flexible lifestyles allow for it!

a one eyed horse, a pony, three potbelly pigs, two HUGE pigs, 4 llamas, 5 ducks, one that camps out on our deck and taps the window for attention, 1 bamtam rooster (will add 3 bantam hens soon) 3 ferrets, 2 guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 mice, 5 doves, 2 cockatiels. I think that covers it.

That makes a grand total of 37 animals.

My dh and I grew up without pets, and we didn't want that for our kids. We got our first cat the first year we were married....welll before we began hsing. We didn't even have our first child until we were married for over 5 years.

We live in the country...with a barn. What's the point of that without animals? :)

Edited by LibraryLover

We have no pets. None.

this is THE misconception that bothers me. I think most people automatically assume that with as many animals as we have that our house probably isn't clean. BUT, it's SPOTLESS when we have people over. If I want it spotless all the time, I just have to vacuum twice per day instead of once.

The kids are the ones that make the house dirty. ;)