Menu

Guest Flowergarden129

Guest Flowergarden129

Does anybody know of an academically rigorous secular biology course that includes a lab component? My dd is aiming for highly selective (secular) colleges, and we are having a terrible time finding an adequate biology course. I am considering having her do PA Homeschoolers AP biology, since she had a very strong middle school biology course (in public school). For various reasons community college isn't an option, and she would prefer not to just read a textbook (she's very social, and an auditory learner--also very bright).

Carolina Biological sells official AP Bio lab kits that you could use with whatever text you like (Campbell & Reece is probably the gold standard for AP Bio texts). The kits are expensive, though. You could also just buy the lab book for whatever textbook you choose and piece them together yourself. Froguts has several virtual dissections, as well as virtual genetics labs (peas and fruit flies), and it's cheap ($30/yr).

Jackie

Does anybody know of an academically rigorous secular biology course that includes a lab component? My dd is aiming for highly selective (secular) colleges, and we are having a terrible time finding an adequate biology course. I am considering having her do PA Homeschoolers AP biology, since she had a very strong middle school biology course (in public school). For various reasons community college isn't an option, and she would prefer not to just read a textbook (she's very social, and an auditory learner--also very bright).

Have you considered one of the other online biology courses?

OU's online high school course uses Holt

http://ouhigh.ou.edu/highschoolcourse.cfm?said=6&cid=343&ciid=9661#detail

You could always add on extra labs, if needed.

I just bought a decent college level bio text and purchased the digital frog pak . It has a whole "standard biology" component that downloads to your computer, dissections that you do on the computer, and then written lab dissections that you then individually download off of the CD (unless they've changed it) to put in a lab book.

We used "Exploring The Way Life Works" by Hoagland (the academic one, not the popular press one) and my kid knows his eco bio backwards and forwards. He will be getting his bio chem in his chem class.

a

I just bought a decent college level bio text and purchased the digital frog pak . It has a whole "standard biology" component that downloads to your computer, dissections that you do on the computer, and then written lab dissections that you then individually download off of the CD (unless they've changed it) to put in a lab book.

We used "Exploring The Way Life Works" by Hoagland (the academic one, not the popular press one) and my kid knows his eco bio backwards and forwards. He will be getting his bio chem in his chem class.

a

Thanks, for posting the Exploring The Way Life Works as another secular biology option. Can you check to see if ISBN-13: 9780763716882, is the correct edition of the text? I want to make sure I purchase the correct edition.

TIA

Edited by Carmen_and_Company

Thanks, for posting the Exploring The Way Life Works as another secular biology option. Can you check to see if ISBN-13: 9780763716882, is the correct edition of the text? I want to make sure I purchase the correct edition.

TIA

No.

ISBN # 0-7637-1688-x (softcover, alk. paper) c. 2001

I bought mine from the publisher, actually. I imagine you could get the same one from one of those used college text places (as opposed to the standard Amazon used section).

a

No.

ISBN # 0-7637-1688-x (softcover, alk. paper) c. 2001

I bought mine from the publisher, actually. I imagine you could get the same one from one of those used college text places (as opposed to the standard Amazon used section).

This is the same book ~ Carmen posted the ISBN-13 and Asta posted the ISBN-10. It's available on Amazon; used copies start at a couple of dollars. :001_smile:

Jackie

This is the same book ~ Carmen posted the ISBN-13 and Asta posted the ISBN-10. It's available on Amazon; used copies start at a couple of dollars. :001_smile:

Jackie

Thanks Jackie - mine didn't have the 13 on it to compare, and it didn't occur to me to check it against the Amazon link (which shows both). At the time I bought it, this version was only available from the publisher.

Good info.

a

Thanks Jackie - mine didn't have the 13 on it to compare, and it didn't occur to me to check it against the Amazon link (which shows both). At the time I bought it, this version was only available from the publisher.

Just curious - how is this version different from the trade paperback? I have the latter and my kids are reading/outlining it as a supplement to doing CPO Life Science.

Just curious - how is this version different from the trade paperback? I have the latter and my kids are reading/outlining it as a supplement to doing CPO Life Science.

Exploring the Way Life Works is a slightly beefed up version of The Way Life Works, designed to be used as a CC/Jr College-level bio-for-nonmajors text. Much of the text and illustrations are the same, they just added some higher level material to match the course standards. I naively bought both before I realized they were almost identical.

Jackie