Menu

Math Question

My daughter will be entering 8th grade in the fall. Background: She went to ps for K-2 and we've been homeschooling since then. We started with Saxon in 3rd grade and thought it was just awful. She literally would cry when it came time to do math. We switched to MUS in the spring of her third grade year and have been using it ever since. She's not a math-lover, by any means, but she does well with it and has scored pretty well on her testing each year. If I had to, I would say she is a low A student in math. Most of her mistakes are simply because she didn't pay attention to details, not that she doesn't know how to do the computations. She has completed MUS Pre-Algebra this year. She has also completed LoF Decimals, Fractions and the first 5 chapters of Beginning Algebra over the past year and a half.

Looking forward: my initial thought is "why try to fix something if it's not broken?" So, I was planning to continue with MUS. My plan for high school is something like this: (Algebra I in 8th grade, Geometry in 9th grade, Algebra II in 10th grade, Algebra III/Trig in 11th and Pre-Calc. in 12th). She does not know what field of study she's interested in and while I doubt that it would be math or science related, I don't want to burn any bridges for her by not having her take the proper math courses. Given this information, would you continue with MUS while supplementing with LoF or would you look at a different math program? If you suggest a different program, what would you suggest and when would you start it? I have not purchased MUS Algebra I yet (was planning to get it at our homeschool conference at the end of May). So, it's not too late to look at other options for next year. She does like the DVD aspect of MUS (she watches Mr. Demme). I am not a super strong math person, but my husband is. So, I do prefer a dvd or online method of teaching the lesson, but my husband can always give her some help/tutorial in the evenings.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

You have her doing 2 years of Pre-Calc.

Pre-Calc consists of College Algebra (Algebra 3) and Trig... one semester of each.

If she will require Calculus and does well with Pre-Calc then she can do that her 12th grade year... if she is using MUS for Pre-Calc and will need more Math in college then she might consider another year of 'Advanced Math'--meaning a 2nd year of Pre-Calc using a more traditional text. If she will not need college Calc then she can do a Consumer/Business Math program her Sr year.