Menu

CLE Math vs. Singapore: Can someone compare?

Does anyone have experience with both programs that could give me a comparitive review of both? I have used Singpore with ds8 for 2 years now. It just doesn't seem to have enough review built-in. But we keep plugging away and I supplement with worksheets from the internet on concepts he doesn't get right away. Then I saw CLE and I thought, "wow, this looks great!". Now I am thinking of CLE for all my kids next year (except dd13 and ds12). Any reviews? Thanks!

Well since you already have Singapore math you already know what the program entails.

Christian Light math is an incremental and spiral math program. There is plenty of built in review in the program as well as drill (located in the back of the Light Units).

Basically it teaches concepts a little bit at a time and builds on it. The one thing I am happy with is that it reviews and reviews. Meaning if your child didn't get it that first time around they will eventually get it and they will say to themselves " Oh , now I get it." Unlikes mastery math programs where if you don't get it the first time around well then your just out of luck.

The word problems in CLE math aren't as beefy looking as Singapore but that doesn't mean they aren't as challenging ( a common misperception by many). Christian Light uses real world everyday things that happen types of problems. This is to help the children to achieve something. Doesn't mean they are all easy. It means its builds on itself so by the time they are in the upper level math they can confidently solve a word problem that is more complex.

If you liked what you saw then it should work well for you. I know the first time I saw CLE math I really liked it a lot too. I do like it and if I can ever get back to homeschooling on my own CLE will be the math we go back to.

I switched my 1st grader from Singapore to CLE this year. It was a wonderful move for her. She needs the spiral review she is getting now. Having said that, if Singapore had more review I would have loved to stick with it. I am just not crazy about the way CLE teaches concepts w/o teaching why. For example, why do we add the ones column first in double digit addition. Not a huge deal -I just taught her why. But it makes me a little worried about explaining why we do some things in the future when I honestly don't know. A mom who is more adept at math than me would not see this as a problem. I may end up looking for something with the why's a little more built in - like Singapore. I am thinking hard about MM right now. I hate to switch when CLE is working so well with dd so for now I am supplementing with MM.

I do think CLE is a good program but when I compare it to Singapore I really do appreciate the way SM helps *me* teach new concepts. I maybe need a program like SM more than my kids. I have learned so much from the 1st and 2nd grade books. How crazy is that?:tongue_smilie: That is the only downside I see to CLE. It is EASY to use, lots of review(very needed here), has built in drill and is fairly inexpensive.

After using Horizons with Singapore for 1st, we use CLE 2 and love it. At first I thought it doesn't have enough mental math or strategies but as I go through the TM , I see it does. I still like to use Math U see dvd's to cement some concepts and we also use Singapore now and then as a supplement. But CLE is a complete math program and it does not need anything . I do like to illustrate concepts with base ten blocks and for a younger student (1st) I like to use the abacus .

CLE is the best math program for us. My son is a left brainer and this sort of program works best for him.

Singapore:

Pros:

Puzzle aspect

Short lessons

A lot of mental math

Colorful

Cons:

A lot of mental math (horrible for a non-math person)

In the older ages, I (let alone the kids) couldn't understand the

explanations in the text/TE and had to go to other sources to

understand concepts

It was difficult for my children to know when to start and stop in the text.

It jumped around too much. Just when they started to understand

something like multiplication but before they were solid on it, it moved

on to something else.

We had to find alternatives for review and drill work

Would move from concept to concept too fast

CLE:

Pros:

Textbook/workbook are together

Easy to understand - the child can read and learn many concept

independantly

Incremental

Drill work is built in

Reviews a lot

Great/easy to use TE

Cons:

Pretty long lessons

Not colorful

Can be too slow if you have an extrememly math minded child, but you

can skip lessons or move faster - I'd rather have too much than too

little.

Over all, CLE has worked better for my children.

Singapore:

Pros:

Puzzle aspect

Short lessons

A lot of mental math

Colorful

Cons:

A lot of mental math (horrible for a non-math person)

In the older ages, I (let alone the kids) couldn't understand the

explanations in the text/TE and had to go to other sources to

understand concepts

It was difficult for my children to know when to start and stop in the text.

It jumped around too much. Just when they started to understand

something like multiplication but before they were solid on it, it moved

on to something else.

We had to find alternatives for review and drill work

Would move from concept to concept too fast

CLE:

Pros:

Textbook/workbook are together

Easy to understand - the child can read and learn many concept

independantly

Incremental

Drill work is built in

Reviews a lot

Great/easy to use TE

Cons:

Pretty long lessons

Not colorful

Can be too slow if you have an extrememly math minded child, but you

can skip lessons or move faster - I'd rather have too much than too

little.

Over all, CLE has worked better for my children.

:iagree:

Excellent analysis!

• 3 years later...

We are going with Saxon 5/4 this year.  We skipped the previous Saxon math because our son is coming from Singapore Math and knows his stuff (I"m teaching the Math, he knows how to do a basic Algebra equation, understands a bit about percentages and fractions and can multiply double digit or greater numbers).  :)

Singapore Math is just too dry.  What I feel has happened is that the English version for the homeschool classroom s a literal translation of the Singapore version for a classroom full of students.  It just doesn't translate well.  My son, while executing the math well, and remembering much of it without needing refreshing, just isn't finding Singapore Math fun.  

I've used both. It really depends on the student.

I agree with the above pros/ cons. I teach concepts the "Singapore" way regardless, although I do see some of it in CLE. Singapore is good for my logical, deep, math-minded kiddo, and CLE works great for my tutoring students. They love the clear stopping places, mix of topics and accomplishment of finishing a book. That said, I do dig out my Singapore textbooks and ten blocks to teach concepts. I also use CLE's Math Skills Development booklets for tutoring. Great for older kids who need one more quick spin through PreA topics before Algebra.

You could order just a few of the books to give it a spin. They're cheap.

My oldest has used Singapore 4 and 5 and currently uses CLE 500 as "math practice" (takes him about 10-15 minutes to do a lesson and keep elementary math fresh in his mind... his main math is AoPS Prealgebra). My middle son has used Singapore Essentials and 1 and currently uses CLE 200 and Beast Academy 3B. Both kids are "mathy". I initially switched middle kid to CLE because we got to the end of a unit about money, and he still had no clue what the coins were. :lol: It was obvious that he was going to forget things like that as soon as we left the topic (after all, he forgot it while still IN the topic!). He also was needing more fact practice, and I like that CLE has it built in. I naturally think the Singapore way, so it's easy for me to add that teaching to any program we use. CLE is not as conceptual as Singapore, though the early grades do explain the "why". It's more subtle. I hear that grade 3 or 4 starts to get much less conceptual. I just haven't worried about that much because I'm still teaching, and I'm using other programs that are highly conceptual (BA/AoPS).

My oldest finds CLE 500 easy, but again, I'm using it below his working level, so it should be easy. ;) It's been good practice/review for him, and he hardly ever makes silly calculation errors because of it.

My middle son liked CLE for a while, but now in 207, I think he's finding it a bit slow/boring. We've dropped the flash cards, as he has the facts memorized well. The multiplication facts worked on at this level are easy to memorize (2s, 5s, and 10s), so we haven't used those either. We do use the speed drills, and he's pretty strong in his facts now. He rarely makes silly calculation errors. I like the spiral for him, as he needs the constant review, plus doing a gazillion problems of the same type drives him nuts. But the introduction of one small piece per lesson is getting to be a bit boring. I may need to start compacting and accelerating a bit. We also use Beast Academy at a slow pace, and he likes that quite a bit. I'm not quite ready to make BA his main program, but that may happen at some point. I still like having that spiral review of CLE though, and I like that there is plenty of space on the pages and few problems on the pages (though it is several pages for a lesson).

My youngest (about to turn 5) is using CLE 100 right now. He just finished 102 yesterday. He really likes it so far. He works through it mostly independently (that's his nature), and I give him manipulatives to use to work his addition/subtraction facts that he is learning. He seems to be easily grasping place value, despite me adding nothing to it. I haven't yet decided if he'll continue in CLE 200 when the time comes. I think it will get too slow for him also. When he's ready for BA, he'll switch to that also.

I have used Singpore with ds8 for 2 years now. It just doesn't seem to have enough review built-in. But we keep plugging away and I supplement with worksheets from the internet on concepts he doesn't get right away.

There are a few ways to deal with the review issue.  If you are using the standards edition, you can take the reviews after each chapter and break them up into daily chunks.  You can also get the extra practice book and run it behind the main text by a semester.