Menu

Transcripts without HST and the like?

Does anyone NOT use a program such as HST, but still have a way to easily print transcripts? I bought HST but it just seems so incredibly involved and time-consuming. All I want is a way to print high school transcripts, and report cards might be fun. But I am spending HOURS inputting our curriculum lessons into HST. I'm longing for my good old Excel spreadsheet!

But I am spending HOURS inputting our curriculum lessons into HST. I'm longing for my good old Excel spreadsheet!

I don't have time to go into details, but you can get a transcript from HST without putting in all of the lesson plans. Essentially, if you know your student's final grade for a class, just make it so that there was one assignment for that class, and give it that grade.

For my oldest I just used a simple format I found on the internet. This year we've been using homeskedtracker which is a free online scheduling/transcript/grades type of program (like HST, but free and easier to use, IMO). You can see it at: http://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com

I used homeschoolskedtrak this past year, and liked it, but I figured if I was going to input the lesson plans, I at least wanted to be able to print out a weekly assignment schedule for the kids, rather than a daily one. They like to look ahead at the week, and understand what they have going on, as well as pulling some things in to do early if they feel like it.

I thought HST was going to be perfect, but the set-up is really taking forever. And I even love to plan! I think I'm going to look into just using the transcript/grade part of HST for next year, and see if I like that. I bought it early so I'd have a couple of years to play with it before high school, and I'm glad I did.

We do a weekly schedule and just check off what we've done. It is hand-written. Then I just use a word-processing program and set tabs for making a transcript. Using different fonts and sizes allows for headings. I skip vertical lines, and just make good use of the underline function for horizontal lines to separate the heading material (name, address, gender, graduation year, etc.) from the 4 years of academic work, and then the material I put at the bottom of the transcript (grade scale; SAT/ACT scores; etc.). Check out the samples at the HSLDA website.

We live in a very unregulated state, and I am not the kind of personality that is good at keeping up with regularly entering items in software, so this works for me. ;) BEST of luck in finding what works for you! Warmly, Lori D.

http://shadesofwhite.typepad.com/shades_of_white/2007/07/high-school-tra.html

I've never had any problems with this transcript and college applications, and my blog is hit daily by many folks downloading my transcript and my diploma--there is even a website on "how to make a transcript" that links to my blog. LOL!

HTH,

Jean

I have used it with 3 of mine so far with no trouble :D

Edited by Quiver0f10

http://shadesofwhite.typepad.com/shades_of_white/2007/07/high-school-tra.html

I've never had any problems with this transcript and college applications, and my blog is hit daily by many folks downloading my transcript and my diploma--there is even a website on "how to make a transcript" that links to my blog. LOL!

HTH,

Jean

Jean,

Thanks so much! I saved the file for reference. The whole transcript thing was much scarier in my mind.... :tongue_smilie: Overall, doing my lesson plans in a spreadsheet like I've done for years, and then making my own transcript seems so much less complicated and time-consuming. Thanks for the confidence-booster.

We do a weekly schedule and just check off what we've done. It is hand-written. Then I just use a word-processing program and set tabs for making a transcript. Using different fonts and sizes allows for headings. I skip vertical lines, and just make good use of the underline function for horizontal lines to separate the heading material (name, address, gender, graduation year, etc.) from the 4 years of academic work, and then the material I put at the bottom of the transcript (grade scale; SAT/ACT scores; etc.). Check out the samples at the HSLDA website.

We live in a very unregulated state, and I am not the kind of personality that is good at keeping up with regularly entering items in software, so this works for me. ;) BEST of luck in finding what works for you! Warmly, Lori D.

Lori,

Thanks for that link. It looks like it is not as complicated as I thought to make my own transcript. Arizona is very unregulated as well, but I was worried about university acceptance. I feel better now! :D