Menu

Another LoF question

I own but have not used the Pre-Algebra book (hey, why pay for shipping when it nearly pays for a book we'll use eventually anyway...). Just from glancing at the introduction, I can tell you that the author is at least Christian leaning (book is dedicated to the greater glory of God, mentions sermons) and that he says he doesn't mention Evolution. I can't go any further in depth because I haven't made it past the introduction yet :D

I own but have not used the Pre-Algebra book (hey, why pay for shipping when it nearly pays for a book we'll use eventually anyway...). Just from glancing at the introduction, I can tell you that the author is at least Christian leaning (book is dedicated to the greater glory of God, mentions sermons) and that he says he doesn't mention Evolution. I can't go any further in depth because I haven't made it past the introduction yet :D

I agree with you about paying for shipping! I hate paying for shipping-- that is more curriculum I could be buying :D Thank you! Christian POV is what we are looking for!!

Anybody know how the tie in from pre-algebra and biology fit together?

This is mostly from something I posted previously:

The math is mostly review from the first two books (which, if you haven't used them are not solely about fractions, decimals, and percents) -- I think Schmidt said 80% review, 20% new material. Students start solving simple equations, and there's a gentle introduction to d=rt type problems (though I still prefer Singapore's triangles for these). The science is good, though a bit uneven in terms of detail and challenge (compare the bare bones coverage of bones :tongue_smilie: to the more considerable detail about genetics and mutations), but that's OK for us because we're not using it as a science text.

As far as secular or neutral, well, it's science. :) Evolution doesn't come into play, but it's not a comprehensive biology text. However, there's much talk of genetics and mutations, and it's certainly compatible with a secular viewpoint.

This is mostly from something I posted previously:

The math is mostly review from the first two books (which, if you haven't used them are not solely about fractions, decimals, and percents) -- I think Schmidt said 80% review, 20% new material. Students start solving simple equations, and there's a gentle introduction to d=rt type problems (though I still prefer Singapore's triangles for these).

Would you recommend it? Or do you think it is a bit redundant?

I wouldn't call it redundant. Either a child is ready to go on to algebra or not. For those that aren't, based on this first volume (of a projected three), I'd heartily recommend LoF: Pre-algebra.

We're almost at the end of it, and we've loved it. Fred meanders through a day thinking alternatively of math topics and biology topics (and a little bit of economics too). You sometimes use math to resolve biology riddles.

My son and I have enjoyed the biology topics as well as the story line behind the topics. I would say the genetics discussions have interested him the most. You also learn to balance chemical equations (both a math and a science skill). My son loved that.

The author is definitely a Christian; and while the book is not a "Christian book," the author's world view peeks through. For example, when Fred is in a life threatening situation, he thinks, "I'm ready. I'm glad I paid attention in Sunday school."

This is our 3rd LOF book. LOF is one of the most successful curriculum choices in our homeschool. We will definitely be continuing the series.

I don't think it's redundant at all. The three books do cover the topics of fractions/decimals/percents, but then so do 4th/5th/6th/7th grade textbooks, KWIM? The stories are different and the problems are different, plus there's a fair amount of biology in the Pre-Algebra book, so they each add different things. And there's no such thing as "too much Fred." :D

Jackie

For those that aren't, based on this first volume (of a projected three), I'd heartily recommend LoF: Pre-algebra.

So, there are going to be three pre-algebra books?? Did I understand that correctly? What is an average amount of time it takes to complete a book?

We're almost at the end of it, and we've loved it. Fred meanders through a day thinking alternatively of math topics and biology topics (and a little bit of economics too). You sometimes use math to resolve biology riddles.

My son and I have enjoyed the biology topics as well as the story line behind the topics. I would say the genetics discussions have interested him the most. You also learn to balance chemical equations (both a math and a science skill). My son loved that.

The author is definitely a Christian; and while the book is not a "Christian book," the author's world view peeks through. For example, when Fred is in a life threatening situation, he thinks, "I'm ready. I'm glad I paid attention in Sunday school."

This is our 3rd LOF book. LOF is one of the most successful curriculum choices in our homeschool. We will definitely be continuing the series.

I don't think it's redundant at all. The three books do cover the topics of fractions/decimals/percents, but then so do 4th/5th/6th/7th grade textbooks, KWIM? The stories are different and the problems are different, plus there's a fair amount of biology in the Pre-Algebra book, so they each add different things. And there's no such thing as "too much Fred." :D

Jackie

So would you recommend this the summer before doing pre-algebra? (we do LoF as summer math, atleast until it gets to be too much.) Would it work well with another curriculum?

So, there are going to be three pre-algebra books?? Did I understand that correctly? What is an average amount of time it takes to complete a book?
There are 45 chapters plus 6 Bridges. That's 45 days of lessons, plus however many Bridges you require -- we do 2 at not more than 1 error. Even if you do all the Bridges, that only 30 more days, so 51 days minimum and 75 days max.... that translates to 3-4 months for 5 days a week, a bit more for 4.

The other two books will be w/Economics and w/Physics.

I believe the other two are going to be on Physics and Economics. As for how long it takes, that can vary a lot depending on how you use it. There are 46 (very short) chapters and about 260 pages. You could do a chapter or so/day for a couple of months, or you could stretch it out over 4 or 5 months by adding additional worksheets, having them do all of the "bridges," etc.

DS has done Fractions & Decimals already and is currently doing Pre-Algebra, but I'm also having him do pages from MM6 (which just came out) as well as assignments in KB Pre-Algebra, so I imagine he'll be through it by the end of the summer, if not sooner. I think Fred is a great summer math program, because it hardly feels like "work."

Fred is pretty flexible. :001_smile:

Jackie

The next LOF pre-algebra book is due out this summer!

Here's what he told me:

...I continued working on editing the final draft of the manuscript of the second pre-algebra book. After I finish reading it, or rather re-reading it, I'll give it off to at least two proofreaders, and then to the printers.

Publication should be an early summer.

Hooray!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Does anyone know if all 3 Pre-Algebra books will be used consecutively (like a trilogy) for Pre-Algebra or if just 1 of them will be a full Pre-Algebra course with the different books allowing the student to choose what else they want to study with Pre-Algebra?

Does anyone know if all 3 Pre-Algebra books will be used consecutively (like a trilogy) for Pre-Algebra or if just 1 of them will be a full Pre-Algebra course with the different books allowing the student to choose what else they want to study with Pre-Algebra?

Yeah - good question!:001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
i think, like with most textbooks, pre-algebra is optional. just do as much as you need. that said, the LoF with bio is pre-algebra 1, with economics will be pre-algebra 2 and with physics will be pre-algebra 3.

Thanks:001_smile: So you do as many as the student needs/wants? Do you know if each would be a stand along book (pick which one(s) you like) or if they would have to be done in order (in order to get to 3 you'd have to finish 1 and 2)?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I emailed the author and he told me that Pre-Algebra 1 and the Pre-Algebra 2 that is due out in a couple of months (which puts special emphasis on solving word problems, often the most difficult part of Beginning Algebra) will constitute Pre-Algebra preparation before starting Beginning Algebra. He suggested that my boys start with Pre-Algebra 1 and 2 even though they are almost finished with MUS Algebra 1.

When I asked about Pre-Algebra 3 he said that since so many moms had asked about stuff before fractions that seemed more pressing than Pre-Algebra 3. Since I have 3 children who are 6 and younger that makes me very :001_smile:

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

When I asked about Pre-Algebra 3 he said that since so many moms had asked about stuff before fractions that seemed more pressing than Pre-Algebra 3. Since I have 3 children who are 6 and younger that makes me very :001_smile:

Oooh...this makes me very :001_smile: too.