Menu

Confused... Language Arts ?

Ive been searching LA programs.. Im a little confused.. Isnt there any complete progrms that cover all aspects - grammar,writing , reading etc..

wouldnt it be more time consuming to have to do individual lessons for each subtopic of LA??

Looking for 5th grade level.

Any info would be helpful.. Thanks :)

The LA curriculum rage of 2010 seems to be Michael Clay Thompson's LA series. After hearing him speak at the Cincinnati convention, I jumped on board and have been IMPRESSED!

It's published by Royal Fireworks Press. You don't need any more than the basic LA package through the elementary years, because the TM is the same as the student book, just with teacher pages added at the back. I do ours with one child on either side of me, and it works just fine.

Just fyi, I also looked closely at LLATL, and decided it wasn't for us. But MCT LA has been everything everyone said it would be. Do a search on this forum and check out what everyone has to say about it.

Hope that helps! :001_smile:

wouldnt it be more time consuming to have to do individual lessons for each subtopic of LA??

Not necessarily. It seems like a lot of the complete LA package materials include a fair amount of fluff that I don't want to have to deal with -- busy work that just doesn't accomplish much. I think selecting a couple of really focused programs might actually end up saving time.

Then again, maybe that's just me! :) We're already getting a lot of grammar through our Latin studies. And I love the literature recommendations in The Latin Centered Curriculum. So all I'm really looking for in an English program is good writing instruction. Maybe you're not as picky as I am. :D

Thanks so much ! I guess its just hard to know when its going in your first year of HS'ing. So Im trying to choose things that will make a smooth transition from PS. I Liked the looks of LLATL . Im thinking the only way to know is just research , choose and jump in ;) (For me at least) I figure we can always adjust and switch it up and add what ever we need to make it better!

_ Greta.. Im sure after my first year it will be much easier to put together curriculum and lessons time wise.. Ill have a better understanding! at least I hope so!! ;)