Menu

SAT 2 math review-help needed from math experts!

My ds, who is normally pretty good at math, si reviewing for the SAT 2 in Math 2. One of the first problems in the College Board review book is completely unrecognizeable to me: it'e number 16 on page 106, if you have the book. It's under the "Number and Operations" section and is about choosing 2 out of a group of 6 and 4 out of a group of 8. The solution has a notation I don't recognize that looks like a fraction without the line between the numbers, enclosed in parentheses. Ds says it's "six choose two".

Where would I find a resource for reviewing this kind of math?

My ds, who is normally pretty good at math, si reviewing for the SAT 2 in Math 2. One of the first problems in the College Board review book is completely unrecognizeable to me: it'e number 16 on page 106, if you have the book. It's under the "Number and Operations" section and is about choosing 2 out of a group of 6 and 4 out of a group of 8. The solution has a notation I don't recognize that looks like a fraction without the line between the numbers, enclosed in parentheses. Ds says it's "six choose two".

Where would I find a resource for reviewing this kind of math?

The same notation that you are referring to can be written as C(n.r) or specifically C(6,2) and C(8, 4) for ease of typing (which is accepted method of representation in many textbooks)

C(n.r) means number of distinct combination (or groups) possible when each group contains r things out of n things. Please feel free to write back if you need detail answer. But in short,

C(6,2) = 6!/[2!(6-2)!] = 15

C(8,4) = 8!/[4!(8-4)!] = 70

Thus, total ways = 15 x 70 = 1050

The topic to look for further information on notation is "Permutation and combination from pre-calculus" . We are currently registering students for online class for Pre-Calculus at our website. Sample of topic/chapter wise DVDs may also be available. Please send your request if you are interested.

Best regards.

MPCTutor

www.mpclasses.com

Contact for Additional Info

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP Calculus, AP Physics, Singapore Math Grades 7-12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Central Time: 11:06 AM 5/7/2010