Menu

WWYD? Rising 5th grader and PR (go through quickly or...?)

So, here is my dilemna. My rising 5th grader has average spelling. He used SWO and LLATL for the past couple years and was in ps this year where he was just given random lists of words. His spelling hasn't improved much...he just memorizes for the tests but doesn't really "use" the words in his writing, kwim? I have PR and can take him through it quickly this summer, hoping to get him up to Level 3 by Sept. OR, I could just use the "How to Teach Any Child to Spell" book I bought for him to use this year along with the ps lists he has. WWYD? Then there is my rising 7th gr. who has atrocious spelling. Is he too old to use PR...even to go through quickly? Even as a "remedial" program? Or, sould I just use How to Teach...with him, too? Advice? Tina?

So, here is my dilemna. My rising 5th grader has average spelling. He used SWO and LLATL for the past couple years and was in ps this year where he was just given random lists of words. His spelling hasn't improved much...he just memorizes for the tests but doesn't really "use" the words in his writing, kwim? I have PR and can take him through it quickly this summer, hoping to get him up to Level 3 by Sept. OR, I could just use the "How to Teach Any Child to Spell" book I bought for him to use this year along with the ps lists he has. WWYD? Then there is my rising 7th gr. who has atrocious spelling. Is he too old to use PR...even to go through quickly? Even as a "remedial" program? Or, sould I just use How to Teach...with him, too? Advice? Tina?

If you want to use PR, just start in PR3. The beginning is a total review of all previous words. Does he know the markings? If not, you could teach them first (2 weeks no problem), then move on.

You can also use your How to Teach...with both dc. I don't know the program, but if it looks doable to you and you think dc will be receptive, then why not?

How To Teach Spelling... is a program that uses the words that a child misspells on his/her writing assignments and help them classify them by "rules" and put them in a notebook. I like it, but it is obviously not as thorough as PR. Thanks, Tina. I will look into purchasing PR3 since I will need it anyway. And no, ds10 has had no experience with PR at all so he doesn't know anything about markings. I could go over them with him this summer. So PR3 begins with a review? That will be good.

I have not looked at that one. I think I will pass b/c if I see it and like it, I'll end up spending money I do not have! :tongue_smilie: See, we already use PR for my youngers and will eventually use level 3 so I can justify spending the $$. But, can't justify yet another expensive curriculum no matter HOW good it is! Thanks for the suggestion, though.

How To Teach Spelling... is a program that uses the words that a child misspells on his/her writing assignments and help them classify them by "rules" and put them in a notebook. I like it, but it is obviously not as thorough as PR. Thanks, Tina. I will look into purchasing PR3 since I will need it anyway. And no, ds10 has had no experience with PR at all so he doesn't know anything about markings. I could go over them with him this summer. So PR3 begins with a review? That will be good.

Sure does. :001_smile: Here's a money saving idea. Have him create a notebook, in the same idea of How to Teach...only use the Rules from PR and the wordlist. You are then accomplishing both, but with only one program....and return the How To Teach ;)