Menu

Rigorous math users - my math plan for all my dc has to be scratched. HELP

Okay, just when I thought we were done planning for next year...we've changed almost everything except math...my dd, who wants to be a vet, comes to me this evening and says she would like to talk about doing a different math curriculum or something in addition to her current one. (I just posted on another thread that we don't supplement our math!!!!!!:blink:)

So, she got to talk to a zoologist recently and has been looking on the internet about what high school courses should be taken for someone wanting to be a vet. SHE doesn't think MUS is going to get her where she wants to be. I ask her why she thinks that and she said because it's too easy for her.

So, I do a search for rigorous math programs and I see Singapore, Horizons, Math Mammoth, and Right Start seem to be the most popular "rigorous" programs. I go to these sites to get a feel for them, then I looked at the placement tests for each one and now I feel sick to my stomach. The S'pore 7th placement was the worse one as far as being the farthest from where she is now (but should be). She just finished MUS Zeta and is working on Epsilon and would have probably been ready for pre-alg. half way into next year. BUT, I was shocked at how many concepts there were that we haven't even covered! I know MUS is mastery and I've read\heard that by 12th grade it all gets covered but now I am beginning to wonder...WHEN does it get covered if it hasn't already? (I am not bashing MUS by the way, it just turns out that it isn't the path WE need to take.) All this to say...HELP!

I talked to dh about this and he (for once, because he saw the panic in my eyes) looked at the other programs and looked at the MUS site with me and made an executive decision that we need to switch to something else. He asked that I gather info about 3 or 4 of what is considered to be the best and then he will help me make a decision. I mentioned to him that we wouldn't be doing this right now if a year ago he had NOT trusted me to make the right choice about a subject I'm far inferior to him in. (That's another post:tongue_smilie:)

I'm not really worried about my youngest (going into 2nd) because even if I start her in a 1st grade level we can catch up. I am worried about my second (going into 6th) because she hates math and is visual-hands on and is already behind in "grade level" but I feel I may be selling her short (can't think of a better term) if I always give her the easy math programs. Then of coarse my oldest (going into 7th) doesn't have much more catch up time especially if she wants to take as much higher level math as she can. I just feel really bad that I haven't steered her in the direction she needs to go and because of me not researching enough at the beginning of last year I have put her behind. If I could literally kick myself in the rear I would! You know how long I've spent researching writing and grammar? Why oh why did I not give math more thought?

Could you please help me? These are things that I have to take into consideration.

I have littles so have limited one on one time; 30 minutes at a time is usually all I can squeeze in.

I am NOT math orientated; I need clear, precise, thorough explanations as to how to understand the concept and teach it.

I don't mind purchasing two separate programs for the girls but being able to use the same program with different learning styles would be a plus.

I don't mind going very slowly with dd6th because I don't think she will ever take higher level math. (I'll be ecstatic to get her through Algebra II and Geometry.)

Dd7th needs to be able to get as much math in as possible even if that means working through the summer.

Here are my concerns about three of the programs I looked at:

Singapore - Can someone not mathy teach it? Cost.

Math Mammoth - Liked the cost but didn't see any levels above 8th grade. (I could have missed it while my eyes were watering.)

Right Start - Looked like my dd6th would love all the games but concerned about the length of time to teach it and do all those games.

Okay, this has gotten really long and I thank anyone who actually got through this whole post. You are to be commended for perseverance. I ask that no one try to convince me to stay with MUS as hubby has stepped in and vetoed staying with it. Like I said before I am not saying MUS is bad, just that it isn't the math path WE need to stay on any longer. I still would have considered staying with it for my others and supplementing but dh said no and he has final say.

I'm going to cry into my pillow now.:crying:

I would say considering your dd's age, Rightstart wouldn't work now as they only go through early middle school and no pre-algebra. What about Chalkdust? It's pricey but highly regarded. There's also VideoText, which goes through geometry. Also a bit pricey but works well for some. Both are video based. My dd wants to be a vet as well and those are the ones I'm considering. Also, both are non-consumable, so you could use them with your other dc.

No advice except... DON'T PANIC!

Identifying an issue is the first step towards solving it. You have got enough time to find a suitable program and get her through it.

Plus you have a student who knows what she wants to do and is prepared to work for it. That is the biggest advantage you can have: choosing a new math program will be easy compared to motivating your child to want to learn. And you will get loads of great advice from the folks on here.

OK I only read a part of your post. I stopped where you said singapore's math is farthes from where she should be. (Yes I butchered the word for word thing, but you know where I read to)

My dd also is planning on being a vet. She is also going into 7th , and SHE requested being put back into Singapore math. So, I am going to finish math this year with her. DO LOF fractions and decimals & percents over the summer and do a singapore placement test to see where she is at after that. DO NOT PANIC if she is not at singapore's "grade level" Kids who do not start singapore from the beginning usually are not. My 2nd grader started singapore from the beginning so she is at grade level. I am guessing my rising 7th grader will be placed around 5B or 6A. We do math over breaks (through the school year and summer) So that will get her "caught up" Singapore is an awesome curriculum, so if you go with that, place her where she is at (Do not worry at the number on the book) and go from there, do extra math on breaks, she will be FINE! (BTW, from what I was told by a friend who has a now 7th grader in singapore, 6B is like beginning algebra)

Now I am going to read the rest of your post! :D

Have you looked into Chalkdust math? Its a video course, and starts at basic math. Check them out. You can find amazing deals used so dont look at the price :001_smile:. This might be what you are looking for! I would start with basic math, then move on from there. Click on that and you can view a demo lecture! Might be what you are looking for! :grouphug: Take a deep breath, let it out, repeat :D

Went to bed but got back up to check for replies...I'm crazy!

Thanks for the "Don't Panic"s. I'm trying not to.:D

I will check out Chalkdust tomorrow.

My dd also is planning on being a vet. She is also going into 7th , and SHE requested being put back into Singapore math. So, I am going to finish math this year with her. DO LOF fractions and decimals & percents over the summer and do a singapore placement test to see where she is at after that. DO NOT PANIC if she is not at singapore's "grade level" Kids who do not start singapore from the beginning usually are not. My 2nd grader started singapore from the beginning so she is at grade level. I am guessing my rising 7th grader will be placed around 5B or 6A. We do math over breaks (through the school year and summer) So that will get her "caught up" Singapore is an awesome curriculum, so if you go with that, place her where she is at (Do not worry at the number on the book) and go from there, do extra math on breaks, she will be FINE!

This makes me feel better. Thank you.

Going back to bed now.

Hi Aime. I know nothing about Chalkdust so that could be your answer. I just wanted to add that Math Mammoth has books on individual topics very similar to the Key to.. series that is recommended in TWTM to fill in gaps and get your students up to speed. The author of MM will personally look at your placement test and tell you which units you should complete. Then you will be all caught up without putting her back several grade levels in say, Singapore.

One other thing about Math Mammoth: After you complete what is available now (which is grade levels 1-6) you should be able to go directly into a pre- algebra course. So Maria (author of MM) should definitely be able to get you where you need to be.

Good Luck!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We switched to Singapore from Horizons this year at Grade 3 level. It was a major adjustment in what was expected of her in terms of maths thinking, and for the first 4 weeks I thought it was going to kill us, but we survived, and I am amazed at how her ability to work things out mentally and think through problems has improved.

We buy our Singapore books directly from Singapore (SG Box) and they have plenty of extra workbooks that show worked solutions - we have used these to catch up. The worked solutions (and the internet!) allow me to teach any new concepts we have come across. It's been a quicker (and cheaper) way of getting up to Grade level (dd is actually Gr 4) that buying the sets with text books etc.

Could you please help me? These are things that I have to take into consideration.

I have littles so have limited one on one time; 30 minutes at a time is usually all I can squeeze in.

I am NOT math orientated; I need clear, precise, thorough explanations as to how to understand the concept and teach it.

I don't mind purchasing two separate programs for the girls but being able to use the same program with different learning styles would be a plus.

Here are my concerns about three of the programs I looked at:

Singapore - Can someone not mathy teach it? Cost.

Math Mammoth - Liked the cost but didn't see any levels above 8th grade. (I could have missed it while my eyes were watering.)

I also have a child heading for a science career, who was way behind in math when I pulled him out of PS. I used Math Mammoth to get him caught up, and it worked wonderfully; MM is very easy to accelerate.

I would recommend MM over Singapore in your case for several reasons: (1) it's easier for someone who is not "mathy" to teach, because the concepts are broken down into small steps and it's written directly to the student; (2) it takes zero prep time (other than printing out the pages), so it's very time-efficient (as opposed to the parent reading the Teacher's Guide, figuring out how to teach the lesson, then teaching the lesson); and (3) you can use it for multiple children. For kids who need to accelerate (or catch up), you can do 3-4 pages per day and get through 2 grade levels in 12-15 months, and for a student who needs to go slowly and have lots of extra practice, you can do a page per day and generate extra worksheets as needed with the free software.

The downside is that Math Mammoth only goes up to 6th grade (the 7th and 8th grade worksheets were designed to be used for extra practice or tutoring ~ there is no "teaching" or explanation on them, just practice problems). However, I would consider both MM6 and Singapore PM6 to be adequate preparation for Algebra. My DS tested into TT Pre-Algebra after completing MM5, but we dropped TT because he found it too easy compared with MM.

Here's what I would do in your situation: I would start your DD in MM5A and have her do 3-4 pages per day. Keep working through the summer, and progress through 5B, 6A, and 6B (which should be available by the end of the summer). Next summer have her do Life of Fred Prealgebra & Biology, then start Algebra 1 in 8th grade.

This is very similar to what I've done with DS. He was only at a 3rd grade level after completing 4th grade in PS. He did MM4 & 5 over a period of 18 months, then started TT Pre-Algebra. He's currently doing Life of Fred Pre-Algebra, some MM6A pages, and some Kinetic Books Pre-Algebra. He will start Alg 1 some time next year (in 7th).

As others have said ~ don't panic! Your DD is still quite young and has plenty of time to catch up to where she wants to be. :grouphug:

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Or you can just work with your dd to get her ready for the curriculum of your choice. Just figure out what it is that she needs to know before placing into that test, and work with her on those skills. Multiplication, division, whatever. Use manipulatives, play games, use flashcards. If you start now you may be able to place her into your chosen curriculum by the fall. A curriculum makes things easy for us, but it also slows us down. A child is capable of learning much faster than some of the sequencing that we see. Also, do not worry because she will bump into these same concepts again and again, so they will be reinforced through the math curriculum later on. Just stop what you are doing now and work on her weak areas. You can do it, mom!

Math Mammoth Blue series is good for a few worksheets for practice here and there, or you can make your own, or print out free worksheets from the Internet. DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get bogged down with worksheets though, one on one and application with manipulatives is really going to propel her forward at a better rate than any curriculum.

I'm a little confused, did your child do Zeta before Epsilon in the MUS series? Epsilon should come first and Zeta would be the last in the elementary series after that your child should be able to jump into any pre-algebra program provided she has done well with the material up to this point. I'm not sure I would backtrack her into another program like Singapore. I would move ahead into a pre-algebra after finishing MUS. Jann in TX always recommends Lials Basic College Math as a good pre-algebra. This text would catch your dd up very well. You can find copies very cheap at Amazon.

Blessings,

Pat

Edited by Pat in MI

Truly relax. You do NOT have a problem. MUS is a perfectly good, in fact excellent, program for elementary. (I have no knowledge past there!) (I am thinking you got your Epsilon and Zeta backwards?) My dd went straight from MUS to BJU algebra this year with absolutely no problems. She, gasp, skipped pre-algebra. She has commented, without any prompting or questioning, that MUS really prepared her well for it. It has been a very pleasant surprise to see how easy algebra has been for her! As far along as your dd is in MUS, I would highly suggest finishing Zeta and THEN moving into another series for the high school level courses. If MUS is really easy for her, just start going through it faster. Have her do more than one assignment a day or only do a lesson or two on concepts she picks up quickly. There are plenty of excellent choices for high school math. Hop over to the high school board and do a search for some suggestions. But, honestly, there is no need to abandon a ship that close to shore, especially when it really isn't leaking. Your dd most likely has an excellent grasp of her basic maths and will find success in any of the programs you choose for algebra.

Edited by Lolly

Finish the elementary levels of MUS then use the generic chalkdust plan. Chalkdust is an excellent program with DVDs and quality textbooks. When you buy from them, you also get customer service. For many, the problem with CD is the cost, but fortunately for us, a forum member (Pongo) found out that you can buy the same instructor DVDs from the textbook companies at a very reduced price on Amazon, simply by using the ISBN numbers. Here is the list (drop any 13's when looking up the ISBN on Amazon):

Traditional Geo.

DVD

ISBN-13: 9780618400959

Text

ISBN-13: 978-0669316650

Teachers Annotated Edition

ISBN-13: 978-0669316674

Complete Solutions Guide

ISBN 13: 978-0669-31679-7

New geo.

DVD

ISBN-13: 9780618645336

Text

ISBN-13: 9780618645251

Solutions Manual

ISBN-13: 978-0618645268

basic math

DVD 7th Edition (6 DVD's)

Teacher Edition ISBN: 978-0618202867

Student Text ISBN: 978-0618202850

pre-algebra

DVD $29.52

TM $23.45

Soloutions (ODD Only) starting at $1.55

Text-Used starting at 83 cents, yup I said cents

algebra 1

Elementary Algebra the same as Algebra 1

Student textbook put out by Chalkdust ISBN-13: 978-0618107742

Student textbook for lessĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ ISBN-13: 978-0618753871(doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t say Chalkdust)

Solution Guide by CD ISBN-13: 978-0618107773

Solution Guide not by CD (cheaper) ISBN: 9780618388196

Videos ISBN-13: 9780618388233 (Make sure you get 6 videos).

algebra 2

Algebra 2 DVD-ISBN: 9780618306763

Text ISBN: 9780618218783

Student Solutions ISBN 978-0618218806

precalculus

http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Li...523042&sr=11-1

Precalculus With Limits: A Graphing Approach (dvd edition) (CD-ROM)

# ISBN-10: 0618394877

# ISBN-13: 978-0618394876

http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Fu..._sim_b_title_2

Precalculus Functions And Graphs: A Graphing Approach (Paperback)

# ISBN-10: 0618394761

# ISBN-13: 978-0618394760

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Study and Solutions Guide to Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach / Precalculus With Limits: A Graphing Approach (Paperback)

# ISBN-10: 0618394818

I noticed I'm missing the ISBN for pre-alg, so here is the original thread.

I did this for Alg and Alg 2 and I am so pleased I did! Looks like high school math will be breezy for me :) Remember, by doing this the generic way, you won't get the customer support, but you honestly can always get math help HERE.

Best wishes for no stress and much success!

My advice is to *finish* with MUS through Zeta. One of the biggest problems with MUS is that the sequence is so odd compared to other programs that it's hard to change midstream. DO NOT WORRY that she wouldn't place well in the Singapore program or any other program for that matter. Singapore, for example, introduces decimals in the 4th grade book so if she hasn't learned that then that is probably the highest level she'd place into.

It goes the other way too. My son was halfway through Saxon 7/6 when I realized that he needed a different approach. He placed into Beta--so that's where we started. I was impressed with the MUS program through Zeta.

I'm not sure what concepts you are concerned about not covering. If you go through Zeta you will cover most of the important topics. I think certain things like negative numbers might be missing.

While I think you will make things more difficult for yourself if you abandon MUS before the end of Zeta, you might want to take a look at Lial's Basic College Math. It is a complete review of arithmetic. Singapore, in my opinion is a fabulous choice, but not for your situation. And RightStart only goes to 4th grade (or 5th if you use the geometry program) unless things have changed.

Jann in TX always recommends Lials Basic College Math as a good pre-algebra. This text would catch your dd up very well. You can find copies very cheap at Amazon.

Blessings,

Pat

Like everyone else said: Don't panic!

My dd11 is completing Saxon 7/6, and we are using Lial's BCM as well. It is a GREAT book! I found a used copy on ebay for less than $10.

You have plenty of time - and summer is coming -- great time to do LoF and other stuff. Hang in there.

Finish the elementary levels of MUS then use the generic chalkdust plan.

:iagree:

I have a degree in math, therefore, you should listen to me. ;)

We used MUS from K through Algebra. You may read my review here.

MUS is a terrific elementary math curriculum. If it's working for you, don't switch. For your dc who are not challenged, move quicker and supplement with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems.

I found MUS lacking in the high school grades. I've never used Chalkdust (having someone else teach math would take all the fun out of hs'ing for me), but it gets positive reviews. It will be more rigorous than MUS.

Have you checked out Dr. Callahan math? It uses Jacob's Algebra, Geometry and then heads into college textbooks for PreCalc and Calc. I agree with sticking through MUS until Pre-Alg too. MUS is solid and covers the important bases needed to tackle PreAlg and Algebra. And I would caution that a 7th grader CAN think they know exactly what they are going to do when they grow up----but kids change, hormones kick in, they get more life experience---so I agree with the previous advice given---DON'T panic! You really don't have to teach pre-vet school in grade school---or even high school. :tongue_smilie:

Have you checked out Dr. Callahan math? It uses Jacob's Algebra, Geometry and then heads into college textbooks for PreCalc and Calc. I agree with sticking through MUS until Pre-Alg too. MUS is solid and covers the important bases needed to tackle PreAlg and Algebra. And I would caution that a 7th grader CAN think they know exactly what they are going to do when they grow up----but kids change, hormones kick in, they get more life experience---so I agree with the previous advice given---DON'T panic! You really don't have to teach pre-vet school in grade school---or even high school. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:My 'I want to be a vet' dd (who is now 29) went to medical school. My 'I want to be a vet' niece, is now a sophmore at Juilliard majoring in opera.

You might not want to change horses mid-stream -- no pun intended.:D

and Intermediate Algebra...if you can find them. They can usually be purchased for a song on any of the used textbook sites. The texts by Tobey and Slater are comparable, look for those if you can't find the others. These are used across the country at community colleges.

My ds12 is using Basic College Math and it is a wonderful way to fill in those math gaps left from trying other curricula early on. My dd17 is using the Tobey & Slater Intermediate Algebra (would have used Lial, but happened to have the other one on hand). Best move ever for both kids. The instructions are clear and the since they are cc texts, you know they meet those pesky math standards.

I would think any student using these texts through graduation (my dd will finish with Pre Calculus) would be more than prepared for college level math and science classes.

hth,

Robin

I'm a little confused, did your child do Zeta before Epsilon in the MUS series? Epsilon should come first and Zeta would be the last in the elementary series after that your child should be able to jump into any pre-algebra program provided she has done well with the material up to this point. I'm not sure I would backtrack her into another program like Singapore. I would move ahead into a pre-algebra after finishing MUS. Jann in TX always recommends Lials Basic College Math as a good pre-algebra. This text would catch your dd up very well. You can find copies very cheap at Amazon.

Blessings,

Pat

Truly relax. You do NOT have a problem. MUS is a perfectly good, in fact excellent, program for elementary. (I have no knowledge past there!) (I am thinking you got your Epsilon and Zeta backwards?) My dd went straight from MUS to BJU algebra this year with absolutely no problems. She, gasp, skipped pre-algebra. She has commented, without any prompting or questioning, that MUS really prepared her well for it. It has been a very pleasant surprise to see how easy algebra has been for her! As far along as your dd is in MUS, I would highly suggest finishing Zeta and THEN moving into another series for the high school level courses. If MUS is really easy for her, just start going through it faster. Have her do more than one assignment a day or only do a lesson or two on concepts she picks up quickly. There are plenty of excellent choices for high school math. Hop over to the high school board and do a search for some suggestions. But, honestly, there is no need to abandon a ship that close to shore, especially when it really isn't leaking. Your dd most likely has an excellent grasp of her basic maths and will find success in any of the programs you choose for algebra.

Finish the elementary levels of MUS then use the generic chalkdust plan. .

I did this for Alg and Alg 2 and I am so pleased I did! Looks like high school math will be breezy for me :) Remember, by doing this the generic way, you won't get the customer support, but you honestly can always get math help HERE.

Best wishes for no stress and much success!

My advice is to *finish* with MUS through Zeta. One of the biggest problems with MUS is that the sequence is so odd compared to other programs that it's hard to change midstream. DO NOT WORRY that she wouldn't place well in the Singapore program or any other program for that matter. Singapore, for example, introduces decimals in the 4th grade book so if she hasn't learned that then that is probably the highest level she'd place into.

It goes the other way too. My son was halfway through Saxon 7/6 when I realized that he needed a different approach. He placed into Beta--so that's where we started. I was impressed with the MUS program through Zeta.

I'm not sure what concepts you are concerned about not covering. If you go through Zeta you will cover most of the important topics. I think certain things like negative numbers might be missing.

While I think you will make things more difficult for yourself if you abandon MUS before the end of Zeta, you might want to take a look at Lial's Basic College Math. It is a complete review of arithmetic. Singapore, in my opinion is a fabulous choice, but not for your situation. And RightStart only goes to 4th grade (or 5th if you use the geometry program) unless things have changed.

great advice! :D from those who have btdt.

I don't mean to be argumentative and I have no advice on programs but I wanted to go to vet school. I realized that I would need two extra years of college because of my weaknesses in math and science (I followed the traditional high school sequence). I just couldn't justify that. So while you shouldn't panic and your dd's plan may change, you are doing exactly the right thing by being proactive. You will need a different path through high school and now is the time to be thinking about that -IMO.

You know I think just about every little girl wants to be a vet. LOL! My daughter has been telling me she wants to be one since she was 4. She'll be in 7th grade this year and she is beginning to waiver on that idea ( you might have to touch snakes!LOL,, that's her only pet peeve. )

With that said at this age I think they are just beginning to see the world. I bet she'll change her mind a hundred times.

I would just finish with what you have and then pick something different for high school. If she is totally bored with MUS, you could switch her to something else like Math Mammoth, Saxon, CLE math or Life of Fred.

I don't mean to be argumentative and I have no advice on programs but I wanted to go to vet school. I realized that I would need two extra years of college because of my weaknesses in math and science (I followed the traditional high school sequence). I just couldn't justify that. So while you shouldn't panic and your dd's plan may change, you are doing exactly the right thing by being proactive. You will need a different path through high school and now is the time to be thinking about that -IMO.

good experience, thanks for sharing.

You know I think just about every little girl wants to be a vet. LOL! My daughter has been telling me she wants to be one since she was 4. She'll be in 7th grade this year and she is beginning to waiver on that idea ( you might have to touch snakes!LOL,, that's her only pet peeve. )

With that said at this age I think they are just beginning to see the world. I bet she'll change her mind a hundred times.

I would just finish with what you have and then pick something different for high school. If she is totally bored with MUS, you could switch her to something else like Math Mammoth, Saxon, CLE math or Life of Fred.

:iagree: Both of my dd's have wanted to be a vet at various times. :lol:

Thank you all so much for your replies. I don't feel as panicky as I did last night. I looked back at S'Pore this morning and it's just so different from what the way I learned and the way my dc have learned. I agree with those that say this is not a route I should take at this point with my dc.

Those suggesting that I stick with MUS until pre-algebra...I hear you! I think one of the things that is concerning me is the amount of real world application I see in the other programs placement tests. I feel whereas my dd does great with basic application she is lacking in applying what she knows to real life situations. (Did I explain that well?) Adding in some work on these types of applications is something I definitely need to do. At this point I don't know what we are going to do but I am starting with a few placement tests to see where we might have some gaps. MM's placement test is organized into specific concepts so I am going to start with that one. I need to talk to dh again about this too. You have all given me great advice and I know to listen to those who have btdt. I think my dh and I both had a knee-jerk reaction last night. Thank you all for guiding me through this.

I have a lot to look at but don't mind having more suggestions.

I feel whereas my dd does great with basic application she is lacking in applying what she knows to real life situations. (Did I explain that well?) Adding in some work on these types of applications is something I definitely need to do.

Did someone already suggest Life of Fred?

No problem! ;) I'll just clarify that I wasn't suggesting to ignore a child's desire to go into a certain field, because my older brother decided I think when he was about 7 he wanted to be an MD----and he never lost that passion and IS one today. It's just that a LOT of kids---my dd included----are certain they want to go into a certain field and sometimes we (parents) spend $$ or lots of mental exertion---especially as homeschooling parents :D---trying to accomodate those passions. And then those passions might fizzle. BTDT. Just trying to add that dissenting, skeptical voice I guess---but trying to add it nicely :D

Just another thought though---isn't Vet School after college? I could be totally off here----but if a student took the standard high school lineup of sciences and maths as high and as far as they could handle---and then pursued further pre-req's in college---doesn't that suffice? I could be totally wrong here, though :confused:

No problem! ;) I'll just clarify that I wasn't suggesting to ignore a child's desire to go into a certain field, because my older brother decided I think when he was about 7 he wanted to be an MD----and he never lost that passion and IS one today. It's just that a LOT of kids---my dd included----are certain they want to go into a certain field and sometimes we (parents) spend $$ or lots of mental exertion---especially as homeschooling parents :D---trying to accomodate those passions. And then those passions might fizzle. BTDT. Just trying to add that dissenting, skeptical voice I guess---but trying to add it nicely :D

Just another thought though---isn't Vet School after college? I could be totally off here----but if a student took the standard high school lineup of sciences and maths as high and as far as they could handle---and then pursued further pre-req's in college---doesn't that suffice? I could be totally wrong here, though :confused:

I totally get the changing plans thing but - I was "brushed off" as a kid when it came to knowing what I wanted and it is something I vow not to do with my kids. I was also a girl and it was a boys field - but that is a rant for another day.:tongue_smilie:BTW I am quite happy I never went to vet school and am where I am so ......who knows?

Now this may vary state to state - I had a friend in IA tell me that you could go straight from vet tech to vet school if you want to. Normally though you would get your bachelor degree and then apply to Vet School. The U of MN is extremely selective. You have to have different credits from your first 3-4 years then if you planned to go into elementary ed (what I did). I did not have the prerequisites needed to get into the first year math and science classes for a bachelors degree in any math or science related field. All is well that ends well, ya know, but in my experience the path taken in high school is extremely important.

We use MUS. DD is in Epsilon and doing it concurrently with Life of Fred Fractions. LOF does quite well applying it to real world situations. If she's finding MUS too easy, I would start working through a lesson per day instead of having her do all the pages. I agree with others who suggest not changing mid-stream. Supplementing though is another thing entirely. TWTM recommends Family Math, which might help with real world applications as well.

Those suggesting that I stick with MUS until pre-algebra...I hear you! I think one of the things that is concerning me is the amount of real world application I see in the other programs placement tests. I feel whereas my dd does great with basic application she is lacking in applying what she knows to real life situations. (Did I explain that well?) Adding in some work on these types of applications is something I definitely need to do. At this point I don't know what we are going to do but I am starting with a few placement tests to see where we might have some gaps. MM's placement test is organized into specific concepts so I am going to start with that one. I need to talk to dh again about this too. You have all given me great advice and I know to listen to those who have btdt. I think my dh and I both had a knee-jerk reaction last night. Thank you all for guiding me through this.

I totally get the changing plans thing but - I was "brushed off" as a kid when it came to knowing what I wanted and it is something I vow not to do with my kids. I was also a girl and it was a boys field - but that is a rant for another day.:tongue_smilie:BTW I am quite happy I never went to vet school and am where I am so ......who knows?

:thumbdown: Yep---I totally understand--BTDT! I was either going to be a vet or a screenwriter---and now I'm a homeschooling mom with 5 furry kids and 2 real ones :tongue_smilie: And checking into possible schools and the requirements for science/math is an excellent idea. I know there aren't a whole lot of vet schools in the country and I do remember being discouraged myself because they are 'so competitive' to get into :001_huh:

You have to have different credits from your first 3-4 years then if you planned to go into elementary ed (what I did). I did not have the prerequisites needed to get into the first year math and science classes for a bachelors degree in any math or science related field. All is well that ends well, ya know, but in my experience the path taken in high school is extremely important.

:iagree:

This is from the Cornell University website regarding veterinary medicine:

What courses should I take in high school?

Take all college preparatory courses in all major subjects especially, biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, trigonometry, statistics, environmental/earth science and English. Also important are computer science, history and languages. Take all at the highest level your high school offers.

I appreciate the cautionary statements regarding getting to worked up about highschool courses when my dd may very well decide to change her mind. It is possible but not probable that this dc will change her mind about wanting to be in a field dealing with animals. She may very well change her mind about being a vet and choose to become a Zoologist, go into wildlife management or even bio-med. But, whatever her path I would prefer she be over-prepared than not prepared enough. (I think their are only 28 vet schools in the US and only 1 out of every 2.5 gets admitted.) All of this is of coarse her choice; if at any time she came to me and said it's too much I would help her create a new plan.

I have looked at Chalkdust and it interests me a lot. I know for higher level maths I definitely need to have DVDs or hire a tutor. Tina, thank you for giving me the info about getting them cheaper...much more doable! I will look at Family Math or LoF for helping with real world applications. Could anyone tell me what they think about Teaching Textbooks? I have a friend who's dc use it and she has a 10th grader that just finished pre-cal. She said not to look at the grade levels that they are not accurate. She mentioned the lectures being really good. She has a degree in Bio-Med so wouldn't think she would choose a math that is too easy. How is TT compared to Chalkdust? Also would either of these be able to be used by a non-math person at a slower pace? (for my second oldest)

I feel a lot better after all of these great replies. It feels good being pro-active about working out a new path instead of spinning my wheels in panic. :D

Just to add a little into the mix, I was reading a handout from Dr Wile (of Apologia's high school science fame) on homeschooling high school. He recommends Videotext Interactive for Algebra 1 and 2 (he also says MUS "works concepts well but has weaker problems" so maybe doing the Singapre Intensive Practice or CWP workbooks could help there). And, I love what I've seen so far from Life Of Fred, we will be using that when we finish with Singapore Primary Math :)

My best friend will go on and on about how vet school is tougher than med school. and on...

I've been told that as well.

I can't help you until Alg 2, Trig & Calc (and I only landed on this curriculum by accident), but you may want to check out Algebra by Heart. Austin French is a prof at Georgetown College in Kentucky.

(it is VERY Christian)

HTH