Menu

Secular homeschooling convention/conference?

Well, the Washington Homeschool Organization is not a religious organization. It hosts a huge curriculum fair and a couple of days of speakers. I think there are some speakers who may be Christians, and various vendors whose curricula is from a Christian viewpoint, but other speakers and vendors are secular.

http://www.washhomeschool.org/convention/convention.html

I saw SWB there a couple of years ago. :001_smile:

The Link Homeschool Conference in southern California each year is secular and less "unschooly" than other secular conferences. When I worked as a vendor there a couple of years ago, we were treated horribly, and the conference was incredibly disorganized for such a large event, so I can't really recommend it.

The Minnesota Homeschoolers Alliance conference is secular and not unschooling oriented, but it's quite small. It's very well run, however.

Inclusive. Maybe that's more what I am looking for. A conference which does not limit itself to a set of narrow expectations or requirements, but recognizes that we as homeschoolers are a diverse group, and that we educate using diverse methods.

In my perfect world.... who would like to join me??? :D

Inclusive. Maybe that's more what I am looking for. A conference which does not limit itself to a set of narrow expectations or requirements, but recognizes that we as homeschoolers are a diverse group, and that we educate using diverse methods.

In my perfect world.... who would like to join me??? :D

Well, there was some discussion about a new convention series coming next year:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:g3ubUnz9ffwJ:www.cincinnatihomeschoolconvention.com/2011_Exhibitor_Application.doc+brennan+dean+homeschool+conference&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'm sure there will be plenty of Christian content, but it looks like the focus won't be "homeschooling, parenting, and homemaking as a Christian." SWB and MCT will be speaking, so that alone might be reason enough :)

If you come across any other options, please let us know. I'd be interested as well.

Edited by melissel

I will second these 4 conventions (well, I only really have experience with the Cincinnati one).

I say this because I , as a secular homeschooler, have found more than enough to keep me happy at this convention and only received positive feedback when contacting them about various things.

They also asked me (contacted me, specifically :001_huh:) asking to send them a list of other secular/educational vendors that I thought would be a good addition. I think that is pretty cool. Needless to say, I sent a long and crazy wish list. They loved MCT... and wanted to find some more along that line...that they are not aware of.

So, the Cinicinnati convention and it's offshoots are definitely Christian, but they are ALSO trying to be inclusive as much as they can. I think that is admirable, myself. This is a hard market... we are all different and sometimes people can't stand you if you are too religious, or not religious enough. As homeschoolers, we are already weird, by society's standards. :D I like having as many people, ideas, vendors, speakers, products and styles as possible to experience and choose from, while still attending an affordable and well organized event.

They are pretty responsive, so if there is someone you think they should invite... go ahead and write them.

I will second these 4 conventions (well, I only really have experience with the Cincinnati one).

I say this because I , as a secular homeschooler, have found more than enough to keep me happy at this convention and only received positive feedback when contacting them about various things.

Thank you for confirming, Korin. The Philly conference will be close enough for me to attend, and I was so afraid of being disappointed when the actual agenda was settled! I'm really looking forward to it. I don't mind some religious content, but after looking at the forums and speakers for a few of the recent and upcoming conferences, I despaired of ever finding one I would find it worthwhile to attend.

They also asked me (contacted me, specifically :001_huh:) asking to send them a list of other secular/educational vendors that I thought would be a good addition. I think that is pretty cool. Needless to say, I sent a long and crazy wish list. They loved MCT... and wanted to find some more along that line...that they are not aware of.

So, the Cinicinnati convention and it's offshoots are definitely Christian, but they are ALSO trying to be inclusive as much as they can. I think that is admirable, myself. This is a hard market... we are all different and sometimes people can't stand you if you are too religious, or not religious enough. As homeschoolers, we are already weird, by society's standards. :D I like having as many people, ideas, vendors, speakers, products and styles as possible to experience and choose from, while still attending an affordable and well organized event.

They are pretty responsive, so if there is someone you think they should invite... go ahead and write them.

Thank you for this! I was excited to see they were going to be branching out, but still was a bit unsure about their slant. This information is VERY encouraging.

And yes, I proudly let my freak flag fly. :D

California Homeschool Network Family Expo http://www.californiahomeschool.net/events/expo/familyexpo.htm

is secular and pretty inclusive. There are some religious vendors and speakers, but by far the majority are secular. The bent is unschooling in the speakers of, more so some years than others, but each year has other views presented as well. You can tell pretty easily from the topic description what type of slant it has and choose your lectures accordingly.