Menu

Temporary homeschooling?

My BIL and nephew will be moving to a new state. It is a rather abrupt move, and they would be moving within the next 7 days so that BIL can start his new job. (yay!) However, my nephew will have to move with him, but this move will be occurring 2 weeks before the end of of the school year. Staying with friends in the area to finish the last two weeks of school is not an option for my nephew (for reasons I won't go into here). They will likely be living with us for 2-3 weeks while my BIL finds a place to live. He's been on unemployment the last 15 months, so he can't get into a new place until he gets paid at the end of the month.

All that background for this question: if you were him, how would you handle nephew's school situation?

He is moving from TX to MS. Both are rather easy places to homeschool, paperwork-wise. Does he pull him out in TX, register as a homeschooler here, then register for school in the fall in his new district (he'd register as a homeschooler in our county but probably be living in a different county by next school year)? Does he just pull him out and explain to the new district the circumstances of the move and just register him? Does he talk to the current school and ask for the materials to finish up his year at home then count himself passed from that school then just transfer in the fall? What would you do?

I feel that we might be over-thinking this and that there is a really simple answer out there that we aren't seeing. :D Any insight any of you could provide would be wonderful. Thanks!

What grade is he in?

If it's not high school, I wouldn't worry about it. The last two weeks won't make or break his education. Then over the summer, they can register at the new school.

If it's high school and he needs to complete his courses for credit, then I'd suggest he talk with the school for suggestions. Maybe he could just complete the work required and send it in via mail to his teachers, or maybe they could assign all that will be due ahead of time, so he can finish before he leaves. They should be willing to work with him.

Congratulations to your BIL!!! :)

What grade is he in?

If it's not high school' date=' I wouldn't worry about it. The last two weeks won't make or break his education. Then over the summer, they can register at the new school. [/quote']

I knew I was forgetting something. :001_smile: He's finishing 7th grade.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but since my kids have never been in school, I didn't know if he would have problems transferring in to the new school if he hadn't completed the year at his old school. Also, BIL is worried about truancy laws (messy divorce, trying to do everything as clean as possible).

Congratulations to your BIL!!! :)

Thanks! We're really happy for him!

I knew I was forgetting something. :001_smile: He's finishing 7th grade.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but since my kids have never been in school, I didn't know if he would have problems transferring in to the new school if he hadn't completed the year at his old school. Also, BIL is worried about truancy laws (messy divorce, trying to do everything as clean as possible).

With this in mind I'd be inclined to check with the new school. It might be better in the long run for your nephew to sit in class for a week or two in order to make sure everything is done correctly.