Menu

Setting the table question

I have been trying to get dd (5) in the habit of setting the table. But I am not sure I am telling her right! is it...

fork on the left with napkin

spoon and knife on the right with glass?

the napkin is the part i am most not sure about!

The napkin can be done lots of ways. When we use paper napkin, we fold them in half (rectanlge or traingles) and place it under the fork. With cloth, we might roll them in a napkin ring and place it to the left of the fork, or fold it and place it in the center of the plate, or place it in the wine glass, etc... lots of options.

Cutlery should always be placed to you use the outer utensils first. So if you eat salad before the entree, place the salad fork to the left of the entree fork. If you eat it after, place it to the right.

Forks on the left, knives and spoons on the right. Glasses at the top right. Dessert cutlery can be placed above the plate instead of on the sides, or can be brought out with dessert.

If you use the british/american setting, place forks and spoons face up, french style is face down.

I *love* table setting :)

Let me know if you have more questions.

Knife and spoon (if used) on the right, napkin to the right of the spoon. The folded napkin may also be placed on top of the plate.

Restaurants place untensils on top of napkins (to keep the paper napkins from blowing off??), but restuarants should not be our standard of comparison for proper etiquette :-)

Cutlery should always be placed to you use the outer utensils first. So if you eat salad before the entree, place the salad fork to the left of the entree fork. If you eat it after, place it to the right.

Ummm, I only put one fork on the table, and only add knives and spoons if something calls for them. :D

When I used to work outside of the home my employer required a business etiquette class (for entertaining clients) and they taught a neat way to remember.

Left is 4 letters and so is fork and so is food (bread plate goes above plate on the left)

Right is 5 letters, so are spoon, knife, and drink (beverage glasses go above the plate on the right)

As for the napkin it can go on the left or on the plate.

And yes, always start with utensils on the outside and work your way in.

You have to think of it as if you were eatting a steak, (and you are right handed). You'd need to hold your fork with your left hand and cut it with your right, (so fork is on left and knife is on right...with the spoon). And, the napkin is under the fork. This is your most interesting question? :):lol:

This is bringing back all sorts of bad memories about the time my MIL said to me (in a restuarant) as I was holding my coffee cup incorrectly, 'didn't your mother teach you anything?' Shudder.

I do want to teach my ds to set a table properly. So thanks for the thread.

Oh btw. My reply to MIL was, 'my mother taught me that bad manners are making anyone feel uncomfortable. You've just made me feel VERY uncomfortable.' Whereas I left the table and waited in the entrance of the restaurant for them.

I was 20.

This is bringing back all sorts of bad memories about the time my MIL said to me (in a restuarant) as I was holding my coffee cup incorrectly, 'didn't your mother teach you anything?' Shudder.

I do want to teach my ds to set a table properly. So thanks for the thread.

Oh btw. My reply to MIL was, 'my mother taught me that bad manners are making anyone feel uncomfortable. You've just made me feel VERY uncomfortable.' Whereas I left the table and waited in the entrance of the restaurant for them.

I was 20.

Why can't I ever think of those clever comebacks at the time! Very good for age 20!

Left is 4 letters and so is fork and so is food (bread plate goes above plate on the left)

Right is 5 letters, so are spoon, knife, and drink (beverage glasses go above the plate on the right)

Makes me think of my Mom...:) Have to remember to pass it on to dd.