Menu

What curriculums are there for 4 yr. history cycle that keeps all kids on same topic?

ALB

With MFW, they have the oldest student switch to high school Ancients at 9th grade, so at that point, the high schooler would be on a different time period than the younger group. UNLESS it happens to work out that the younger group is on CTG the same year the high schooler is doing AHL.

When a child reaches high school, at that point they aren't about keeping them all together because the concentration is on college prep work.

I think Veritas would be similar since they have an older student switching to Omnibus at 7th grade.

If keeping them together is really important to you, even with high schoolers in the mix, you might consider Heart of Dakota. She doesn't have any high school programs written (I think she plans on doing h.s. level Geography, but not history), but she does offer suggestions on how you can beef up the elementary programs for h.s. level work if you're interested in doing that.

I struggle between keeping them together or not. We've always done everything together and are very close. However, if they're college-bound, they DO need to cover certain topics at a certain level during high school. If keeping them together will prevent this from happening, and you plan for your kids to go to college, then you'll have to by necessity interrupt the oldest child's chronological cycle in order to get what they need for college prep. Either that or do lots of tweaking and supplementing on your own.

The other thing about MFW is, they expect your High Schooler to be working independently. That's why it doesn't bother me to be on two different topics in High School. We're using MFW EX1850 and I purchased the 2/3 grade supplements. I'll do the same thing next year. It makes it easy peasy to keep my youngest with us.

Veritas isn't really about combining (unless they've changed their approach). Each child would be in their own year unless you choose to modify and combine. Also, VP doesn't work on a 4 year cycle. They move VEEERRRRYYYYY SLLOOOWWWW through history. I think it takes a total of 6 years.

HTH!

Dorinda

We are doing Simply Charlotte Mason history guides, and we love it! They don't have the daily lesson plans for Early Modern Times (1550 to 1850) or Modern Times (1850 to present), yet. These are just book lists. However, they will be coming out with these next year and the year after. You can also shorten the rotation, and make it a 5 yr. instead of 6 rotation fairly easy.

Veritas isn't really about combining (unless they've changed their approach). Each child would be in their own year unless you choose to modify and combine. Also, VP doesn't work on a 4 year cycle. They move VEEERRRRYYYYY SLLOOOWWWW through history. I think it takes a total of 6 years.

HTH!

Dorinda

Actually, Veritas DOES combine :D . . . it's just not really easy to figure that out via the website or catalog. They cover history in 5 years instead of 4. I have their Scholars plans for the Old Testament/Ancient Egypt year and it's NICELY laid out with reading and activities for the Older (4th to 6th) and the Younger (to 3rd grade). SilverMoon uses VP with her crew and there is quite a range of ages there. They love it. She does just fine with it and doesn't use their Scholars lesson plans. She's a fantastic resource for info. on VP.

Omnibus, VP's Logic and Rhetoric stage history/lit/theology program, runs in two three-year cycles. I'm not positive about this but I do believe that Omni I - III are written at the same "level" (so you can combine if needed with kids close in age) and that Omni IV - VI (not out just yet but coming) are also written at the same level.

Anyhow, hope that helps clarify VP just a little. :001_smile:

Actually, Veritas DOES combine :D . . . it's just not really easy to figure that out via the website or catalog. They cover history in 5 years instead of 4. I have their Scholars plans for the Old Testament/Ancient Egypt year and it's NICELY laid out with reading and activities for the Older (4th to 6th) and the Younger (to 3rd grade). SilverMoon uses VP with her crew and there is quite a range of ages there. They love it. She does just fine with it and doesn't use their Scholars lesson plans. She's a fantastic resource for info. on VP.

Omnibus, VP's Logic and Rhetoric stage history/lit/theology program, runs in two three-year cycles. I'm not positive about this but I do believe that Omni I - III are written at the same "level" (so you can combine if needed with kids close in age) and that Omni IV - VI (not out just yet but coming) are also written at the same level.

VP is definitely multi-level and VERY easy to follow with kids of all ages....I have even used the cards as referenced through Omnibus.

Faithe

VP is definitely multi-level and VERY easy to follow with kids of all ages....I have even used the cards as referenced through Omnibus.

Faithe

I'm considering Omni for Jr High/High School. As for the Elementary level, I didn't find it open and go. I even found it a pain to order (even the rep couldn't tell me which books were used regularly). But, that was before the Scholars program. I received my catalog yesterday, and it looks like I stand corrected. They have changed A LOT!!! I still find the catalog confusing and cumbersome. It's a pet peeve of mine though. I want the catalog to be simple, and easy to figure out (now there will be someone that tells me they think it's easy:lol:). Oh well! To each their own!

Dorinda

I'm considering Omni for Jr High/High School. As for the Elementary level, I didn't find it open and go. I even found it a pain to order (even the rep couldn't tell me which books were used regularly). But, that was before the Scholars program. I received my catalog yesterday, and it looks like I stand corrected. They have changed A LOT!!! I still find the catalog confusing and cumbersome. It's a pet peeve of mine though. I want the catalog to be simple, and easy to figure out (now there will be someone that tells me they think it's easy:lol:). Oh well! To each their own!

Dorinda

Dorinda,

Have you looked here http://resources.veritaspress.com/SL_Resource_Download.asp ? :D You are SO right that it isn't the easiest catalog or website to figure out!!!! I think if it was easier to see how things fit together and how they work then more folks would be inclined to choose VP.

Anyhow, if you go to VP's home page and click Resources at the top . . . scroll down past the spectacles :001_smile: and click on Downloads . . .scroll down quite a ways (there are many helpful files here) and you'll see a section listing each year of history and the resources used (It will read something like this: "2nd Grade: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt Resources"). The files are super helpful and detailed: names of resources listed on the backs of the cards, the # of times they are used in the year, and what priority VP gives each resource (from 1 to 3). I find these lists to be very helpful. Here's a descriptor: "This PDF lists the resources found on the bottom of the flashcards, how many times each one is used, and the priority we have assigned it."

Maybe this info will help or inspire someone . . .

Written by a mom of many children, it is intended to keep a multi age family all studying the same topic at different levels. However, the author does not recommend it as sufficient for high school.

All American History is like this in theory, but challenging in practice, I think.

I believe that TOG and WTM suggestions are the most truly like this.

Written by a mom of many children, it is intended to keep a multi age family all studying the same topic at different levels. However, the author does not recommend it as sufficient for high school.

I believe that TOG and WTM suggestions are the most truly like this.

I've never heard of Steward Ship, but that's exactly how MFW is intended to work. Thus, the separate high school curriculum. MFW is also written by a mom of many children, with formal training in speech and language pathology and education.