Menu

Saxon Math 87 -- Anyone know of a solution manual that shows how answers are derived?

I have the 2nd edition with the Homeschool packet. The answers for the problem sets are just the answers.

Sometimes I can't figure out how to get an answer and I need help!!! Does anyone know of a more thorough solution key???

Thanks!

I don't know if there is a solution manual, but each problem has the chapter in which it was taught printed in tiny numbers next to it. I've found that if I couldn't figure it out by just looking at the solution, I could go back and reread the lesson and then figure it out. Every once in a while Saxon is wrong!!! And also what can be frustrating for me is that they'll have the problem all in decimal form but then then the answer will be in fraction form or vice versa. Grrrrr. So if I'm whipping through checking the answers I may accidentally mark something wrong only to have kid come back and say, hey, I just wrote it in a different form!

Saxon sells the solutions manual separately from the other books. You can find it on many different sites, but I think Christian Books tends to have pretty good prices, also Learning Things- or something like that. The solutions manual is worth every penny! :)

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Hijack but would Saxon Teacher address this?

I was wondering if they were like Teaching TExtbooks and had the solutions to the problems also worked out on the discs???

Need to check into that, but thought it'd be faster to just ask here.

Yes, Saxon Teacher does have ALL of the problems worked out. Step by step explainations for all problems. My son used Saxon Teacher for Algebra I this year and it is WONDERFUL!! I just received the Algebra II book with Saxon Teacher last week.

Saxon Teacher and DIVE are CD Rom's which teach the lessons and the student watches as each of the problems are worked out on a "blackboard" - or maybe it's a white board. This allows them to re-watch the problems being worked as often as they need to understand. I haven't seen either of them except for a couple of minutes demo.

The Solutions Manual is a book which has all the practice and lesson problems worked out step by step and with the answer. What we do after the lesson is done, is my daughter reads her answers while I'm looking at the solutions manual. When she gets one wrong, I ask her to try again, and she works it again. Since I'm looking at the problem in front of me, I can usually see pretty quickly where she went wrong just based on her answer. If she needs help, it's really easy to direct her to find her error.

Could someone explain why Saxon Teacher is better than the Dive cd? I am considering going with Saxon Algebra, but was trying to decide which of these to invest in. I am still not sure that I will even be doing Saxon Algebra. Ughhh. Higher math is frustrating when trying ot decide on the best program. :tongue_smilie:

Could someone explain why Saxon Teacher is better than the Dive cd? I am considering going with Saxon Algebra, but was trying to decide which of these to invest in. I am still not sure that I will even be doing Saxon Algebra. Ughhh. Higher math is frustrating when trying ot decide on the best program. :tongue_smilie:

It's been a while since I've used Dive Math, but if memory serves Dive does not work through each problem in the set, Saxon Teacher does.

In Saxon Teacher the "teacher" works out the problem step by step while EXPLAINING what she is doing and why. This is done for EVERY problem in the text (it also teaches every lesson as well). This is much improved upon the DIVE cds, whcih we have used in the past. Also, it really is not a duplicate to the solutions manual because of the explanations it gives. I really can't express how great its been for us this year. My ds is in 7th grade and has just completed Algebra I with an "A".