Menu

Getting Started With Latin (hs credit?, what's next?)

Hi all,

My dd (8th grader) is working thru' Getting Started With Latin. Just wondering can I consider it high school level (1 semester course)?? If so, can I assign it .5 credit on her transcript?

Also, dd would like to continue with Latin in high school. What is a good curriculum to do after GSWL? I have NO latin background, so dd would do it independently. GWSL has been wonderful for her and she's done it all on her own and understanding!! Would really love to find something similar. I saw the auther (Mr.Linney) has a follow-up course - Linney's Latin Class. Anyone use this? I am hesitant to buy the book because it seems to have a narrow scope (I believe in the end of the bk dc will be able to read Caesar's commentaries on Gallic Wars)... Also, don't know if this constitutes 1 year of high school latin??

If anyone can offer suggestions for a Latin follow-up to GSWL and how much credit I can give for GSWL that would be so helpful!! I am clueless when it comes to Latin!! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks a bunch,

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

I've been to Mr. Linney's site a couple of times, I am tempted to use Getting Started with Latin with my upcoming 4th grader. I don't know the answer to your question, but Mr. Linney seems friendly enough. Can you e-mail him and ask him what to do? Reading Caesar's Gallic Wars is a traditional goal for Latin students of yore! Caesar apparently wrote in a very readable way and because it is of such great historical significance it is a great choice.

Another way to go about this is to maybe look at what is expected to be know by the National Latin Exam. The beginning test (whatever they call that first level) is really pre-high school, but the next tests would tell you what you need to know each year. http://www.nle.org

Hi all,

My dd (8th grader) is working thru' Getting Started With Latin. Just wondering can I consider it high school level (1 semester course)?? If so, can I assign it .5 credit on her transcript?

Also, dd would like to continue with Latin in high school. What is a good curriculum to do after GSWL? I have NO latin background, so dd would do it independently. GWSL has been wonderful for her and she's done it all on her own and understanding!! Would really love to find something similar. I saw the auther (Mr.Linney) has a follow-up course - Linney's Latin Class. Anyone use this? I am hesitant to buy the book because it seems to have a narrow scope (I believe in the end of the bk dc will be able to read Caesar's commentaries on Gallic Wars)... Also, don't know if this constitutes 1 year of high school latin??

If anyone can offer suggestions for a Latin follow-up to GSWL and how much credit I can give for GSWL that would be so helpful!! I am clueless when it comes to Latin!! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks a bunch,

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

This is from The Getting Started with Latin FAQ page:

What credit value does Getting Started with Latin have for a high school student?

That depends on what high school Latin class you were going to compare it to. At the high school I attended, we would have taken almost a semester to cover this material. Even then, many of the students were completely lost moving even at that slow pace. But other high schools may move faster. So it just depends on the school you are comparing it to.

Since she is in 8th grade and plans to continue latin, I personally would not award HS credit. (especially hearing that 4th graders can use the same book) We did GSWL in 8th and I plan to follow it up with Latin Alive.

Hopefully someone else with more Latin experience and more High School experience will chime in.

Grace

Is there a way you can determine the amount of Latin grammar that is covered in Getting Started with Latin? Typically a high school course covers all of Latin grammar in 2 years. So if GSL does 1/2 of Latin grammar it would be a high school course with 1 year credit. If it covers less than that I wouldn't give credit yet but rather consider it an introduction to more rigorous Latin studies in 9th and above for which you can give credit.

Heather

My son has worked through Getting Started with Latin, through the first four chapters of Latin Prep (less than a HS semester), the first five chapters of So You Really Want to Learn Latin (one semester), and is now working through the first book of Cambridge (one semester worth).

Based on all of that Getting Started really isn't equivalent to a high school semester of material. I wouldn't (and didn't) give any credit for it.

I gave credit at the end of the first semester of SYRWTLL. However, since we switched to a radically different program, that credit is going to go away.

I can't offer suggestions for what to use next. For us, I found it was important to have a program with lots of teacher support, meaning that everything in the entire book was translated in the answer key, that there was pronunciation help in the form of a CD, and, most important, that there were good assessment materials. Cambridge has all of these.