Menu

seriously feel like my head is going to explode

I feel sooooo lost. I found these boards and they are wonderful -full of great information. The problem is I have looked and read and researched curriculum and done it all over again! Still I don't feel like I have a clue!!!

And I'm not new!!!! Which makes it worse!

Problem is we have used K12 (as independent hs's) for the past three years. All the work is done for you.

Has anyone here used K12 or is using it now? Any thoughts on the curriculum? Are you happy you are now doing something else?

Anyone know how it compares to CLE?

I hope others chime in, but I do think MOH would be okay for an 8th grader. I would not do more than one book though. I feel like if you added a writing component to it, it would be worthy of 8th grade. What did you study last in K12? That would be a clue as to where to go next. If I'm not mistaken they do chronological history, right?? I would pick up where they left off. If you finished modern history, you could either start back with ancients, that way you'd have room for government and economics one year in h.s.

Have you read TWTM??? Don't try to read the whole thing, just read the part where your kids are. The further I get into this thing, the more I realize that SWB is spot on with her suggestions. Now, I don't like some of the particular curricula that she recommends, but the overall system is fantastic.

I don't know anything about CLE.

You can do this!!! Just relax and take one subject at a time. That makes it much easier to ask specific questions. Think about your goals for your kiddos and then you can research to see if there's something to meet those goals. Then you can ask questions here to confirm your research. I felt the same way last year with my dd going into 9th, but she's doing fine. You are a year ahead of that.

Another idea is to plan backwards. Think about what skills your dc lack in order to be ready for high school level work, then you can find resources to help fill those gaps. That's something I didn't have the luxury to do because my dd went to public school in 8th. I feel like I lost a year with her and am now trying to remediate. Some of the things I wish I'd had time to do is to make sure her grammar skills were strong, make sure she knew literary terms, make sure she had a basic idea how to outline and organize an essay, make sure her basic arithmetic was strong and she had memorized math vocabulary from pre-algebra.

Anyway, just some ideas to try to help you focus. I know you'll figure it out.

Julie

Edited by Julieofsardis