Menu

Question about TOG

I am currently using SL. I have two boys, ages 8 and 5. The oldest is using SL Core 2 (second year World History) this year and moving into SL Core 3 (first year U.S. History), followed by SL Core 4 (second year U.S. History). I'm planning to use SL Core P4/5 with the younger child for Kindergarten, followed by SL Core K for first grade.

I'm looking at a possible switch to TOG when the oldest is in 5th grade and the youngest in 2nd. I'm seeing a conflict with doing SL Core 5 (Eastern Hemisphere) with the older son while trying to do SL Core 1 (Ancient History) with the younger. TOG seems like it would be easier to combine for my family.

The main concern I have is the amount I've already spent on books for the early SL Cores. Part of the justification for the expense of Sonlight was knowing that the books could be passed down to my younger son. Can we use the SL lower Core books for my younger son while using TOG?

Both programs have an overlap of books, so it is quite likely that some of the books you've purchased will be recommended in TOG. As a rule for TOG, any book can be replaced by another book as long as it is the same topic. Book recs are topic specific not work specific....except for the Lit selections. For literature, it is easy to see why you need that exact book. But if you're studying The Nile in History, any ol' book about the Nile will work. I'd also suggest getting your year plan prior to selecting the books because there are often great notes at the end of each weekplan that offer money/time saving tips for combining kids in different levels by using one read aloud.

:lurk5: I am not a TOG user (yet) but I think you can research this by going to Bookshelf Central and peeking at the books used for each Year Plan and Unit. Here's a link https://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=login

You do need to create an account and log-in on this page. Then just follow the instructions to look at year plans and units. It's very helpful in seeing the books used and needed.

Hopefully a more experienced TOG user will chime in . . . :D

I used SL Cores 2, 3 and 4 before switching to TOG Year 1 this past year. I just recently purchased Year 2 and hashed out lesson plans for the year. I worked in most of our Core 2 books into TOG's framework for my ds 6. I tried to match up topics for each week. For the literature/read-alouds from SL, I just stuck those in throughout the year ignoring what was being studied in history that week. I think little kids need some fun literature sometimes without worrying about history all the time. Of course, I heavily modified TOG for next year as well because I don't like how quickly they zip through the Middle Ages/Reformation/Renaissance period. I modified it to be more in line with TWTM's four year history cycle.

You'll find a lot of crossover. I was gifted a ton of SL lit and we use it a great deal in TOG.

You can also resell you SL books with no problem, I'd imagine.

Just wanted to add that having multiple dc in one history is a Great help in our schooling. I blogged about TOG. My blog is below and you can scroll down and click on TOG to see what TOG is to us :) if you'd like.