Menu

Does your state allow part time attendence at ps?

Yes.

MN allows for shared time arrangements as well as open enrollment if you don't like your neighborhood district. However, that's all dependent on whether or not the district feels they have enough space to accommodate your child. Some districts are so popular and/or so impacted that they can't accommodate a shared time arrangement.

Indiana does. My dd13 is taking band at the ps this year. Next year she will be taking band, French and Algebra.

ETA: They don't allow sporty or extracurricular participation by homeschoolers though.

Edited by rwjx2khsmj

I don't know if it's by state or county--Our county (Fairfax) allows up to 2 core classes (math, science, english, history/gov, foreign lang) taken at your local hs if there's room. You have to register by March 1, I think--No participation in anything else. You can sometimes get into a different school if yours is full.

In Delaware homeschoolers are on their own. We aren't permitted to participate in any school activities / classes / sports / arts.....

The State requires all kids under 18 to take Driver's Ed through the public school. It's free for public school kids but private and hs'ers pay about $400 for the course. My PS refuses to let a hs kid into their classes.

Not here in TN. We are a military family living off post, but if we lived on post our children would be able to attend any class at the DOD (Department of Defense) high school. I'm not sure about sports, but I believe homeschoolers can do things like ROTC, band, etc.

No, but the private school (where I teach) does allow part time students. We have an upper school student who has come only for Latin since she left our "full time" status in 5th grade. When we have our high school (beginning in 2011-12), I expect we'll pick up some area hsers for math. :)