Menu

Has anyone used the Power Glide French I credit option?

I'm looking for a high school French course that is accredited/will provide the necessary *documentation* to satisfy university admission requirements. "French I and II" alone on a homeschooler's high school transcript won't be enough without further proof of study like a test score, credits from an accredited institution, etc. I know that community college courses would fulfill this requirement, but I'm looking for at-home options.

I'm trying to find an on-line/correspondence course for credit to do at home without the "class participation" that some programs require. (I'm still not sure HOW group projects are completed in an on-line setting, but some of the language courses that I've seen also require group projects.) Power Glide offers both a credit option (with no class participation) and a teacher-support option.

FWIW, I've studied French so I'll be able to help. My current plan is to go with French I and II through Power Glide in 9th and 10th grade to get that documented proof and then continue with French in Action.

Any thoughts/advice from Power Glide users? Did anyone have trouble using the credit option to satisfy college admissions requirements? Any other French programs that might work for us?

Merci!

I thought at one time that Powerglide had an online service. Is this not so? I do know that you buy Powerglide from Alpha Omega, so perhaps they might have something online. I bought my French Powerglide years ago, but we dropped it since my ds couldn't make heads nor tail of it. I hope you find your answer.

Yes, it's the on-line version of Power Glide that I'm looking at. I was wondering if anyone had used their for-credit option successfully. Your ds's experience with Power Glide worries me a bit. The website has a few demos, but not enough for me to really get a feel for it. I seem to remember comments from others over the years that it's boring. Boring we can handle, but if it's confusing as well then maybe I need to keep searching!

My daughter is enrolled in French I at our co-op and the text has been Powerglide. The teacher's have found that the grammar component is very weak, so they have added lots of additional grammar, as well as some conversation. My daughter has been frustrated with Powerglide, as she feels the story is quite impracticle. She has studied French before in Canada, and knows that when you visit a French speaking place, it is important to be able to ask simple questions like "Where is the bathroom", "Where is the bus", "How much does this cost", etc. Powerglide although creative does not do a good job of covering those basics....a standard text type French program will do a much better job. We had used Le Francaise Facille(The Easy French), which is good because it teaches the French phonograms. Potter's School offers a French program using Bob Jones material, which I have heard is good. The state we are living in has a virtual school, and my daughter and her classmates will be taking French II next year using the Virtual School....we can do one class for free. So, if you state offers any classes to highschoolers that might be a good place to start. If I can be of any other help, please PM me.