Menu

Excited for DS16 who got accepted to UW's Math Academy!

It's a 4 wk. residential program (they live in the dorms), for those interested in being future engineers, at the University of Washington. They do lots of math and problem-solving with UW profs and grad. students, visit businesses and industry using engineering (like Intel), and do fun stuff like visit Pike Place Market, Snoqualmie Falls, Museum of Flight, Rock & Roll Museum, and a camp where they get to do an obstacle course - zip lines, rope course, etc. . .it is totally free and DS16 is SO excited, since this is where he'd like to attend college. We were just there for their Engineering Discovery Days a cople weeks ago. I'm not sure how many apply, but it looks like they only take about 30.

http://www.engr.washington.edu/sites/default/files/prosp_students/docs/2010MathAcademy.pdf

Kimm

Sounds wonderful! My dd went to a residential math camp in Tacoma last summer, and she still talks about the day they spent at Pike Place. Congrats to your ds!

~Kathy

Get out! I work on the campus where that math camp is held (shh, don't tell which one!), and I love the math kids more than any of the other groups. One day a group of math campers was walking into the cafeteria, and one said, "Hey! Let's do the whole lunch thing in slow motion!" And instantly they all started moving in s u p e r s l o w m o t i o n. You gotta admire that kind of dedication. And the capes! Love it when they wear the capes. I'm so happy a WTM kid was one of them! :D

Congratulations Kimm! Your son will have a great time!

Edited by Nicole M

Get out! I work on the campus where that math camp is held (shh, don't tell which one!), and I love the math kids more than any of the other groups. One day a group of math campers was walking into the cafeteria, and one said, "Hey! Let's be do the whole lunch thing in slow motion!" And instantly they all started moving in s u p e r s l o w m o t i o n. You gotta admire that kind of dedication. And the capes! Love it when they wear the capes. I'm so happy a WTM kid was one of them! :D

!

Really, Nicole?! Wow, what a small world :)...yes, my daughter was one of those kids (the capes give it away!)

Hmm...if I'd have known a WTM mom was around last summer, I might have had a spy at the camp, LOL. Seriously, though, the mathcamp kids I've met really are a nice bunch.

~surprised Kathy

Sending you a PM, Kimm, since I promised Nicole I wouldn't tell which college she's at! :D.

~Kathy

Thank you for protecting my anonymity. Sometimes I need to talk trash about my employer, and I would rather that their name was not connected to mine on this forum. ;)

But just to give you a glimpse of how awesome the math camp will be, Kimm, let me tell you this. One day I walked into a classroom that had been used by the math campers and the blackboards were covered with... well, math. I don't even know what those symbols were. To me it looked like abstract art, except it was beautiful. It was like the white boards in scifi movies, in the control room for a space station or something. I stood gazing at this for a while, and one of the college kids, a summer conference worker, walked into the room, gasped and staggered. Then he said, "When I was their age, I only worked on simplifying one equation, all day, every day: Kaylee = HOT!" All of us working for the conferences were just so impressed and awed by those the math campers.

No better reason to make my first post, I think, than to congratulate a successful student. Well done!

What great news. I've heard such good things about the UW program.

I'm also delighted to hear that the math campers are well-received. My son attends the younger kid version of the camp Nicole and Kathy are discussing, and I've worried that the kids might be a bit of a challenge.

would a student who enjoys math and is a little advanced, but not brilliant in math fit in at one of these camps, or are these for kids who are very, very talented and advanced?

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

Yes, I bet he could find a camp. What I've noticed over the years is that summer math camp 'success' is correlated more with desire and persistence than sheer academic advancement. The competitive camps usually have an entrance quiz. Except for the most advanced camps, a good working knowledge of algebra and geometry is sufficient to solve the problems. The problems aren't simple by any means, but it's more creativity and being able to keep at them long enough to find a solution (which is where they need the desire and persistence:)).

Is your son about 8th/9th grade? You could browse some of the camps in the list I posted or look for more on your own. But if he's just entering high school, I'd recommend taking a look at MathZoom camp. My kids didn't go to that one, but I've heard good reports about it, especially how they have multiple tracks/levels of curricula to fit the kids. It's also not as long as some of the others, so it might be a good first experience.

hth,

~Kathy