Menu

9th grade Biology/ Biology 101 s/o

Ok, here is what I have in my cart at Rainbow for 9th grade biology:

Biology 101

Biology-100 reproducibles

biology coloring workbook

Experiences in Biology lab book (teacher & student -here is the description:

Recognizing the limitations of a homeschooling family attempting a high school lab science, Kathleen Julicher developed this laboratory manuals that are more suitable for people with limited equipment (and budgets). Selecting 12 - 15 of the 30 lengthy investigations in this lab manual to use along with any high school biology text will meet the requirement for a high school lab science. Students learn and use the scientific method as they describe, record data, create drawings, analyze results, and arrive at conclusions for each experiment. All of this is recorded by students in a separate notebook or in the optional Student Notebook. The Student Notebook is not just a blank book - it is a series of forms laid out to fit the flow of the experiments and record keeping, actually making the process more understandable. It is well worth the extra price. Topics included are: Zoology; Human Anatomy and Physiology; Cellular Biology; Botany; and Ecology. There are many experiments to choose from, depending on your student’s interests and the equipment you have on hand, including several dissections that require microscope related supplies. Includes list of materials needed for each experiment.

I also have ordered the book SWB recommends in WTM, the Self-teaching biology guide, for reference-it has a lot of evolutionary material, so I don't want to use it as main source, but I think it will be a great reference. I got it for $4 on amazon. I'm going to get a microscope and lab supplies after I pick the labs from Experiences in Biology. We are also going use the Handbook for Nature studies and the Outdoor One Hour Challenge blog. If we have time, I 'll add in Body by Design, and Genesis of Germs-I'm thinking this would be great for the research paper as described in WTM. And we would love to add some forensics. What do you think? Will this be adequate for a high school course?