Menu

Used curriculum

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Anyone else frustrated with people who ask full price for used curriculum? I understand buying something and then not liking it, but its your loss. I have bought lots of curriculum and taken a loss on it. If all homeschool moms would quit paying premium amounts then it would all have to be lowered. Its not right to charge more than 50% of what the full price was, but to me 40% is more considerate.

I would rather buy something brand new than pay a mom 90% of what she paid.

While I love a great deal, I expect prices to reflect condition and "demand" for the items. If someone bought a curriculum brand new and decided not to use it for whatever reason, then I would expect the seller to try to recoup as much of her loss as possible - obviously not full price, but I would expect like new to cost more than used.

I agree with the pp. A lot of people sell ppd as well, which cuts into their "profit". However, if I feel something is just too high, I will either just skip that particular item or ask the seller to sell for less. People who really want to get rid of curriculum will often sell for a bit less just to get rid of it. It never hurts to ask!

I sell my children's clothes at a consignment sale. I price items based upon (1) condition; (2) brand; (3) recency.

For example, I sold a used Gymboree halter sundress, in "like new" condition this spring for $20. It sold full retail for $30. This is a high-demand item (side note, I probably paid $15 or less for it). OTOH, I sold, new with tags, Gymboree navy blue slacks for $7.50 because no one would pay $15 for them (less demand). For the record, I recouped $500 selling my kids gently used clothes. $500 is usually our "seasonal budget" for the family. This fall, I will probably make another $500 (or more, as I have coats, and may have DVDs, CDs, tapes, toys, and books in the mix)

Selling used curriculum is no different.

My brand new, never been used Abeka Grammar curriculum, I will probably sell for MAYBE 50% of retail, but I'll probably have to do 40% because dd's name is on the front in sharpie marker. But, that LoF Algebra 1 set? I could probably sell gently used for 75% of retail.

I'm sorry you feel it's a rip-off, but no one is forcing you to purchase, either. If the woman can't sell it for what she has priced it for, she'll alter the price. Or, you could also offer her what you feel is a fair price, and she may accept it, if no other offers are around.

To me it depends on the demand of the item and how much it costs to ship. If you're selling one book vs. a whole packaged curriculum, I'd expect to pay a little more for the packaged one b/c it costs so much more to ship. I also tend to throw in things like insuarance, at my cost, for more expensive items.

We're also all free to counter-offer the price if the seller is asking too much.

Anyone else frustrated with people who ask full price for used curriculum? I understand buying something and then not liking it, but its your loss. I have bought lots of curriculum and taken a loss on it. If all homeschool moms would quit paying premium amounts then it would all have to be lowered. Its not right to charge more than 50% of what the full price was, but to me 40% is more considerate.

I'm not frustrated. I'm fed up.

I've always been a champion of "support the publisher so the publisher will stay in business" (pretty much everyone here knows it). It isn't a matter of snobbery: I have to save up and research the heck out of things before buying them, because I *know* it costs more to buy full price. But I also like knowing that, if something is wrong, I can call that publisher.

That said, after reading all of the rave reviews on this site, about using "used sales" to "try out" or "inspect" a curriculum, I decided to purchase a "like new" used curriculum from someone here with great rep.

I just spent two hours erasing and white-outing a supposedly unused workbook, un-dogearing a beat-up, supposedly unused textbook -- you get the idea.

I'm done. Never again. And this seller wasn't selling it at a fire sale price, either. It was something I would have considered "reasonable" for older version used retail - 50% off.

Caveat emptor. I'm sticking with original publishers from now on.

a

If the item is in LIKE NEW to NEW condition (that is, no creases, tears, rips, fold, bends, stains, writing, highlighting-- nothing at all) then I ask a little above 50%. BUT my prices include shipping (which makes it even less because shipping can get expensive) But when I price I price according to rainbow resource, amazon or CBD. If I have bought curriculum that I did not use, I ask 75% of what I paid (again where ever cheapest, rainbow, amazon, CBD) But that is for new curriculum. I never go above 75% Generally lower, depending on the demand! For something that is in HIGH demand that sells for 60 or 70 that I bought new, and ended up not liking or using, I see no problem pricing it between $40-45ppd (after all, it is new) A deal for the next buyer, not such a huge hit for me. If somebody doesnt like my prices they do not have to buy, but I find I get many emails when that happens (It has happened a few times with me, not a lot thank goodness!)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I was at GHEA's used book sale this weekend, where someone was selling a complete high school curriculum that retails for $425 for...drumroll...$400!

She did throw in a science book that was not part of the package, but there were plenty sellers selling that same science book for rock bottom.

Needless to say I did not buy it even though it's what we'll be using in the fall.

If I'm going to pay that much, I'll just pay the distributor.

Now all my previous post being said, if somebody mis leads their description at all, that is totally different! I personally buy as much used as I can (curriculum is EXPENSIVE) and generally I have awesome experiences. I did buy a book off ebay, that said like new condition. Well when I got it, the first few pages were falling out and the binding was very loose. The person had over 1000 good feedback rating. Oversight? Maybe. Hard to over see that, but who knows.

So People do need to be honest with their listing!

I've always been a champion of "support the publisher so the publisher will stay in business" (pretty much everyone here knows it). It isn't a matter of snobbery: I have to save up and research the heck out of things before buying them, because I *know* it costs more to buy full price. But I also like knowing that, if something is wrong, I can call that publisher.

That said, after reading all of the rave reviews on this site, about using "used sales" to "try out" or "inspect" a curriculum, I decided to purchase a "like new" used curriculum from someone here with great rep.

I just spent two hours erasing and white-outing a supposedly unused workbook, un-dogearing a beat-up, supposedly unused textbook -- you get the idea.

I'm done. Never again. And this seller wasn't selling it at a fire sale price, either. It was something I would have considered "reasonable" for older version used retail - 50% off.

a

Did you ask for your money back? That sounds like a dishonest seller to me. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Guest Katia

a

Oh, yeah. BTDT, only it took me several times of erasing and white-out before I came to my senses.

For the last five years, I've only purchased new from the publisher. Best years of homeschooling we ever had! This is a lesson I wish I had learned earlier. Good for you, Asta!

I can understand what the OP is saying. While recognizing that I have the choice about purchasing, I'm puzzled to see used prices so high on these boards. When someone offers their curriculum at 85% of retail, I immediately think why wouldn't I just pay slightly more and get it new? Free shipping is frequently an option for new as well.

It is mildly frustrating to spend 45 minutes searching ads only to find overpriced or already sold items. On the other hand, items seem to fly off these boards. Too bad there isn't a way to delete a FS listing when it is gone. (or maybe there is?)

a

Asta, if you decide to "try again", you may be very pleased with used curricula purchased from Follett. The company is picky about what they will sell. I have not, I admit, ever bought a workbook from Follett. I have, however, bought many textbooks and teacher texts from them over the years. Service is fast, and every single item has been "clean" -- no stains, no tears, no mess. Not everything you wish to buy will be among their stock, but you might be surprised at the choices !

I do think it's a little ridiculous to see curricula priced that high online. Why would I take the risk when I can spend the same amount (or a little more) and buy new, knowing that it will be in perfect condition? At a used curr sale, if I can inspect it, then yes I'll pay full price if it is in new condition.

Yes, I do think it is a bit ridiculous for a seller to ask full price for used curriculum - if they are stating that it is used - however, if someone else is foolish enough to buy it at the price, then "way to go, seller." As a buyer of used curriculum, I rely on my own research to determine what is a good price. If someone lists something at a price that is too high, then it probably won't sell, and that's the seller's loss.

Don't sweat it...just don't buy it!

That said, if they're misrepresenting the condition, that's just wrong.

I have no problem with someone asking whatever they want for something. It's my decision whether or not to buy!

:iagree: I would never ever buy anything for over 50 %, and I only buy in "new or like new" condition. It is easier for me to just buy brand new, as many don't describe curriculum like I would. :D

a

Asta, that is a bummer and I am sorry that was your experience. In general, I have found that the items sold on this board to be a good value and to be represented accurately. In your case, I would have contacted the seller with a copy of her ad and explained that the item was not as described and give her a chance to refund a portion of the sales price. If that wasn't the an option for her, then you could have rated her accordingly.

Asta, that is a bummer and I am sorry that was your experience. In general, I have found that the items sold on this board to be a good value and to be represented accurately. In your case, I would have contacted the seller with a copy of her ad and explained that the item was not as described and give her a chance to refund a portion of the sales price. If that wasn't the an option for her, then you could have rated her accordingly.

That was the problem: it wasn't in the ad. It was in the PM that I asked her about the condition of the items. So, to all outward appearances, I got what I got.

I kept the PM, rated her accordingly, and left comments for the mod in the rating section along with a quote of what she had written to me in the PM. After the whole thing was through, I noticed that she actually hadn't been to the boards to do anything but sell in quite some time (no conversation or question posts). If I had been paying better attention, that would have been a red flag for me. I doubt contacting her would do me any good. Like I said - caveat emptor.

a

I have been happy with the items I have purchased used (not just here but on abebooks and such). I *do* think it would be helpful to have a condition rating system, but I've posted about that before.

I do agree with the OP about some items. I've seen used, workbook-less sets of SSRW sell for more on ebay than a band-new intact set costs from the publisher.

That said, I have a huge stack of curriculum here to sell, it's all in good condition, some of the books are OOP and in demand but it feels like so much work to sell it. Plus, we've seen SO, SO many people freak out when they demand a seller ship media mail and then don't receive an item for 45 days. It feels like a lot of trouble and drama for not all that much money back. If they do not sell at our used curriculum fairs this summer, then I might list them on the board, but I might just rather give them away.

I tend to fall into the used is too much hassle camp. I tend to be pretty picky about condition of curriculum. If the price for new isn't much different, I'll pick new. I also have a few publishers I like to support.

As for pricing of used curriculum, shipping has gotten to the point if it's an inexpensive workbook it's easier to list on paperbackswap or give away. I've even been checking amazon for trade in value. They even pay for shipping.

Writing in the book is probably the one that irks me the most. It should be listed in the description and be specific. "Some" is a subjective word.

I recently took some items to a homeschool bookstore for trade. I got less than what I could have sold them for, but it saved me postage and time.

I guess I'd rather buy a curriculum at 90% than at full price. If you think it is too high, just don't purchase it from them. I'm a believer that the market drives the prices and if no one was willing to pay 90% than they'd have to sell for less.

I also think about things like the hassle factor -- do I have to take forever to find the seller, arrange payment, wait 2 weeks for her to go to the post office, and so forth, or can I just buy it and have it come? Even from used bookstores, there tends to be more customer service (understandably so -- it's a business) than from individuals, so I tend not to complain about slightly inferior-than-stated conditions from them, but I do when it's a store.

That being said, I do love used books.