Menu

What we are doing for 10th grade

Does this look do-able?? Any recommendations for US Government, Precalculus, Music Theory???

Ds and Dd will be doing for 10th grade:

English 11 Composition and Literature: using Kaplan AP English Language and Composition. Also plan to use "Research and Writing Across the Curriculum". They each will pick two literature themes (1st semester Dd wants to do poetry and Ds wants to do science fiction and they need to pick another theme for 2nd semester).

U.S. History using Teaching Company DVD's with Kaplan AP study guide.

1/2 credit Consumer Ed/Econ using Glencoe Consumer Ed & Econ.

1/2 credit US Government.... still need to pick curriculum.

Spanish: still working on details but hoping niece will do this with DD and DS (she has a teaching degree and is taking additional classes to be a middle school teacher/spanish teacher). Otherwise they will do BYU.

P.E will continue as we did this year. Kung Fu (both), YMCA workouts (both) , Bowling league (Ds), Civial Air Patrol PFT (Ds).

Ds will also do:

Precalculus (still need to pick a curriculum) but thinking of doing BYU

Chemistry (Wiley Self Teaching Guide Chemistry and Teaching Company DVDs).

Physics (Wiley Self Teaching Guide Physics).

Dd will also do:

Geometry (Larson's Geometry or BYU)

General Science (Joy of Science DVDs)

1/2 credit Human Geography (DeBlij, Human Geography text)

Music elective (possibly music theory and continue music lessons)

They may take AP exams, or SAT subject tests, or CLEP tests end of 10th grade... we shall see how much they accomplish. This year sure was a eye opener-LOL.

Edited by AnitaMcC

not to get your original question off track...

I have not heard of Wiley Self-Teaching guides. Have you used them in the past? If so, could you give a brief synopsis??

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck on the 10th gr plan!:)

not to get your original question off track...

I have not heard of Wiley Self-Teaching guides. Have you used them in the past? If so, could you give a brief synopsis??

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck on the 10th gr plan!:)

I haven't actually used them before... but these are recommended in TWTM for high school science (page 543 of 3rd edition). But we are also going to have college texts on hand as a filler when Ds wants to delve into anything deeper or needs more reinforcement.

anita, are you having her take the AP Language and Composition course or the AP Literature course?

I was confused because the title of the Kaplan book is AP language and Composition. Lang & Comp will focus on nonfiction, essays, speeches and literary criticism while being able to write in a rhetorical manner. Poetry and Science fiction might not fit in here well, however they would fit in with AP Literature which emphasizes the uses of literary elements and interpreting literature.

Your schedule looks great, I was just confused about the above.

anita, are you having her take the AP Language and Composition course or the AP Literature course?

I was confused because the title of the Kaplan book is AP language and Composition. Lang & Comp will focus on nonfiction, essays, speeches and literary criticism while being able to write in a rhetorical manner. Poetry and Science fiction might not fit in here well, however they would fit in with AP Literature which emphasizes the uses of literary elements and interpreting literature.

Your schedule looks great, I was just confused about the above.

You read it correctly. The main focus of their English course will be langauge and composition. The AP exam we are aiming for is Language and Composition but I also wanted them to read some literature so that is just a add on. They both do well with nonfiction.

My Ds#1 struggles a bit with literary analysis due to his autism. He is very strong with Language and writing otherwise. So I figured for 10th grade we will work on it some but not too much to make him struggle and get stressed out (he does not cooperate at all when he gets frustrated-:banghead:). He loves to read... science books and sci-fi stuff. This year he read Beowulf, Gilgamesh, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knights and he wrote book reports on these... a summary of what he read. He is to read one more book this year and write another report.

Over this summer, they are to read two more books just to read (nonfiction). Next year (10th grade) I will touch on literary analysis but very lightly and probably this will happen 2nd semester, so the 1st semester their literature theme is what they enjoy to read (just to get them to read!!!!).

Their 11th grade, I will aim to have them do a literature analysis course and try to broaden both their reading areas of fiction novels (but probably not AP level so not likely do the exam).

Does this make more sense? I am hoping I am on the right track and still help strengthen their weak areas.