Menu

Miquon-Singapore Link?

LAmom

I cant help you with that non-working link.

You can view different pages of each book's samples on currclick.com and sonlight.com.

I want to add that the C-rods are really a very intuitive manipulative that you can use with any math curriculum, esp. with Singapore. You can teach the 4 math operations, GCF and LCM, squares and (if you have enough rods) cubes. If you get the base-10 set with the rods, you can also teach place value.

I was surprised to find this page that teaches the English Verb Tense System using the Cuisenaire Rods!

HTH

Edited by nansk

First, I really would not worry about any magic schedule. All the topics in Miquon are neatly labeled by "operation" so it is really simple to line up new concepts to do in Miquon first (which is generally best) if that is what you desire.

Second, part of the Miquon "thing" is to show all this stuff is inter-related and to de-emphasize the need to follow a "schedule." This may drive "planners" nutty, but it proved much to my liking.

Third, even if you find samples you may find them either somewhat perplexing or even a little weird. The beauty of Miquon becomes apparent as you read the teachers materials and start implementing the ideas. Much of Miquon involves using C Rods as a concrete version of the Singapore "wholes and parts" method. And it totally makes sense (once you "buy in").

And there is a certain liberating "vibe" that comes across too. One that was perfect for my son and I. But it is not everyones cuppa.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Much of Miquon involves using C Rods as a concrete version of the Singapore "wholes and parts" method. And it totally makes sense (one you "buy in").

I agree. For instance, LAMom, if you look further into your SM 1B book, you'll see how multiplication is taught using bar diagrams, which is essentially, a pictorial representation of the C-rods.

BTW, this link will give you the info you need. :-)

Thanks for all the input! I probably would use MEP...but I just don't get how so many people can use it without the answers. :confused:

OK--might go with Miquon or Math Mammoth....or CLE or .....!!!! :D

I probably would use MEP...but I just don't get how so many people can use it without the answers. :confused:

I believe there are answer keys for the higher levels of MEP. You may want to join the MEP Yahoo group and post your questions there. MEP is 'scripted', so if you need that hand-holding, it is suitable. MEP goes upto high school level.

--might go with Miquon or Math Mammoth:D

I like Math Mammoth too. It is well laid out and very easy to use; said to be similar to Singapore math. My dd works on level 1 with only a little bit of guidance from my dh. There is no pre-reading/pre-work needed on the part of the parent. If you child likes explicit instruction, go for MM. MM goes halfway upto grade 6.

Miquon is also good, but very different from the above programs and needs much more parent participation. There is a lot of pre-reading needed on the part of the parent. If you child likes to discover concepts on their own, go for Miquon. Miquon goes upto grade 3.

HTH