Menu

Can I use the undamaged burners on my glass cook top if

the other side of the stove is undamaged?

A bottle dropped out of the overhead cabinet and put a star-shaped break on the stove top, near the forward left corner. One burner is affected. The cook top will need to be replaced (shhh, I am secretly joyful because I did not select this range and really don't like it... but I did *not* break it on purpose!). But DH is out of town this week. Is it safe to use the unaffected burners?

Mine developed a HUGE crack on the front burner about a year ago. I never used that burner anyway---so no great loss. I just avoid getting wet stuff near the crack (esp grease) and NEVER turn it on. I heard the crack is from putting a hot lid there (something about suction). I'm secretly glad too--just need the $$$ for a gas stove.

Lara

I asked here first 'cause I think you folks know *everything* and it's usually faster that dallying around on a google search, but I did google and look what I found...

"The top can not be repaired. The glass must be replaced . DO NOT USE IT CRACKED!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very dangerous as it can explode from the temperature. Also this is a severe electrical danger as glass top units have exposed elements underneath. Any liquid at all can short it out and cause a fire."

Yikes! I am glad that no one here reported any problems, but I have decided I won't use it. The initial point of impact left a pretty deep mark, and there are many veins to the star-shaped break, so it's more than a small place where liquid could enter.

Glad I thought to ask before attempting to make spaghetti. PB & J it shall be! FWIW, I can't imagine it blowing up, but it is not a risk I care to take. Flying glass and all that. I just didn't know if there were "exposed elements" underneath, and apparently there are. Lara, be careful!

Edited by AuntieM

I dropped a large glass lid on mine...the FIRST time it was used!!!

It had a large crack halfway across 1/3 of the cooktop. I used the undamaged 3 burners (there are 5 total) for the next 3 years without a problem.

Over time however, the crack began to spread until it went all the way across, and pieces began to break out of the crack making it even wider. At this point I replaced it.

You do NOT necessarily need to replace the entire stove. I called the manufacturer and gave them the model #. They had the replacement glass in stock and shipped it to me for a fraction of the cost of a new stove! If you do this though, I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later just in case that particular glass is no longer available. I actually ordered our that same day, but I figured I would use the old broken one as long as I could ... I was afraid I might break the new one too! Happily we have been using the new top for 4 years now without incident :D.

While I greatly prefer cooking on a gas stove, I absolutely love the easy cleanup of the cooktop!!

My SIL's stove has had a crack in the top for years, and eventually a triangular chunk of the cooktop fell in. She has been using it all along. I don't know if this is safe/advisable, but she hasn't had any problems in the 4+ years it has been cracked, and she cooks alot!

• 1 year later...

Well thanks ladies...I did a google search and guess what board came up with answers??? WTM ;)

My dd dropped a glass dish out of a cabinet and of course it caught just a tiny bit of the cooktop and I have a crack over the back burner. Sigh. We're going to replace it...but was wondering about using the other burners that are not near the crack.

And then my youngest dd broke my new sunglasses...just a few minutes ago.

Anyone else want to break something? Seems like things happen in threes....praying I'm wrong. :D

That's so funny, Jo. I was surprised to see this old thread pop up.

In our case we discovered that a replacement top would cost near three fourths the cost of a new range, so we went ahead and upgraded, another glass top range, though. We are moving soon and I am going to put in a gas cooktop. Not only do I prefer the flame control with gas, I am tired of babying the current cooktop!

How nothing else breaks for you and your stove is easily fixed.

"The top can not be repaired. The glass must be replaced . DO NOT USE IT CRACKED!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very dangerous as it can explode from the temperature. Also this is a severe electrical danger as glass top units have exposed elements underneath. Any liquid at all can short it out and cause a fire."

Yikes! I am glad that no one here reported any problems, but I have decided I won't use it. The initial point of impact left a pretty deep mark, and there are many veins to the star-shaped break, so it's more than a small place where liquid could enter.

Glad I thought to ask before attempting to make spaghetti. PB & J it shall be! FWIW, I can't imagine it blowing up, but it is not a risk I care to take. Flying glass and all that. I just didn't know if there were "exposed elements" underneath, and apparently there are. Lara, be careful!

I am so glad you decided to play it safe. My first thought when I read your op was "explosion". Safety first!

• 9 years later...